Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 08:02:35 pm

Author Topic: Post your subject selection related questions here  (Read 58775 times)  Share 

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +53
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2009
Re: Post your subject selection related questions here
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2012, 09:40:29 pm »
I have no idea if what I'm doing is right. I'm currently trying to fit in 4 subjects per semester which I've managed to do (with the help of breadths - one which I haven't decided on yet. Then when I scroll down I see 'Option for BA-MAJORS Majors' and 'Option for BA-MAJORS Major 2.' What am I supposed to do with these categories? I'm planning to do a double major in Crimonology and Politics and International Studies but if that's not possible, then a single major in Politics and International Studies.

You don't have to plan the majors until later, but if you want to now, simply do a blank search in majors and select a major. Then it will create 3-4 more slots for your major subjects (I think it should be 3, but not sure). Then do a blank search for majors 2, and you should have the option of either doing a second major or not. Click one of those. It may not work exactly like this, but this is how the commerce one worked last year so..
2012-2015 - Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ UniMelb
2010-2011 - Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Pure Mathematics @ UniMelb
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2012, 10:09:46 pm »
sooo.. i've got these subjects (for bSC)

1. Biology of cells & organisms

2. Genetics & the evolution of life

3. an optics subject

4. calc 2

and i'm stuck withhhhh: chemistry

I haven't done chem in vce so i'd have to do chem fundamentals and then would i do chem 1 after and/or chem 2 after? Would it mean for studying chemistry i'd have to do 2  chem subjects (chem fundamentals, chem 2) or 3 chem subjects (chem fundamentals, chem 1, chem 2) ?

If I did have to do chem fundamentals, chem 1, chem 2, would I still be able to do: 1. Biology of cells & organisms

2. Genetics & the evolution of life

3. an optics subject

4. calc 2

Because i'm unsure whether i'd have to cancel a subject to do chemistry, with all this fundamentals stuff.. seeing as we can only do 6 subjects (excluding breadth) first year?

I really hope this makes sense lol
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2012, 10:15:06 pm »
Your post is a bit confusing but you can do Chemistry 2 over the summer; so you don't need to cancel anything. That's what i will be doing
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2012, 10:16:00 pm »
Your post is a bit confusing but you can do Chemistry 2 over the summer; so you don't need to cancel anything. That's what i will be doing

Do you know when that starts/finishes? :S

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2012, 10:17:23 pm »
And do you happen to know whether you enrol in chem 2 for the summer through the selecting subjects process in enrolment online, or somewhere else?

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2012, 10:19:27 pm »
Not exactly sure but probably around january or febuary??? and it will finish before start of semester 1.

And enrolment for summer courses starts in November (around there), you would have to wait until then. you can do it online when they start enrolment for summer courses

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2012, 10:20:21 pm »
Not exactly sure but probably around january or febuary??? and it will finish before start of semester 1.

And enrolment for summer courses starts in November (around there), you would have to wait until then. you can do it online when they start enrolment for summer courses

thanks so much! :)

liuetenant

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2012, 10:23:38 pm »
in regards to summer subjects...do you just have to pay for the subject as though it was an additional thing. It's not the full price or whatever...but discounted with the HECs? i think i read somewhere you had to pay full or soemthing...CAP subjects...these aren't it, are they?
2010: TNT (39)
2011: English (42) | Bio (39) | Chem (35) | Jap (35) | Methods (36)|

ATAR: 95.50 ( i actually got my prediction! :D)

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +53
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2009
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2012, 10:27:39 pm »
in regards to summer subjects...do you just have to pay for the subject as though it was an additional thing. It's not the full price or whatever...but discounted with the HECs? i think i read somewhere you had to pay full or soemthing...CAP subjects...these aren't it, are they?

No, that is only if you are over the subject limit. Otherwise it is entirely part of your degree and there is no difference in payment (ie, it is still CSP).

Pretty much starts the first week of january, goes for about 6 weeks, 7th week is exams, 8th week holiday, 9th week start of semester 1.
2012-2015 - Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ UniMelb
2010-2011 - Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Pure Mathematics @ UniMelb
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2012, 10:42:55 pm »

No, that is only if you are over the subject limit. Otherwise it is entirely part of your degree and there is no difference in payment (ie, it is still CSP).

Pretty much starts the first week of january, goes for about 6 weeks, 7th week is exams, 8th week holiday, 9th week start of semester 1.

dammmnnnn... no room whatsoever to recharge my batteries -.- my fault for not doing vce chem :/

nubs

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2012, 10:44:35 pm »
Is it draining not having the summer semester off, dc302? Or does it not make too much of a difference anyway?

I'll only be doing Chem 2 over the summer term btw
ATAR: 99.15

BSc @ UoM
2012-2014

ex oh ex oh

jasrulz63

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2012, 11:09:07 pm »
The alternative is doing well in Fundamentals of Chemistry, skipping Chemistry 1 and doing Chemistry 2 in semester 2 with all the VCE Chem students :)

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2012, 11:33:52 pm »
The alternative is doing well in Fundamentals of Chemistry, skipping Chemistry 1 and doing Chemistry 2 in semester 2 with all the VCE Chem students :)

When you mean well, do you mean consistent H1s? lol

jasrulz63

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2012, 11:37:24 pm »
Not consistent H1's, you just need to go well in Fundamentals of Chemistry, it's either 80+ or 85+

Plan-B

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2012, 11:47:55 pm »
If I'm concerned with my GPA..
Is it better to take easy subjects as compared to something more demanding and heavy? Are subjects moderated in any way? :s