Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 05:05:53 pm

Author Topic: Books?  (Read 7270 times)  Share 

sam.utute

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Connecturer.
  • Respect: +46
Re: Books?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 11:00:35 am »
I have never taken notes in law lectures. (Which also means my attendance in law lectures is fairly slack).

I usually create my own set of notes that cover the key areas of the course.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 12:21:51 pm »
I have never taken notes in law lectures. (Which also means my attendance in law lectures is fairly slack).

I usually create my own set of notes that cover the key areas of the course.
Just based off the readings/your own research?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

sam.utute

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Connecturer.
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 12:28:49 pm »
Just based off the readings/your own research?

And notes from friends.

I never start a unit unless I've got a full set of notes from someone who has killed the unit previously.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 12:31:47 pm »
And notes from friends.

I never start a unit unless I've got a full set of notes from someone who has killed the unit previously.
Looks like I'm gonna make some friends, then. Ty Sam.

sam.utute

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Connecturer.
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 02:53:31 pm »
Looks like I'm gonna make some friends, then. Ty Sam.

Let me know what units you're talking and I'll send you through the notes I've collated. :)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 03:15:35 pm »
Let me know what units you're talking and I'll send you through the notes I've collated. :)
I'll certainly do that when I do my timetable. Thank you very much!

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 03:26:06 pm »
+1
If you only go to one lecture, go to the end of semester one where they go through a past exam, because that's where you'll see exactly how they want you to apply the principles to the problem. One of my best marks was in a subject where (as usual) I didn't go to lectures or do any readings, but only listened to the final revision lectures. Between the 3 streams, the lecturers ended up going through 4 or 5 past exams which basically covered every single kind of problem that could possibly come up and a step by step approach to answering each one. I basically walked into the exam with those sample answers, changed the names/tweaked the circumstances a little to fit the exam question, and transcribed them. Least stressful exam ever. [PS: I strongly suggest you don't play Russian roulette with your marks like this, but if something comes up... like Further... then it's a strategy you can use.]

Another good thing about going to lectures is that often your lecturer will have a chip on their shoulder about a particular judgement (e.g. one of my lecturers last semester REALLY hated one of the previous high court justices) and if you can bring that up casually in the exam you might get bonus marks (because your lecturer marks your exam). I don't know exactly how well this works and it's not really that big of a deal if you work consistently throughout semester, but if you're like me, well you need all the tips you can get :P
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Sah123

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 01:21:12 am »
Just another question regarding books - what's the go with recommended books? Are they something worth purchasing or am I unlikely to ever reference them throughout semester? If it helps, I'm referring to the texts for criminal law and legal reasoning at Monash.

jibba

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 日本のミカタ
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 09:44:20 am »
I think for criminal law, they are useful.
I'd recommend getting Waller & Williams, Bronitt & McSherry, Clough & Mulhern and the Crimes Act.
They are all very useful, especially for policy questions, and they tend to refer to each other so it's good having them all.
I'd buy them second hand if you can find them, I bought all 4 second hand for around $200 all up :)

For ILR, probably not worth it IMO, just get the prescribed book.

2011: Japanese SL [50] ATAR: 99.40
2012-2017: Arts/Law at Monash
My Japanese Advice Thread Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students
2013: Currently tutoring VCE Japanese. JLPT N2
2014: Exchange to Hitotsubashi University, Japan (April - August) & Seoul National University (September - December). JLPT N1
2017: Tutoring VCE Japanese/Offering VCE Japanese notes email : [email protected]

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 01:31:31 pm »
Anyone has The New Lawyer for sale? hahaha
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 03:26:33 pm »
*bump*

Any recommendations for textbooks which would help me grasp the basic concepts of Law? I'm beginning in early 2015, and unfortunately I cannot get access to the current book list.

BTW, I'm assuming you watch Suits by your username. If you think law in real life is anything like Suits, you're gonna have a bad time.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich