Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 04:06:05 am

Author Topic: ATARNotes Suggested Solutions for VCAA 2012 Chemistry Unit 3 Exam  (Read 27288 times)

AllAboutTheLGs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Goon King
  • School: Glen Waverley Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: ATARNotes Suggested Solutions for VCAA 2012 Chemistry Unit 3 Exam
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 03:56:12 pm »
^ yeah dude lets rape the unit 4 exams
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine at The University of Melbourne

arikupe2

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Scopus
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 03:57:22 pm »
with working out the average iron content in the tablets, shouldn't the answer be 30mg as opposed to 36?

Because they gave us a standard solution of concentration 0.00g/L of tablet that still absorbed some of the radiation (0.006 abs), implying some Fe was present as impurities in the water used to dissolve the tablets (it also didn't say 'deionized water')... Then if we're working out the amount of Fe in the tablets, wouldn't you need to discount the amount of impurity also absorbing some radiation (equivalent to 6mg of Fe in the water)?

Or is that looking too much into it?

nina_rox

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 03:59:03 pm »
For stearic acid could the state be a gas? :/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:07:03 pm by nina_rox »

Surgeon

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Determined to score a 50 in English.
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 04:07:04 pm »
How many marks would I lose if I wrote tristearic acid instead of stearic acid and my balancing was out by a factor of 3?
Aspiring doctor. Why? For the same four reasons as everybody else. Chicks, money, power and chicks.

shmootz

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Mount Scopus Memorial College
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 04:10:29 pm »
with working out the average iron content in the tablets, shouldn't the answer be 30mg as opposed to 36?

Because they gave us a standard solution of concentration 0.00g/L of tablet that still absorbed some of the radiation (0.006 abs), implying some Fe was present as impurities in the water used to dissolve the tablets (it also didn't say 'deionized water')... Then if we're working out the amount of Fe in the tablets, wouldn't you need to discount the amount of impurity also absorbing some radiation (equivalent to 6mg of Fe in the water)?

It could also be an absorbance of the cell... that's the point of using a 'blank' initially. I didn't take off 6mg, but others did and I think they are right..

- Stone

2011: Methods [44]
Aims for 2012: English [41] Accounting [43] Religion & Society [43] Chemistry [43] Further [43].

ATAR aim: 98.00 to study Law/commerce at Monash Clayton in 2013

http://adamad.am

illuminati

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 06:14:59 pm »

It could also be an absorbance of the cell... that's the point of using a 'blank' initially. I didn't take off 6mg, but others did and I think they are right..

- Stone

err, nah they'd be wrong
It's because it says the concentration is 0 when you have absorbance at 0.06. Impurities were therefore never counted as part of the concentration.

2010: Chinese SL (36 ---> 45.6), Accounting (48 ---> 48.4)
2011: English (47), Methods (50), Spesh (43 ----> 52.7), Chemistry (48 ----> 49.3), Physics (38)
ATAR: 99.90
2011 UMAT:
S1:[105] S2:[45] S3:[90] Overall:[80] Percentile: 100th

Need chem/methods tutoring?
I'm offering it based predominantly in the south-eastern suburbs (Caulfield-ish) - PM me.

Louise clover

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 01:32:29 am »
hi there, jst a few confusing points, for the fatty acid identification question, i put down stearic instead of stearic acid, is that goin to get me zero marks? for the technique to identify the pure propyl ester i put down hplc, instead of glc, and one  last mistake i think i made was that i chose to describe IR spectroscope as the technique we learnt this unit and i only mentioned bond energy instead of bond length and strength, is that wrong?

sorry, that i have many questions, im a bit nervous.

Thank you!

jenwing

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Northcote High School
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 10:46:37 am »
Posted by: Louise clover
« on: 9 hours ago » Insert Quote
hi there, jst a few confusing points, for the fatty acid identification question, i put down stearic instead of stearic acid, is that goin to get me zero marks? for the technique to identify the pure propyl ester i put down hplc, instead of glc, and one  last mistake i think i made was that i chose to describe IR spectroscope as the technique we learnt this unit and i only mentioned bond energy instead of bond length and strength, is that wrong?

Thank you!

-I did the exact same thing...

Louise clover

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 12:58:18 pm »
how many marks would they take off if i have the correct balanced equation but maybe one or more wrong states?

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 01:00:12 pm »
how many marks would they take off if i have the correct balanced equation but maybe one or more wrong states?

you'd get 1/2
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 01:01:00 pm »

Thank you!

stearic? hmm that'd be touch and go. i'd pay it, but I'm not sure of the chief examiner though. chances are he'll pay it, apparently he's quite fair

bond energy is fine. bond length, strength, energy, they're talking about the same thing. as for hplc, you may get away with it, i'm not entirely sure.

Louise clover

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 01:36:51 pm »
how do we get consequencial marks in a chemistry exam, because i put down propanol instead of propan-1-ol, and i did the same thing in the flowchart that describes how we could extract pure propyl propanoate, but when i write down the semistructural formulae, i put down propan-1-ol. would i loose alot of marks for this?    :-\

Louise clover

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 01:42:47 pm »

Thank you!

stearic? hmm that'd be touch and go. i'd pay it, but I'm not sure of the chief examiner though. chances are he'll pay it, apparently he's quite fair

bond energy is fine. bond length, strength, energy, they're talking about the same thing. as for hplc, you may get away with it, i'm not entirely sure.

thank you so much  thushan!

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 02:02:59 pm »

Thank you!

thank you so much  thushan!
no worries!

BambooPanda

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 03:58:59 pm »
Hi guys, for the question that asked how the sample can be tested to be pure I wrote GC but said something along the lines of:
If only one peak is present in addition to the carrier gas peak (assuming carrier gas produces a peak) then the sample is likely to be pure.

Last night I just remembered that the carrier gas is inert and won't produce a peak... So I'm wondering if I would get atleast 1 mark out of the 2 marks allocated for the question?