Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

September 29, 2026, 07:34:50 am

Author Topic: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion  (Read 35295 times)  Share 

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Em.

  • Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • **
  • Posts: 105
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 06:04:18 pm »

Yeah I put that girl (forgotten the name) as possibly appraising losing her job as a challenge which I'm not sure they'll except - I couldn't remember harm/loss.

Another thing I'm iffy about is the conclusion to the ERA - I said the hypothesis could not be accepted as experimenter effect may have influenced the results (there was no mention of a blind-procedure), and thus the results could not be generalised, but I'm not really sure whether they intended us to accept it or not.  :-\

I'm predicting higher cut-off than the mid-year. The MC seemed much less time-consuming.


I put her (Maddie I think?) as going through Harm/Loss, but I'm pretty sure what I wrote of Emotion-Coping wasn't right. And yeah, the conclusion bit was weird. I just said that the sample size was too small and there was no p-value so it can't be generalised.

That was ridiculously easy and hence disappointing. The cut-off is going to be really high! :O

That's so true. I wish it was a bit harder! But oh well, what's done is done!
Now to wait until 17th December!

The Sample size has no relation to whether the p-value exists, you can have a p-value regardless of the size... I think. But I spoke to my teacher and you are right about the fact you cannot generalise due to no p-value.

There wasn't a p-value, but I'm pretty sure in the scenario they stated that a 'statistical analysis revealed a significant difference between the two groups'. Does that refer to a p-value or?

If the exam stated that the results were statistically significant then doesn't that mean we can generalize the results ?

This if from stats.org
A result that is statistically significant has more weight in the scientific community than one that is not. There is nonetheless a (small) possibility that the result is just due to chance, which is why scientists keep their eyes open for other studies that might discredit the first. Similarly, even if a conjectured correlation has not been demonstrated to be statistically significant, there may still be a good chance that the association really exists, which is why more tests are often called for. Statistical significance should not, however, be dismissed as lacking certainty — we can be 95 percent certain that a statistically significant result is true. This is why statistical significance is the stamp of approval by the biomedical community.

joseph95

  • Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • **
  • Posts: 157
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 06:06:46 pm »
Gambling was an absolute gift.

Yeah was so good, yet the second question was 4 marks and only had like 5 lines, did you use the extra space too?

katykins

  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ***
  • Posts: 227
  • Donde, está, la biblioteca
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 06:08:13 pm »
depression was quite basic! very general questions! I'm worried now about the A+ cut off! it was very much a remember and recite exam, not much application of knowledge involved whatsoever!
what a year it has been, thank goodness it is over, bring on a new chapter!

Psychology- 46!
Theatre studies- 37
Biology- 35
English- 34
Further maths-33
ATAR-87.15 so pleased!

any questions related to Psychology or Theatre Studies please don't hesitate to ask :)

Felicity Wishes

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 731
  • School: Mater Christi College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 06:08:22 pm »
So happy with the exam! MC were SO easy. Short answer were okay, better than last years.
ER was GOLD I was so happy.
Psychology and psychophysiology (Swinburne)

Wooppiedoo

  • Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 06:09:29 pm »
Hey guys for section c how much is the conclusion and possible generalisation worth out of 10? :/

RTandon

  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ***
  • Posts: 302
  • Forever a fob
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 06:09:44 pm »
Was 33 A? I originally had C and then changed it. And what'd people put for 40?

40 was soo weird. I put C, but yeah, I'm not sure at all.
And I put A for 33 too.

Can't really be A for 33 as if it activated post-synaptic neurons, that would increase arousal. Really... making it worse

But I thought Benzodiazepiens work by stimulating the GABA which... actually wait. Shit.

So that's one question wrong then!
Accounting | English Language | Product & Design | Psychology | Business Management | Methods

A fashion designer in the making ;)

Felicity Wishes

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 731
  • School: Mater Christi College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 06:12:21 pm »
Was 33 A? I originally had C and then changed it. And what'd people put for 40?

40 was soo weird. I put C, but yeah, I'm not sure at all.
And I put A for 33 too.

