Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 10, 2026, 05:28:43 pm

Author Topic: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?  (Read 5769 times)  Share 

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Starlight

  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • ******
  • Posts: 2948
  • Respect: +275
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 06:53:46 pm »
0
what are people's problems with swearing? Interested. Irl I swear quite a lot, not so much on here but probably more than most.

IMO, it's exactly that. People should keep swearing to real life, not over these forums in the rants and debates section.
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

brenden

  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • *******
  • Posts: 7185
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 06:56:40 pm »
0
what are people's problems with swearing? Interested. Irl I swear quite a lot, not so much on here but probably more than most.

IMO, it's exactly that. People should keep swearing to real life, not over these forums in the rants and debates section.
Ah okay, understandable. Ruins any eloquence the argument could have had? Interestingly, I stop swearing when I'm having a legit irl discussion. 
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

DisaFear

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1442
  • Bravery is not a function of firepower
  • Respect: +154
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 06:59:06 pm »
0
One thing I judge people by it how frequently they post, and the content of their posts.
Some people make horrendously useless posts. Even some of the higher-up people on AN do it.

Side-note: All of EvangellionZeta's posts are heavenly-blessed pieces of art ^-^
EDIT: laseredd also has solid posts
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:02:40 pm by DisaFear »



(AN chocolate) <tisaraiscool> Does it taste like b^3's brain?
BSc (Hons) @ Monash (Double major in Chemistry)

Starlight

  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • ******
  • Posts: 2948
  • Respect: +275
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 07:01:04 pm »
0
what are people's problems with swearing? Interested. Irl I swear quite a lot, not so much on here but probably more than most.

IMO, it's exactly that. People should keep swearing to real life, not over these forums in the rants and debates section.
Ah okay, understandable. Ruins any eloquence the argument could have had? Interestingly, I stop swearing when I'm having a legit irl discussion. 

pretty much
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

Yendall

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 808
  • Respect: +38
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 08:19:10 pm »
0
I don't really mind how people type/speak, however if it's to the point where I have no idea what they're saying, I completely ignore it.

If you use these characters seriously out of context, I will dislike you forever:
  • &@#$304 eg. H3y w@tz Up. h0w @r3 u?!

Or if someone hash-tags on a site that obviously isn't a microblogging site. HASHTAGS DON'T WORK OR DO ANYTHING! Don't prefix your words, it won't do anything :'( god save us all. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:48:33 pm by Yendall »
2013 - 2016: Bachelor of Computer Science @ RMIT
2017 - 2018: Master of Data Science @ RMIT
ΟΟΟΟ
VCE '12: | English | I.T: Applications | I.T: Software Development | Music Performance Solo |  Further Mathematics | Studio Arts |

Limista

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 944
  • Respect: +63
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 08:43:18 pm »
0
It's hard not to judge someone based on the language they use on AN. But at the same time, it's important not to forget that people on here are (pretty much) anonymous...we can be someone completely different to what we are in reality, or have a 'two-faced' personality.
Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne (II) 2014-2016
Follow me on my blog

Greatness

  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • *******
  • Posts: 3100
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 08:54:26 pm »
0
Quote
Also, I think it's still relatively on topic - what are people's problems with swearing? Interested. Irl I swear quite a lot, not so much on here but probably more than most.

I don't swearing. I was raised not to swear and I go by that. Words like "freaking", "crap" and "shit" are the extent of my bad language but I don't go any further than that. F-word is off limits. Although, on that note, I don't really judge people for swearing. If someone has the word "f***" in their vocab, well, whatever. It only becomes a problem for me when someone overly swears like "I f***ing ate a f***ing cupcake, c***, it was as tasty as f***" ..if it gets like that then it is just a bother to listen to.
I do swear, but not excessively and only when necessary ;) Crap, shit, and so on are probably common for me as they're the substitute for f***, c*** etc I've become use to the words f*** and c*** as I hear them a bit everywhere particularly where I live xD But I hate it when it's used excessively or used unnecessarily that really gets on my nerves! >:|

JellyDonut

  • charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 598
  • Respect: +59
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 09:32:14 pm »
0
Why do people self-censor, especially when they mean to use the word anyway? Typing 'f***' is a lot more inconvenient than 'fuck'
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

Felicity Wishes

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 731
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Mater Christi College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 09:34:24 pm »
0
Why do people self-censor, especially when they mean to use the word anyway?

I don't feel comfortable saying it but I felt that it was needed to make my point clear. If I really wanted to say it to someone I'd probably just uncensor it.
Psychology and psychophysiology (Swinburne)

JellyDonut

  • charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 598
  • Respect: +59
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 09:36:13 pm »
0
I meant the latter but yeah
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

heart

  • Guest
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 09:44:35 pm »
0
the way in which someone speaks can say a lot. Can also exacerbate the chance for acceptance in regards to accents. We shouldn't indeed judge a book by its cover as they say, but, such a characteristic is innate within humanity.

Starlight

  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • ******
  • Posts: 2948
  • Respect: +275
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 10:03:24 pm »
0
Quote
Also, I think it's still relatively on topic - what are people's problems with swearing? Interested. Irl I swear quite a lot, not so much on here but probably more than most.

I don't swearing. I was raised not to swear and I go by that. Words like "freaking", "crap" and "shit" are the extent of my bad language but I don't go any further than that. F-word is off limits. Although, on that note, I don't really judge people for swearing. If someone has the word "f***" in their vocab, well, whatever. It only becomes a problem for me when someone overly swears like "I f***ing ate a f***ing cupcake, c***, it was as tasty as f***" ..if it gets like that then it is just a bother to listen to.
I do swear, but not excessively and only when necessary ;) Crap, shit, and so on are probably common for me as they're the substitute for f***, c*** etc I've become use to the words f*** and c*** as I hear them a bit everywhere particularly where I live xD But I hate it when it's used excessively or used unnecessarily that really gets on my nerves! >:|

LOLOL like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKaaXBUTRZw (pretty sure >22 times he said the f word in one minute!)
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

Felicity Wishes

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 731
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Mater Christi College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 10:12:11 pm »
0
the way in which someone speaks can say a lot. Can also exacerbate the chance for acceptance in regards to accents. We shouldn't indeed judge a book by its cover as they say, but, such a characteristic is innate within humanity.
Speech is a whole different thing. I am very judgemental when it comes to how people speak to me. Although... making judgements based on written text is not something that I would describe as 'innate'.

@ above: Do I even want to watch that!?  :P
Psychology and psychophysiology (Swinburne)

Starlight

  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • ******
  • Posts: 2948
  • Respect: +275
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 10:48:36 pm »
0
^ Haha it was on the ninemsn home page a few days ago, you haven't seen it?
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

FlorianK

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 928
  • Respect: +64
Re: Do you judge people on how they type/their language use on here?
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 11:21:02 pm »
0
I my opinion judging people is simply human. The tone of voice and the language used can reveal alot about a person, this is less likely online, but I do judge people for being complete trolls online. But anyways you can hear if somebody has a non-english speaking background, sometimes you can hear some sort of "bogan accent" and simply I think that you can here if people aren't really educated out of sombody's voice.