Are there any tips for preventing silly mistakes? This has probably been asked before, but the amount I make is disastrous, like the 2012 vcaa Ex 1, I lost 7 marks to silly mistakes. 
Last year in my bound notes I dedicated a page to my most common silly mistakes. I had a checklist of things I had to check through each question if I had enough time. It was mainly things such as units, checking working, what form of answer does the question ask for. A key point, if you have the time, is not moving on to the next question until you have reread the question you have just finished. Keep on trying to minimise silly mistakes. It may seem like you're not getting anywhere but at some point soon it should all come together 
good ideas!
re-reading the question and stuff is always my best tip for reducing silly mistakes
if you have time, you can often try to solve the question a different way, or backwards, 'testing' your answer to see if it came out right
in some questions, you can just use common sense to tell if an answer is horribly wrong or not based on the context (like, a 1000m tall building is possible but suspicious)
also, go over your exam after you finish if you still have time on the clock and look for things you missed! i lost a mark in specialist last year for forgetting to write the range in a question that asked for domain and range, one of the easiest marks on the paper