Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 05:31:09 pm

Author Topic: The Culture within AN  (Read 32781 times)  Share 

nisha

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hum Honge Kamyab.
  • Respect: +117
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: The Culture within AN
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 10:37:01 pm »

Enwiabe, with all due respect, I would like to say that it's best to argue the fallacy in thinking rather than the person. :)
Thankyou.
Melbourne University-Science-Second year

Am taking in students for CHEMISTRY and MATHS METHODS tuition for 2014 as well as first year chemistry. If interested, pm me. Flexible with location.

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught [/i]

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 10:42:59 pm »
I'd just like to comment on how ironic it is that abes22 had no shortage of likes to give the recent facebook statuses I made that were critical of Islam.

I guess what you're really trying to say is that we should all be very sensitive about Christianity. Other religions? Nah, no need. They're not the "one true religion".

The hypocrisy of your double standard is utterly astounding.

I liked something because I agreed with it. Your quotes were objective, and true. They were not false or misrepresented, so I liked them. I have never stood for moral high ground of Christianity, if you remember correctly, I said on that evolution thread:

I have no problem with criticizing religions, I regularly make criticism of religions, including my own.

This is exactly the bahaviour I was talking about - why am i being attacked? You can make any point you like whilst remaining respectful.

This is precisely the hypocrisy I was talking about. Only -your- version of religious criticisms are valid. Apparently.

This also answers Thushan's point. I do like arguing the individual person's thinking. What you don't like, abes, is that I went after your own logically fallacious reasons for believing in god. You're claiming that I can't do that for whatever arbitary reason. I can only attack the scripture itself, according to you.

And then you dived for the victim card. You trotted out 3 statements I made that you claimed were personal insults.

I debunked each of them as merely critiques of your views. You did not respond to this at all, and despite my efforts to allay your concerns, you ignored it and continued to pretend that they were personal insults. You are still doing it right now and that to me is the height of duplicity.

Your double-standard is "my criticisms are the only valid criticisms". Good luck with that! :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:51:09 pm by enwiabe »

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 10:47:19 pm »
Let's cool this down before it gets heated up. Btw enwiabe that above post was better in my opinion, less personal, more attacking the thing rather than the person. :) More constructive.
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 10:48:04 pm »
+1
Depends on what the purpose is. Is it to express your disgust, or is it to change their opinion? If it's the latter, then harsh words may not work.

I disagree. I think social shaming of harmful attitudes is a big part of holding people accountable. A large reason of why there is so much disgusting material on the internet is the complete lack of accountability. Honestly tell me a situation where in real life someone would tell a woman, to her face, that she is inferior to a man, and it wouldn't be followed by an angry reaction that tells him he's being a douchebag? Why is it so much different online?

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2012, 10:52:36 pm »
I agree with your point, but remember that I said "is it to change their opinion?" Will they feel accountable? That is the question. Are they amenable to argument?

If it's to express your and society's disgust to, in a way, prevent others from following the same pathway, then your point is entirely valid.

Cappuccinos

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2012, 10:53:39 pm »
+1
I suggest removing the ability to vote for respect from the religious debates.
Everyone has different beliefs it just doesn't work there.

+1  ;)

Maybe it would be a good idea to disable voting on posts in the rest in the water cooler like what has been done lifestyle & entertainment and rants & debates boards?

I don't really see why "News & Politics" "Sports" and "Technology and Gaming" boards are treated differently to the "Lifestyle & Entertainment" and "Rants & Debates" boards 

There are helpful posts in all those boards (okay, maybe not so much rants & debates :P), but does someone who suggests a good book to read not deserve the same thanks as someone who suggests a good protein supplement? Anyway, if I recall correctly and like previously mentioned the posts which are most oftened +1'd/-1'd in the Water Cooler seem to be the posts that owing someone who offers an alternative opinion to the majority/being witty etc.

Example (love ya epl) "Off-topic, but: I think you should have your own thread called 'Surgeon's lyf problems thread'. The amount of threads you start just about your own issues/queries is just lol-able. There are people employed at your school to answer these specific questions (i.e. Careers counselors). Sorry if I'm being too critical or harsh, but I don't think I'm the only one of this opinion." This received a whopping +44.

Does a person who expresses a majority's opinion deserve to be higher that who helps with a tricky chemistry/maths etc on the tutors list? I'm not really sure.

But disabling the up/down voting should encourage people to speak out without fear of backlash and dodgy posts can always be removed/edited by the moderators :)

Just my humble opinion 8)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:56:26 pm by Steph243 »

Water

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +116
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2012, 10:55:22 pm »
+1
your own logically fallacious reasons

There is a difference between attacking reasoning and attacking the person.

I'll be direct, you do both and quite successfully  ;)

Depends on what the purpose is. Is it to express your disgust, or is it to change their opinion? If it's the latter, then harsh words may not work.

I disagree. I think social shaming of harmful attitudes is a big part of holding people accountable. A large reason of why there is so much disgusting material on the internet is the complete lack of accountability. Honestly tell me a situation where in real life someone would tell a woman, to her face, that she is inferior to a man, and it wouldn't be followed by an angry reaction that tells him he's being a douchebag? Why is it so much different online?

When a woman is being hurt; the ideal situation would be that a bigger person would come, protect her, and tell the guy calmly to back off, or the people around her to calmly tell that person, to back off, and protect her.

Your argument is as bad as following the herd mentality.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:59:42 pm by Water »
About Philosophy

When I see a youth thus engaged,—the study appears to me to be in character, and becoming a man of liberal education, and him who neglects philosophy I regard as an inferior man, who will never aspire to anything great or noble. But if I see him continuing the study in later life, and not leaving off, I should like to beat him - Callicle

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2012, 10:56:23 pm »
Steph, that is a great idea and I'm going to remove respect for the Water Cooler right now :)
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

abeybaby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +182
  • School: Scotch College
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2012, 10:56:50 pm »
This is precisely the hypocrisy I was talking about. Only -your- version of religious criticisms are valid. Apparently.

no, only objective criticism of religion is valid. i cant look at buddhists and say buddhism is peaceful. i cant look at muslims and say islam is violent.
you can only make these judgements by reading the koran/hadith/bible/torah/whatever that religion is meant to be.

I think social shaming of harmful attitudes is a big part of holding people accountable.

you are very fortunate that the rest of the members are not like you.

Smarter VCE Lectures and Resources

2014-2017: Doctor of Medicine, University of Sydney.
2011-2013: Bachelor of Biomedicine, University of Melbourne. 2010 ATAR: 99.85

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2012, 10:58:36 pm »
Everyone here is nice, but whenever you see a religious debate sprout up
Nan and Dina will flame the crap out of the opposition in the most ridiculously unnecessary manner.

Like, we get it, you hate religion (or not? feel free to correct me, but please don't be vindictive about it) but is it necessary to really demean the members/go to that extent?
You look like the biggest immature jerks when you do it, and you're the admins of this forums. I could imagine it being pretty scary for new members who want to voice their opinion but are scared of the ban stick.

A part from mostly everyone is nice and gets along except for that occasional weirdo (there's one in every year i swear)

Shout out to:
TrueTears and pi for being the biggest bosses on this forums.

Moderator action: removed real name, sorry for the inconvenience
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:18:36 pm by pi »
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2012, 11:02:15 pm »
What about me nacho? :( Im sad. :P jks jks.

Anyway, "no, only objective criticism of religion is valid. i cant look at buddhists and say buddhism is peaceful. i cant look at muslims and say islam is violent. you can only make these judgements by reading the koran/hadith/bible/torah/whatever that religion is meant to be."

I disagree here. This is assuming that the Scripture defines the true religion. Is this entirely true? If this were the case, would there be many denominations of say Christianity and Islam? Do we classify these as the same? Or different? Do we consider Catholicism equivalent to Jehovah's Witnesses?

I think that each interpretation of scripture and values are what should be critiqued, not the scripture itself, as functionally...it's immaterial.

abeybaby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +182
  • School: Scotch College
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2012, 11:02:55 pm »
Like, we get it, you hate religion (or not? feel free to correct me, but please don't be vindictive about it) but is it necessary to really demean the members/go to that extent?
You look like the biggest immature jerks when you do it, and you're the admins of this forums. I could imagine it being pretty scary for new members who want to voice their opinion but are scared of the ban stick.

the fact that you even have to say that shows how serious this is

Smarter VCE Lectures and Resources

2014-2017: Doctor of Medicine, University of Sydney.
2011-2013: Bachelor of Biomedicine, University of Melbourne. 2010 ATAR: 99.85

MonsieurHulot

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2012, 11:03:30 pm »
I think social shaming of harmful attitudes is a big part of holding people accountable.
I don't believe that public shaming of someone's beliefs is acceptable at all. How can someone feel accepted and valued in a community where it is okay to insult them simply because you think that their ideas are harmful? I think that your aforementioned is harmful, but does that give me the right to insult you? No, not at all.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2012, 11:03:39 pm »

Hey Mr Hyperbole, name one person that has been banned just because they disagreed with me or enwiabe
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2012, 11:05:09 pm »

Hey Mr Hyperbole, name one person that has been banned just because they disagreed with me or enwiabe
(myself LOL) okay but i deserved those.
I never said you'd ban them, but when you have two admins going off their nuts because they're atheists, it can come off as intimidating to new members who don't know you too well, wouldn't you agree?

What about me nacho? :( Im sad. :P jks jks.
suck it thushan!
TrueTears and pi for admin!
:P

Moderator action: removed real name, sorry for the inconvenience
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:17:44 pm by pi »
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates