Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 03, 2024, 09:35:28 am

Author Topic: 2011 AFL Season  (Read 19291 times)

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
Re: 2011 AFL Season
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2011, 06:22:41 pm »
firstly, i don't even support the dogs. Neither am i saying that sacking Eade was the right decision. All I am saying is i see the board's train of thought and agree with them to an extent. Eade has already been there 7 years and gone through one cycle. They did not even get to a grand final. The calibre of players that have gone / going out over these few years is too much to cope with (hall, johnson etc.) And when did i even talk about list managment :S

Didn't even make a grand final?? By your logic i could say all the coaches for saint kilda from 1966 onwards (including ross lyon) are/were shit, worthless people who should never have been hired.

The dogs made plenty of finals before Hall joined the party. And tbh he was 32?? when he moved over to WBD?? and i actually think that Barry Hall made the WBD forward line a lot more one-dimensional and predictable. Their strength was the fact they had plenty of players who kicked 30+ goals for the season. After Hall came that number dramatically reduced.

And Brad Johnson was nothing more than a handy half-forward for the last couple of years of his career (in which they made prelims), he actually became detrimental to the team towards the end of his career. When he was in his prime, the dogs were actually in the bottom eight.

and lastly..lol

you talked about your list getting old and that the dogs need to rebuild? that = list management and recruitment. Which as i reiterate is more primarily the duty of a list manager/recruiter
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2011, 06:30:45 pm »
firstly, i don't even support the dogs.
We had a good run and a good crack but our list is getting old and we need to rebuild.
I thought you did as well from that statement.

Anywho Dogs still have a decent list imo. Cooney and Griffin are hitting their prime, they have guys like Grant and Roughead who are coming along nicely along with Ward and Higgins. Yes most of their big players are 30~ but that's not gonna stop them making finals next year. Personally i think Dogs and Saints should've recruited a couple of players since the 2009.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2011, 07:13:44 pm »
Bulldogs aren't gone yet. We've had a horror run this year and had some crap luck last year, otherwise we could well have been in (lost) the grand final to Collingwood. If Hall goes then the forward line will hopefully return to its pre-2010 state of unpredictable goals and high activity.

I'm ambivalent on Eade leaving. He could have stayed, could have left, there are good arguments for both decisions.

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2011, 11:11:42 pm »
firstly, i don't even support the dogs. Neither am i saying that sacking Eade was the right decision. All I am saying is i see the board's train of thought and agree with them to an extent. Eade has already been there 7 years and gone through one cycle. They did not even get to a grand final. The calibre of players that have gone / going out over these few years is too much to cope with (hall, johnson etc.) And when did i even talk about list managment :S

Didn't even make a grand final?? By your logic i could say all the coaches for saint kilda from 1966 onwards (including ross lyon) are/were shit, worthless people who should never have been hired.

The dogs made plenty of finals before Hall joined the party. And tbh he was 32?? when he moved over to WBD?? and i actually think that Barry Hall made the WBD forward line a lot more one-dimensional and predictable. Their strength was the fact they had plenty of players who kicked 30+ goals for the season. After Hall came that number dramatically reduced.

And Brad Johnson was nothing more than a handy half-forward for the last couple of years of his career (in which they made prelims), he actually became detrimental to the team towards the end of his career. When he was in his prime, the dogs were actually in the bottom eight.

and lastly..lol

you talked about your list getting old and that the dogs need to rebuild? that = list management and recruitment. Which as i reiterate is more primarily the duty of a list manager/recruiter

I didn't say Eade did badly at recruiting which is what you implied.
Don't chuck words into my mouth. What are you talking about? The bulldogs were expected to peak in 08-11 and to at least reach a GF
If their peak is a prelim loss, their not good enough

firstly, i don't even support the dogs.
We had a good run and a good crack but our list is getting old and we need to rebuild.
I thought you did as well from that statement.

Anywho Dogs still have a decent list imo. Cooney and Griffin are hitting their prime, they have guys like Grant and Roughead who are coming along nicely along with Ward and Higgins. Yes most of their big players are 30~ but that's not gonna stop them making finals next year. Personally i think Dogs and Saints should've recruited a couple of players since the 2009.
i was trying to speak from the board's POV

cbs arguing more. I have nothing to gain from this when you just chuck words into my mouth. I don't even have a contention. I'm just saying i see why the board did it and agree to an extent. In some ways at least it is the correcdt decision

sorry i couldnt resist :P

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2011, 06:49:58 am »
Even better moment: Shaw stealing/smothering the ball when he was llike 2m out :p

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2011, 05:07:34 pm »
Great job Collingwood FC, very happy that we've secured Swan, Pendles and Thomas. All we need now, is for Maxwell to hand the captaincy over to Pendles then he'll be here for the next 5+ years :P
Pies by 32 tonight.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2011, 10:26:25 am »
Great job Collingwood FC

+1, they lost by 96 points. Best game this year in terms of the result :)

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2011, 10:44:09 am »
Great job Collingwood FC

+1, they lost by 96 points. Best game this year in terms of the result :)
i thought both teams were gonna take it easy xD a big loss is good in that it should fire up the team next week!!
Lol how was the a good game in terms of the result? Collingwood getting smashed?.. hhaaha

Moderator action: removed real name, sorry for the inconvenience
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:24:41 pm by pi »

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2011, 10:45:50 am »
Lol how was the a good game in terms of the result? Collingwood getting smashed?.. hhaaha

Pretty much :) As an essendon supporter, I love to see collingwood get the collywobbles, esp as it is so close to finals!

Why is collingwood a team that one either hates or loves?

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2011, 10:49:24 am »
+2
Why is collingwood a team that one either hates or loves?
Because most ppl go for either Bombers, Blues, Hawks or Richmond. Who all have a strong sense of hatred towards each other. But i hate the saints the most :P

Moderator action: removed real name, sorry for the inconvenience
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:24:14 pm by pi »

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2011, 10:53:52 am »
You're right, I dislike all of Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton and the Hawks.

I feel sorry for Fremantle though, I can't see them ever winning a flag with their Melbourne record.

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2011, 10:58:35 am »
Yeah freo have been really unlucky this year, they should make top 8 next season but yeah their interstate record isnt too good..

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2011, 11:56:58 am »
lol the colliewobbles!!!!!!!

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2011, 10:50:31 pm »
Pwwwooooaahhhhhh!!! What a bloody amazing game!
Looking foward t the granny next week :D Pendles for brownlow :P

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2011, 09:32:40 am »
I think the two Carlton boys will have the Browlow locked up, just not sure which one

Good game, unfortunately Collingwood won :(