Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 24, 2024, 04:58:00 am

Author Topic: Exam Discussion  (Read 54455 times)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Re: Exam Discussion
« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2012, 07:59:25 pm »
what did everyone do for the blood agglutination Q!?!?!? I did D where A or B is added to AB, because i thought it would be B or C where A is added to B visa versa but i couldn't ??? circle both!

No, you're right. Adding anti-A or anti-B Ab to blood group AB causes agglutination. Adding anti-B to A and anti-A to B does nothing

scbrother

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Macleod College
« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2012, 08:20:36 pm »
^ praise the lawd!

vagrantshades

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: MLC
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #167 on: June 12, 2012, 08:23:12 pm »
That question stumped me though. I ruled out A for obvious reasons. B and C were replicas of each other, so I assumed they couldn't be picked, so I went for D which was the most different. XD WHOOT!

Gazillionaire

« Reply #168 on: June 12, 2012, 09:10:10 pm »
is it glucose or sunlight that provides energy for ATP phosphorylation?

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2012, 09:12:53 pm »

Sunlight ultimately does this.
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

Sapphire

« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2012, 09:17:15 pm »
^ Yeah, especially since they were asking for the original source of energy

I'm quite unsure of one of my answers, the one asking for why the percentage of infected adults with Pertussis increased even though they had been immunised as children...
I said something along the lines that the antigens on the virus may have mutated and a new strain of the virus infected the adults to the one they had been previously immunised against.
What did you guys say?

vagrantshades

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: MLC
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #171 on: June 12, 2012, 09:38:36 pm »
Something along those lines! I was stupid though, I wrote that, and then I crossed it out and said that they hadn't been immunised, then I read it again and realised they had, so crossed it out AGAIN and wrote that they were mutated. Hope the examiners can see my answer amongst the crossing out. :P I underlined it and everything so yeah.

MisterTransistor

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2012, 09:57:36 pm »
I'm quite unsure of one of my answers, the one asking for why the percentage of infected adults with Pertussis increased even though they had been immunised as children...
I said something along the lines that the antigens on the virus may have mutated and a new strain of the virus infected the adults to the one they had been previously immunised against.
What did you guys say?

I wrote that the memory cells formed from initial immunisation had not been stimulated throughout their life time and so they eventually were broken down and not replaced. Would this get a mark?

saheh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #173 on: June 12, 2012, 10:04:47 pm »
Yeah I wrote kinda the same thing, like they hadn't had booster shots or sonething
2012: 97.45
Lit: 36 Further: 39 Eng: 41 Bio: 42 Revs: 42 Outdoor: 49

spherelin

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School: Presbyterian Ladies College
« Reply #174 on: June 12, 2012, 10:26:01 pm »
hey i dont remember the last MC question, but i recall it being about HIV and it had letters like R S and P or something or rather... what did you guys pick? It was the one after the HIV test tube thing... lol already forgot the whole exam

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #175 on: June 12, 2012, 10:44:32 pm »

Almost all the energy we find occuring in biological systems ultimately has came from sunlight. Carnivores and Omnivores get all or most of their energy from Herbivores (these aren't great distinctions as you'll find out in uni) which obtain their energy largely from plants which ultimately obtain their energy from the sun.

It's the same with fossil fuels as well, that energy ultimately came from the sun.

The original/end source is sunlight though.

(With the exception of sulfur-reducing bacteria and other things you really don't need to know about for VCE, you can assume pretty much all energy in biological systems result from the sun)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:46:17 pm by kingpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

LOLs99

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #176 on: June 12, 2012, 10:46:06 pm »
hey i dont remember the last MC question, but i recall it being about HIV and it had letters like R S and P or something or rather... what did you guys pick? It was the one after the HIV test tube thing... lol already forgot the whole exam

That question is confusing. I wasted like 5mins for it. And I hate the ethylene scratchy question. Omg they wanna trick us and now they fell into trucking themselves for the compound Y for the last 2 pages one...apparently compounds are ATP,NADPH but that can't be
2014-2016: 

2017-2018: Master of Engineering

Jezza

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #177 on: June 12, 2012, 11:47:33 pm »
Who felt like they were ripped off a bit today.

I felt like the writers excluded sections of the course such as plant hormones and rational drug design. In every other year, rational drug design had been on the exam and I'd usually seen a plant hormone question as well.

spherelin

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School: Presbyterian Ladies College
« Reply #178 on: June 12, 2012, 11:50:27 pm »

That question is confusing. I wasted like 5mins for it. And I hate the ethylene scratchy question. Omg they wanna trick us and now they fell into trucking themselves for the compound Y for the last 2 pages one...apparently compounds are ATP,NADPH but that can't be
YES!!!

I felt like the writers excluded sections of the course such as plant hormones and rational drug design. In every other year, rational drug design had been on the exam and I'd usually seen a plant hormone question as well.

yess ! i, again, feel the same! they did way too much on immunity. hey what did you write when they usked us what actions the australia health body or w/e they are called, can take when responding to the new bacteria...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:00:41 am by spherelin »

Jezza

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2012, 12:04:17 am »

YES!!!

yess ! i, again, feel the same! they did way too much on immunity. hey what did you write when they usked us what actions the australia health body or w/e they are called, can take when responding to the new bacteria...
I think I wrote it can immunise the person upon return to Australia and then the person can be quarantined for a short period of time.