Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 04:22:29 pm

Author Topic: Tutoring technique?  (Read 6366 times)  Share 

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
Re: Tutoring technique?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 08:48:31 pm »
+2
+1
(Goddamn you Paul, give the rest of us curries a chance!)
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

navydolphins

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 08:53:37 pm »
30 p/p is excessive. Try get some one on one experience first

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 08:54:20 pm »
Would highly recommend you do some one to one tutoring before putting yourself in the deep end.

But with 4-5 students, definitely stand up.

As for what your charging, you have to use your own judgement. I personally wouldn't say your time or knowledge (with all due respect) is worth 200$/hour regardless of how many kids you have, also a bit ambitious for first year. The biggest group I've taught for vce tuition is 6 and I charged 15$/hour per person.
Before I started, (well I'm starting tomorrow but still) I made the decision to cap the number of students in a group at 3, otherwise I think with any bigger it may start to not be as beneficial for the students. But then it depends on what you can handle. Although I think I'd prefer singles as it would be easier to pick out what they need to work on and actually have time to work through that area with them.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 08:56:06 pm »
Thushan and Taiga, seriously guys =.=" why must I always get picked on? :P

Anyway, I've been thinking of tutoring for a while now and something that's always bugged me is why's this guy called Jack (in Springvale) so popular, like he earns something like $10,000 per week (I calculated it - but it's pretty rough estimates of how many students rock up - it varies so much)

But his mantra seems to be something along the lines of this
1) Hand out really good high quality notes
2) Be funny, humiliate yourself and let the students laugh at you
3) Dumb down the course
4) Call chicks "babe" and tell everyone you're gay
5) Do lots and lots of examples and minimise theory (pretty much neglect it)

What do you guys think? :S

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 09:04:47 pm »
+1
30 p/p is excessive. Try get some one on one experience first

The problem is that this group actually approached me and I wasn't even advertising or anything! There aren't many people out in the Werribee area who have got 40+ in both spesh and methods (not being arrogant, but it's true, most schools around there don't even offer spesh), and I think it'd be fun :) (it's just a crash course after all, and even if I'm not a great teacher, the notes I've got in store are pretty awesome imo)

Anyway, I've been thinking of tutoring for a while now and something that's always bugged me is why's this guy called Jack (in Springvale) so popular, like he earns something like $10,000 per week (I calculated it - but it's pretty rough estimates of how many students rock up - it varies so much)

Pretty sure he gets way more than that per week, at least double

just on the price, personally i wouldn't be willing to pay $40 for 1.5 tutoring from a first year uni student, who with no disrespect intended, hasn't achieved completely mindblowing scores, in a group of half a dozen ish, espeecially if your tutoring the same group 8 times (i was a bit confused, you doing 8 seperate sessions with different groups or the same group?)
No offence taken, I agree with you, lowered my "draft" price to $30. It's the same group for about 8 sessions (making up a summer crash course), just to cover one of the maths (to be decided, but I think it's going to be spesh as they apparently have bad teachers) :) Bit like TT's course, except mine is probably going to be less intense and I'll have less tricks ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 09:13:05 pm by Rohitpi »

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 10:21:09 pm »
+1

3) Dumb down the course

Dayumn. Here's my mantra.

1) Give notes only when necessary - i.e. chem.
2) Principle-bash and give lots of examples of the principles from everyday stuff
3) Be understanding, friendly, non-judgemental, non intimidating. Then students aren't afraid to ask you questions.
4) Treat them as your mates/friends. You're a first-year uni student, make them comfortable.
5) To keep them awake, keep firing qns at them :D

Obviously they're nowhere near as good as Jack's otherwise I'd be earning $10000 per week as well ;P
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 10:24:38 pm by thushan »
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2011, 10:27:53 pm »
5) To keep them awake, keep firing qns at them :D
Just don't do what nacho does when hes being ignored :P -> Re: Are you able to lucid dream?

Anyway, I think I want to try and give my students a good understanding of the theory behind it (at this stage anyway), rather than just the methods to making it work, if that makes sense. That way they should be able to tackle anything that comes their way.

Do you guys get what I mean? Like focussing on understanding rather than blindly spamming methods/questions.

EDIT: Like I'm still going to go through the method, but focus on why we do it that way, what it actually means.

EDIT2: I suppose it still depends on the student, they are not all the same, some learn in different ways. I can't wait to start though :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 10:51:33 pm by b^3 »
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 01:54:01 am »

3) Dumb down the course

I estimate his weekly income even higher than that, probably in excess of $20,000

Average of 40 students per class, $25 p/p, 18(?) lessons a week = $18,000 - realistically I'd say it's an average of 50 kids, though.

Anyway, I went to Jack's for Chem and Physics for parts of the year and found his classes worthwhile, because they were both engaging and enjoyable. He also taught different methods for varying problems from that of my teachers (which I found more difficult to understand than Jacks)

If you get to know him well, he'll also help you individually between classes when he can, as well as giving notes ahead of time if you are working ahead of the class.

edit: Sorry if this looks like I'm trying to lure students away from Rohit for this way not my intention, I was just trying to explain that I found Jacks tutoring to be better than you described. Luckily for Rohit Jack lives in the south-east whilst he lives in the west, so no competition there.

@ Rohit: Think about what price you would be willing to pay for a person teaching for the first time. Money shouldn't be too much of an issue. Charging $25 p/p would give you $125 for 90 mins. Although, this doesn't count the time you put into making notes, it is still quite a lot.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 01:57:13 am by Phy124 »
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup