Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 09:12:05 pm

Author Topic: Anyone here play golf??  (Read 1980 times)  Share 

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +36
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Anyone here play golf??
« on: January 15, 2012, 08:51:02 pm »
I am looking to get started playing golf, since I've been forced to give up cricket due to various shoulder/hand injuries  :(
I had one lesson and the instructor said that my swing looked pretty good, I just had to work on hip/shoulder rotation.
So yeah. Is there anyone here (experienced or not) that wants to talk golf?
2012: VCE - 99.10
2013: PhB(Sci)@ANU

Reckoner

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +60
Re: Anyone here play golf??
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 09:45:38 pm »
YES! been playing for about 4 years. I played cricket before golf too, and in my first lesson the pro said my swing was too much like a cover drive haha. Anyone following the Open in Hawaii? I haven't as much as I'd like to because of the cricket.

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 10:42:23 pm »
YES! been playing for about 4 years. I played cricket before golf too, and in my first lesson the pro said my swing was too much like a cover drive haha. Anyone following the Open in Hawaii? I haven't as much as I'd like to because of the cricket.
Haha yeah the instructor did say that he could tell I'd played cricket. Yeah honestly I've just been watching the cricket, I love it. It was hard to force myself to stop playing :(  it's for the best though.

Got any golf tips for a beginner? My swing is starting to shape up quite nicely, I just have to work on consistency and distance.
2012: VCE - 99.10
2013: PhB(Sci)@ANU

Reckoner

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 11:27:57 pm »
The best advice I got when I started (mainly for irons):
1. twist and transfer your weight to the front foot
2. cock your wrists at the end of the back swing, while making sure it isn't to vertical
3. you should make a divot (or just hit the ground) just after the ball, not where it lies
4. A shorter shot that is on the fairway in better than a further shot that is in the rough; DON'T try and hit the ball too hard while you are still learning your swing

That's just what worked for me, but the best thing to do is to go out and play a few rounds on an easy golf coarse. Mixed with an occasional lesson (I had one every 2-3 months for the first 2 years) you should see some steady improvement. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:10:23 am by lpe »

Jdog

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 01:01:10 am »
yeah mate, Im a massive golf fan.
the biggest piece of advice i can give is be patient

golf can be so frustrating when you are starting out..

nisha

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hum Honge Kamyab.
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:21:35 am »
Does Golf on Wii count?
Melbourne University-Science-Second year

Am taking in students for CHEMISTRY and MATHS METHODS tuition for 2014 as well as first year chemistry. If interested, pm me. Flexible with location.

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught [/i]