Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 04:30:47 pm

Author Topic: Medicine FAQ / So You Want To Be A Doctor  (Read 192536 times)  Share 

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +102
Re: Medicine FAQ / So You Want To Be A Doctor
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2015, 06:46:31 pm »

Thankyou !

My undergrad is science based (under faculty of medicine actually) hence basic sciences - biology, chemistry, biochemistry and physiology are our main aspects of focus.

Does med school refer to MBBS ? Thankyou ! :)

Yes or the MD.

Does not having a leadership position at school affect your chances of getting into med school? I know it sounds like a dumb question but I'm really worried

It can make you more appealing since doctors eventually are envisioned to lead a team to coordinate treatment plans and procedures. In saying so, it won't make or break your application. As long as you have leadership qualities and have the grades and the character, not being the school captain or SRC won't be a big deal.
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2015, 07:06:29 pm »
+1
Does not having a leadership position at school affect your chances of getting into med school? I know it sounds like a dumb question but I'm really worried

The interviews supposedly ask you more about your character, personality, how you think, and how you would react to some scenarios you may come across as a med student. If you get the opportunity to talk about any leadership positions it can give you a slight boost though. That being said, it's not imperative, and I know of several people who've gotten into medicine without having any previous leadership position
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

excelsiorxlcr

« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2015, 09:42:37 pm »
Once you are through to the interview stage at Monash University, do both your UMAT, ATAR and interview performance determine whether you get a VTAC offer? Or at this last stage, does ONLY the interview count? Sorry if this question has been asked already!!!!!!!!!!  :)

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2015, 09:55:31 pm »
At a guess, it's probably not that black and white. I've interviewed people and I've been interviewed a lot and you're always weighing up every aspect. If you got through to the interview via ATAR/UMAT just under the wire, you may need to perform more exceptionally than others in the interview. Why worry about that stuff anyway? It doesn't change anything.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2015, 10:04:11 am »
+1
Holding a school leadership position is quite unlikely to matter in the interviews, given the predetermined question types. Monash don't use 100% interview score for selection, they weight it against your UMAT and ATAR as well  (unless it's changed recently).

Redoxify

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
  • School: UoM
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2015, 10:47:55 am »
+2
Guys the umat is like almost the most important aspect of undergrad med, be attuned to the umat, it is one tough exam :(
2014-2015: VCE
2016-2018: Bsc Melbourne Uni

Redoxify

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2015, 11:17:45 am »
For the interview guys, do you need to have bs school leadership positions to make you sound involved and more social? What if you have never joined a club, in school or out, would you be disadvantaged if this was the case though?

Look it can and can't influence them, if you achieve the marks on umat and your interview goes well in some aspect, they cannot deny you a spot just because you didn't do any activities, however if you do have activities under your belt they do see you as more open in the community and involved thus being a better candidate.

Redoxify

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2015, 11:28:06 am »
So I have to fake my interests and go for clubs despite that I don't persinally  want to?
Actually you don't have to, I'm saying if you do have co curricular then you seem to stand out more, if you do well then you don't need to worry as much

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2015, 11:30:21 am »
As the OP says, the older 'panel' system of interviewing is gone and you will only be asked predetermined questions, which will be the same for every candidate. I find it unlikely that you will be directly asked about your cocurricular activities, but you may be able to use them in answering a question about what you do outside study/medicine.

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2015, 11:57:16 am »
Haven't gone through the process myself but something like these would be more similar to what they'll ask of you.

.Mrs. Jones has signed a donor card indicating that she is willing to donate her body to science without notifying her husband and son. She gets into an accident and it is determined she is brain dead. The family doctor, who is on call that afternoon, reviews the chart and determines that she would be perfect for medical students to practice the removal of organs for transplantation purposes. The doctor then talks to the family to discuss the procedure and to confirm their consent. They both oppose the procedure and refuse to allow their doctor to move forward. The doctor points out that Mrs. Jones could be helping hundreds of people by educating the medical students and that technically consent has already been provided. The husband understands how beneficial the educational experience is but is too emotional to allow them to continue. The son, a medical student, refuses because he knows the bodies are not treated with dignity. If you were the doctor, how would you proceed? Why?

Scenario: You are part of a five person project worth 35% of your overall mark. The marks are supposed to be the same for each group member. One person is not contributing and is absent at meetings. He doesn't do what he says he would do.

a) What would you do?
b) What do you do if other members of your group had different solutions?
c) What do you do if he still doesn't take your advice?
d) What do you do if he told you it was because his mother was sick in the hospital?

Tell me about a time when you had to make an important decision that included other people.

a) How did the decision affect the other people?
b) How did you decide on your final decision?
c) What was your final decision?
d) What were the advantages and disadvantages of the decision?

They're more likely to ask for your experiences and insight than your own leadership qualifications.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #190 on: March 21, 2015, 03:42:33 pm »
With taking the GAMSAT, do you have to be studying to take it ? As in, do you have to be in university or can you be practicing ?
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #191 on: March 21, 2015, 09:27:58 pm »

With taking the GAMSAT, do you have to be studying to take it ? As in, do you have to be in university or can you be practicing ?

No you don't have to be studying
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #192 on: March 21, 2015, 09:29:18 pm »
No you don't have to be studying
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2015, 02:26:47 pm »
You have to be a legitimate applicant though; you still can't take it in your first year or in a situation where you won't be using it to apply to medical school (this is obviously super subjective)

scarletmoon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2015, 03:20:23 pm »
If you come from a disadvantaged school will they be more easy on you? (In terms of getting into undergrad med)
2016-2019 Bachelor of Science @ UoM