Can't really be A for 33 as if it activated post-synaptic neurons, that would increase arousal. Really... making it worse

But I thought Benzodiazepiens work by stimulating the GABA which... actually wait. Shit.

So that's one question wrong then!
I said A because Benzodiazepines work by stimulating the receptor sites on the post synaptic neuron, meaning that they RECEIVE more GABA, thus calming the body down.
Psychology and psychophysiology (Swinburne)

Charmz

  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ***
  • Posts: 488
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 06:13:13 pm »
Hey guys for section c how much is the conclusion and possible generalisation worth out of 10? :/
probably about 2, I'd say one for recognising whether or not there was a generalisation and one for explaining why.

Wooppiedoo

  • Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 06:13:41 pm »
Schizophrenia was textbook wuestions ;)))

pyro-53

  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ***
  • Posts: 208
  • School: west side
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 06:14:38 pm »
Revision definitely paid off!!!  :) :) :)
In your face mid-year  ;D
brotip #1849: don't let a bad grade define who you are or what you will become.

dzzhao

  • Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • *
  • Posts: 48
  • School: Melbourne Grammar
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 06:15:08 pm »
just because the test was statistically significant doesn't mean you can generalise... there wasnt 100+ participants and obviously disadvantages in the experimental design thus participant characteristics could be a potential confounding variable and therefore not all extraneous variables were controlled, however you can say the hypothesis is supported if it was statistical signifiant, but can someone verify from their wording that it was infact statistically significant even though they did not specify a specific p-value?

I also don't know why people are saying that exam was easy... we all thought 2012 midyear was easy and yet for an A+ you could drop 17 marks..., I have a feeling this one will be the exact same

Genericname2365

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 560
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2012, 06:16:42 pm »
Was 33 A? I originally had C and then changed it. And what'd people put for 40?

40 was soo weird. I put C, but yeah, I'm not sure at all.
And I put A for 33 too.

Can't really be A for 33 as if it activated post-synaptic neurons, that would increase arousal. Really... making it worse

But I thought Benzodiazepiens work by stimulating the GABA which... actually wait. Shit.

So that's one question wrong then!
I said A because Benzodiazepines work by stimulating the receptor sites on the post synaptic neuron, meaning that they RECEIVE more GABA, thus calming the body down.
That was the logic I used too but I looked up my notes and: "Benzodiazephines are GABA agonists: they imitate GABA and stimulate activity at the sight of a GABA receptor, thereby having an inhibitory effect on post-synaptic neurons".  :-\ Wish I hadn't changed it.
ATAR: 93.35
Bachelor of Arts at UoM

Ravit

  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ***
  • Posts: 412
  • Shah Rukh is my son.
  • School: Werribee Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2012, 06:17:13 pm »
SOOOO HAPPY THE EXTENDED RESPONSE WAS ER!!!!!!
When reading time started I quickly flicked to ER, saw it was research methods and did a tiny fist pump!
questions were basic, A+ cut off will be really high I think
2012: Psych [44]
2013: Science at UOM
2016: Hopefully MD

RTandon

  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ***
  • Posts: 302
  • Forever a fob
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2012, 06:17:57 pm »
SOOOO HAPPY THE EXTENDED RESPONSE WAS ER!!!!!!
When reading time started I quickly flicked to ER, saw it was research methods and did a tiny fist pump!
questions were basic, A+ cut off will be really high I think

SAME!! Hahah. yayyy!
Accounting | English Language | Product & Design | Psychology | Business Management | Methods

A fashion designer in the making ;)

Felicity Wishes

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 731
  • School: Mater Christi College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Psychology Post-Exam Discussion
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2012, 06:21:00 pm »
SOOOO HAPPY THE EXTENDED RESPONSE WAS ER!!!!!!
When reading time started I quickly flicked to ER, saw it was research methods and did a tiny fist pump!
questions were basic, A+ cut off will be really high I think
HAHA me too, I was like "yes! yes! yes!" under my breath!  :)
Psychology and psychophysiology (Swinburne)