Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 05, 2024, 02:43:08 pm

Author Topic: SMF 2.0!  (Read 42708 times)  Share 

DavidB3ck

• CTO
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I do things sometimes.
  • Respect: +45
SMF 2.0!
« on: July 16, 2011, 03:00:59 pm »
Just a quick announcement for members and staff...
We are now upgraded to the newest version of SMF, and have merged all the states into a single forum. Right now the forum is still under construction, but will be taken out of maintenance mode soon. Check back often! The next few days will be kind of rocky as we get all the kinks ironed out and all the settings tweaked to our liking. Expect some changes. We do apologize for the inconvenience, but we believe this was a necessary step in our evolution. This was a giant upgrade (and massive undertaking) and the forum software architecture has changed slightly. Some of the data... Like avatars and post attachments for instance... Could not be transferred over. Depending on demand... I will code something to port attachments (>2gb worth) over if need be. However, I will be leaving the old forums up for the time being at http://www.atarnotes.com/agora/. They are in maintenance mode (read-only), but it will give anyone interested an opportunity to acquire anything (like avatars and attachments) that wasn't transferred to the new forum.

Plans (pre and post public opening):

All boards marked [new] were manually added to guide in the organization and consolidation of the forum. Boards which are not tagged were directly imported and will soon be disappearing into the new boards. Once this is complete, the [new] tags will disappear. For the moment, this does not apply to VCE. Since we already have a large established VCE community, we left the boards intact to aid in the transition. However, they too will eventually end up looking like the other state forums. Boards will be grouped, consolidated, and arranged all pretty-like. :)

The main page of the forum has replaced the national forum, and anything that applies nationally and has no point being in every state forum will be moved there. DuplicationFTL.

As SMF serves as the backbone for the entire site, other parts of the site will need some work to become compliant. Shouldn't be too many glitches with this, but this is a warning just in case. As always, let us know if anything breaks/is broken.

The current theme will be modified to better suit the aesthetics of the site.

Settings... Permissions... Etc...

Hopefully all these things will be completed during this week.
Thank you for bearing with us. <3

PS: If you're logged into the old and new forums at the same time, you can expect to see things like 'session verification failed' and session timeouts. If it becomes troublesome... Log out of one of them. Or clear yo' cookies.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:31:33 pm by DavidB3ck »

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
Re: SMF 2.0!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 04:59:51 pm »
I really just want everybody to know how hard David has worked on this. At least 20-30 hours in the last few days.

It is a herculean task, and we ask for your patience while we do this. The forum will be back up ASAP :)

P.S. C'arn the mighty sainters!

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:49:18 pm »
Both of those posts were made before we realised none of you could see them :P

But we've now done pretty much everything detailed above in that post. If you notice any bugs, please chuck them here and we'll get on them ASAP. :)

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 10:51:45 pm »
OH also, I still need to make HSC, WACE and SACE look like VCE but they'll be trimmed down like us too (it's just that their being like that didn't affect reopening the site so I'll do those ASAP). Let me know what you think of the new layout and structure. All feedback welcome, because this was just our best guess at what would work in combining all states into one massive forum. We think we've really managed to make it a trimmed down forum that still has easy access to all the boards you guys use

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 10:57:59 pm »
Whilst no one else can read this... enwiabe smells!
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 11:03:29 pm »
Whilst no one else can read this... enwiabe smells!

smells like what?

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 11:07:41 pm »
Good work folks. (Y)

Bugs! Message of the Week links to post in "recycle bin".
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 11:08:09 pm »
If you think you have found a bug, please clear your cookies and log in again and if the problem persists, please post it here.

Thu Thu Train

• Voted AN's sexiest member 2012
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • <3
  • Respect: +336
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 11:13:51 pm »
Posts on a users page only show posts made in the national forum before the merger
        (
     '( '
    "'  //}
   ( ''"
   _||__ ____ ____ ____
  (o)___)}___}}___}}___}   
  'U'0 0  0 0  0 0  0 0    0 0
BBSN14

i actually almost wish i was a monash student.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 11:16:22 pm »
Posts on a users page only show posts made in the national forum before the merger

Confirmed. Now a known problem, hopefully will be rectified in the next 24 hours.

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 11:19:33 pm »
Please note that this thread should be kept for bugs.

Any suggestions for change please be redirected to this thread: Suggestions for changes in SMF 2.0
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 11:20:39 pm »
Have problems posting 2 minutes before.
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

gossamer

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 11:23:56 pm »
If you're going to have a "Messages of the Week" on the front page, maybe you should make sure it doesn't include posts in the "Recycle Board" :P

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 11:24:38 pm »
i cant log out :(

it says :

Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.

how am i meant to try logging out if it doesnt let me lolz
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

gossamer

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 11:25:34 pm »
i cant log out :(

it says :

Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.

how am i meant to try logging out if it doesnt let me lolz
Clear your cookies :)