Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 04:02:19 pm

Author Topic: What do you do/prepare on the 1st day of tutoring?  (Read 8173 times)  Share 

Jenny_2108

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
  • School: Melbourne Girls College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: What do you do/prepare on the 1st day of tutoring?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 11:53:56 pm »
so sometimes I should stop, let them ask me ques and don't just give work for them to do?

I find that when tutors ask questions (E.g Do you understand this) they tend to be ignorant and when the class is silent, they move on rather than test their knowledge on the topic that was just learnt to see if they understand it. This is just me personally but I would prefer if you jumped in (instinct) and asked if them if they're having trouble with the content.

I'd say after the first lesson, have like 'Starters' where you have a few questions they do at the start of each lesson to see if they have learnt from the previous lesson etc.

Good luck!

thanks Henry :)
if they are silent, it means they are in trouble? I think I will test him after explaining the new knowledge to see whether he understands it or not
2012: Bio | Chem| Spesh | Methods | ESL | Vietnamese
2013-2016: BActuarial studies/BCommerce @ ANU

Thanks to gossamer, TT, pi, laserblued, Thus for helping and supporting me during VCE

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 12:00:34 am »
+2
thanks IndefatigableLover :)
if they are silent, it means they are in trouble? I think I will test him after explaining the new knowledge to see whether he understands it or not
Not necessarily. If there is 'little - no' interaction with the student (You just ramble and he just copies notes down) then he might not be taking in information. If he just nods and answers with one-worded answers then maybe he might be in trouble. Just make sure when you are testing him that it's when he fully understands it. (This is an issue with myself which I will amend asap)

Oh and suggested by a thread (I think it was 'Note-taking is it an art?') make sure that he watches how you do it rather copy it down whilst you do it. He'll absorb more through that.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:02:57 pm by IndefatigableLover »

Jenny_2108

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 12:05:41 am »
thanks Henry :)
Not necessarily. If there is 'little - no' interaction with the student (You just ramble and he just copies notes down) then he might not be taking in information. If he just nods and answers with one-worded answers then maybe he might be in trouble. Just make sure when you are testing him that it's when he fully understands it. (This is an issue with myself which I will amend asap)

Oh and suggested by a thread (I think it was 'Note-taking is it an art?') make sure that he watches how you do it rather copy it down whilst you do it. He'll absorb more through that.

okay, I will try my best :P so nervous haha

Thanks to gossamer, TT, pi, laserblued, Thus for helping and supporting me during VCE

abcdqdxD

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 12:06:55 am »
+3
I reckon to be a good tutor you need to be confident in your own ability. Make yourself seem knowledgeable in what you are teaching without being too 'cocky' so to speak.
You also need to be responsive to the needs of the student. From the outset, you should ask the student what he expects from you to ensure that their expectations are met.
It is important to adapt your teaching style depending on the type of student he is. If he is shy, try to seem friendly and approachable - communication between teacher and student is vital.
Lastly, be aware of when the student is struggling to grasp a concept. Look for cues, such as their facial expression, as this will show if they are confused. Try giving real life/relevant examples to make concepts seem more tangible and interesting. After all, most maths students ask themselves, "how will these math concepts help me in real life? They're so useless!" So make an effort to make the subject fun and engaging. Good luck! :)

Jenny_2108

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 12:14:59 am »
I reckon to be a good tutor you need to be confident in your own ability. Make yourself seem knowledgeable in what you are teaching without being too 'cocky' so to speak.
You also need to be responsive to the needs of the student. From the outset, you should ask the student what he expects from you to ensure that their expectations are met.
It is important to adapt your teaching style depending on the type of student he is. If he is shy, try to seem friendly and approachable - communication between teacher and student is vital.
Lastly, be aware of when the student is struggling to grasp a concept. Look for cues, such as their facial expression, as this will show if they are confused. Try giving real life/relevant examples to make concepts seem more tangible and interesting. After all, most maths students ask themselves, "how will these math concepts help me in real life? They're so useless!" So make an effort to make the subject fun and engaging. Good luck! :)

yep, I will explain everything I know about the topic in details and expand them gradually so he can absorb the new knowledge better. Good point here liverpoolXD :P I will use as much as I can examples from real life to make him feel that maths is really fun  :D

