Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 06, 2024, 05:58:29 am

Author Topic: A few questions about Monash (Clayton)  (Read 5729 times)  Share 

Planck's constant

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
Re: A few questions about Monash (Clayton)
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 05:42:12 pm »

15 Min walk to Nandos from the back end of campus :P

I don't believe you are marketing Monash properly,  b^3  :)

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 05:56:42 pm »
+5

I don't believe you are marketing Monash properly,  b^3  :)
I don't believe that your post is helping the OP at all in this thread.

Back onto topic, organising your timetable like that will depend on the degree, say for eng its not really possible, for comm or something I have heard of friends fitting it into 3 days, for Business Information Systems, I'm not entirely sure.

Some lectures are recorded and put online, not all, it depends on the lecturers, so sometimes you might not have to go in as you can watch at home, other times you pretty much need to go in, it just depends.

For me, travelling 1.5 hrs one way to get there each day, for a 5 day week, it does take its toll, its doable, but it requires you to stay motivated for the whole semester, I kinda don't have time to sit down and stop during the semster. But for me I still feel its worth it, it's not as if I didn't choose Monash, it was my first preference, and I don't regret chosing it, I know that for what I want to do I have to put this amount of effort in and thats they way its got to be.

So really, if you think you can put up with the travel, and Monash is what you want, then go for it, just make sure you can keep yourself motivated enough for the whole journey of uni.

Anyways hope that helps.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:59:33 pm by b^3 »
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

Devva[R]

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • ニャァァァァァァー
  • Respect: +8
  • School: West Side Schools
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 06:56:55 pm »
+1
Omg, had I known about this Nandos back in semester one...
2012: Bachelor of Software Engineering(Maths Minor) IBL Stream @ Monash University, Clayton
2014: Internship
2015: Graduate!

robertnyan.com

sodapop

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »
I've got a couple of questions too, didn't want to make a new thread, but could anyone help out?

1) If I get into Med at Monash, would it be better, given the longer contact hours, to commute every day (3 hours there and back) or to get accomodation there?
Are there benefits/detriments to living on campus, in general?

2) What's the best form of accomodation at Monash? Halls, Mannix, The new halls, flats, share housing, renting?

3) What are the fees at Mannix?
http://mannix.monash.edu/about-us/fees.html
Fees in above link are confusing me, is the total $14900 or $14900+extra fees?

4) What's the environment like at Monash? Are we free to see lecturers or tutors for help? Is there study support?

Thanks!

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 12:10:46 pm »
THERE'S A NANDOS NEAR MONASH?
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 01:38:53 pm »

Yeah it's near the engineering area haha :)

1) If I get into Med at Monash, would it be better, given the longer contact hours, to commute every day (3 hours there and back) or to get accomodation there?

Accommodation for sure. I know people who had 3hrs there and back (myself included for part of the year before I moved out) and it's hard work. You get quite tired and you get a loss less social life.

Benefits of on-campus accommodation is huge, especially if you get one of the nice Halls (Jakomos or Briggs). There's a LOT of med kids there and the atmosphere is great. Some great study groups, social events, way less travelling, and you get to mix with people from other degrees a lot more.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:41:50 pm by pi »

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 01:42:56 pm »
I have a feeling I may have just got them a lot more business.... damnit, my secret is out :P

I've got a couple of questions too, didn't want to make a new thread, but could anyone help out?

I'm not sure about the other points, and I'm not doing med at monash, but do travel 1.5-2 hrs one way each day, and I can tell you the travel time can take its toll, if you can live closer, then do it, it will make certain things a lot easier, rather then taking a load of time out of your day and the draining train trips (well sometimes they are).

Well, with the living on campus part, from what I've heard it can get a bit expensive, a sharehouse or something close to uni might be the way to go, but well I haven't been through that so others might have a better idea.

Anyways, hope that helps in some way.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 03:19:49 pm »

Considering you're only awake 16 hours a day, 6/16 hours spent commuting (about 3/8ths of your day i think, little bit under half), is rather extreme.

Even if you're doing nothing else all day except going to uni and going home, i think it'll take a lot out of you.

Accommodation would be the better option, of course other circumstances and feelings about things like this need to be taken into account too.

2) What's the best form of accomodation at Monash? Halls, Mannix, The new halls, flats, share housing, renting?

Mannix is a catholic affiliated hall, so, if you belong to the faith it might be a feature for you.

The best halls to go for would be the newer ones (http://www.mrs.monash.edu.au/oncampus/clayton/index2.html), they're larger and you have your own kitchen and bathroom (as opposed to the older halls).

The rest are kind of similar (to the best of my knowledge). I hear farrer is a bit more wild than the rest, so, if you like parties, might be your thing.

Sharehouses are often a better deal though, if thats an option for you.

4) What's the environment like at Monash? Are we free to see lecturers or tutors for help? Is there study support?

I think its fantastic but we're probably all a bit biased in this forum. I cant speak for med specifically but they're usually happy to see you after class/talk with you over email or go visit them during their office hours.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 03:26:37 pm »
+1

Monash MBBS has the most amazing support network. Here's the options:
1) There is a cohort facebook group which has everyone from your year as well as senior members of the medical society (MUMUS) who are very active in helping everyone out. Most of the MUMUS members are also super smart too, so that's awesome :P
2) There are year I+II combined study groups once a week that anyone is most welcome to join, they run weekly
3) Most students find a group of friends to study with after uni, that's a great way to learn and help each other out
4) Nearly all lecturers and tutors will give you their email (I even have one tutor on facebook hahaha) and they are more than happy to respond to even the most detailed questions (although usually your first port of call would be to ask to q in the facebook group, pretty much every question gets answered there in lots of depth). You can also visit some of the Profs in their offices between lectures too. Usually you can't do this with tutors as they don't hang around :P
5) If you feel you're struggling with coursework, there are also specific staff that you can see regarding that too from the med dep
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:33:11 pm by pi »

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 05:12:11 pm »
I've only been inside Mannix, but the rooms are tiny and I don't think you have a shower, just a sink. Also yes it's Catholic so there's this "honour code" or something where I think if you have a visitor of the opposite sex in your room you have to advise the manager of your floor and they're not allowed to sleep over (or something like that).

They have good food though, and they also provide (free) tutors for most university subjects (don't know if the other halls offer this). A few times I'd go over with my friend who used to live in Mannix and scab off his free French conversation tutor lol
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »
+2
1) There is a cohort facebook group which has everyone from your year as well as senior members of the medical society

Must be nice, I got banned from the IT group :(

grr elitist administrators
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

Devva[R]

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • ニャァァァァァァー
  • School: West Side Schools
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 04:23:58 pm »
Didn't even know there was an IT Facebook group.
2012: Bachelor of Software Engineering(Maths Minor) IBL Stream @ Monash University, Clayton
2014: Internship
2015: Graduate!

robertnyan.com

sodapop

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 06:07:03 pm »
@pi,  b^3, kingpomba and ninwa, thanks for all your answers, they helped a lot!
I've decided most likely on accommodation at one of the halls, probably not Mannix because it's a bit expensive. (It's 1.5 hours for me each way, not 3, that would be crazy!)
@ pi, Wow, the support system sounds amazing. fingers crossed I get in.
@ninwa, Haha, and the tutors don't know? Sounds great to have free tutors, but I guess they're paid for in the package. I think though, with the support system pi mentioned, I should be able to get help if I need.
Thanks guys, really appreciate the answers.  ;D