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 12:19:39 am »
+4
For your first lesson:
- Get to know the student, as everyone else has said - hit it off, get the ball rolling, move past the awkwardness factor (if present) and be as friendly and personable as possible!
- Run through an overview of the subject and most importantly, set out your expectations of them - eg. homework, work ethic, etc
- Discuss your teaching strategy or approach and stress that you will tailor your teaching to their needs. Stress that you act as both a friend (don't get TOO friendly with them as it's harder to say everything you want to say to a parent) and as a mentor for the year.
- Encourage students to ask questions along the way, try not to bombard them with continual talking and create a balance between teaching and doing - BUT don't make them do too much work on-the-spot because they'll just think 'I could've done this at home for free'.
- Give them your contact details (email, phone, fb if you want, etc) and definitely set homework from the get go, as this gives them the impression that you are serious about their learning.
- When talking to parents, be approachable and honest. Don't say extra stuff to make it seem like you are worth the parents' money, and also remember to not focus on too many on the negatives - your role is to help facilitate students' learning and broaden their understanding etc, so offer parents ways to assist their children. If there is a good triangle of communication between student/parent/tutor great things can happen.

First time tutoring can be quite daunting, but once you get into the hang of it, I think you'll enjoy it!

Good luck, let us know how you go!

Completely agree with most of this - first impressions count for a lot, and you want your first lesson to go extremely smoothly, so that you establish solid groundwork between you and your student. 

I would say though also aim to teach something in the first lesson.  Make it something easy and basic though, and give them a problem or two to work with to make them feel like you are a tutor who is willing to get them involved.  Perhaps ask them to list five areas that they are weakest with and work from there, or set some problems that are intentionally tricky (but also relatively simple) and show them ways to solve them (after they mess up, of course :p) that will help to prove a point.  Also, maybe aim to make it a 40-60 split between "introduction" and "teaching" for the first day - you want to spend enough time laying down the rules, but also enough time making sure it's an actual "lesson" and not just an introduction.

After that (the first session), just have a ridiculously solid grasp on the material, and fill in the gaps where necessary.  I personally find most of my sessions are 75% improvised - you want to be responsive and to teach to the student personally, rather than to just go by a set curriculum.  After all, that's the whole thing that differentiates a private tutor from a teacher - you can personal advice and don't have to cater to a whole class.  Act as a personal mentor, rather than as somebody who has to teach them the whole course. 
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

Jenny_2108

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 12:34:41 am »
^ thanks a lot EZ. Your advice is so awesome!

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 12:39:28 am »
+1
@ werdna: so if I give them ques to do in 3-5 mins, what do I do when they are doing ques except watching them? lol
Btw, do you think I should write some notes down for them like main ideas or just explain and let them summary what I say by themselves?

I will try to be half friend/half mentor but actually I found its more comfortable if we are like friends because the student can ask ques freely and say "I have no idea" easier
Make sure you have other questions to mark while they're doing those questions! Or use that time to write notes, so you're not wasting it whilst they're actually able to listen to you.

Alternatively, plan what you're going to do next.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Azerel

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Jackpot!
  • Respect: +4
  • School: Sky High
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 12:55:27 am »
Setting homework is awesome, I like that with Tutors!  ;D
20-12/13 aims: Philosophy [45+], Physics[40+], Methods[40+], English Language [45+], Legal Studies[3.5+ Increment], Justice [4.0+ Increment]

Aim: Superhero/Villain

saba.ay

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 08:18:08 am »
+1
Thank God, I came across this, seeing as I'm tutoring for the first time today too. Amazing advice from everyone, by the way! :D