Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 06:00:52 am

Author Topic: Make-up - Why is it so necessary?  (Read 7497 times)  Share 

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
Re: Make-up - Why is it so necessary?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 12:04:27 pm »
it's obviously a great marketing for the cosmetic industry.
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 02:09:59 pm »
First of all, Cappuccinos I think you are a 10/10, fuck what anyone else says

Nacho mentioned that it seems to be fashionable to have darker or tanned skin. I disagree with that to some extent. WHITE people, or people with lighter skin, generally want to have a tanned complexion. However us BLACK people, pursue the endless path of Fair and Lovely (curries will know what that is) to gain a more lighter skin. I think the explanation for this is simple. We always want what we dont have. Humans are materialistic and we have endless wants. We never stop having things that we desire. To this extent, I think women have always been more extreme. I think this in terms of materialistic stuff, like clothes and the like.

By extension, I believe that the amount of makeup girls wear shows how much they accept THEMSELVES. It is a measure of self-confidence and esteem and how much fucks they give about anyone else judging them.

Now before I get all self-righteous (too late?) I spent 60 bucks on MAC foundation a couple of months ago. I'm still kind of trying to figure out why, I mean I've worn it like 3 or 4 times because I swear I will use that one bottle for lifetime, like fuck I spent 60 bucks on it and I will only use it for weddings, 21st's and other equally important occasions. And I'd like to think I have clear skin. Like this shit that I bought, I made sure that you cant even tell that its on. I went for the natural look blah blah blah. And it does its job well, no one suspects that I have it on. So pretty much its pointless and I kinda wear it just for the sake of doing so and like fuck me,  I spent 60 bucks! I'm thinking the reason I bought it is coz of good marketing, like guys, if you havent heard of MAC makeup, its supposed to be good shit. So yeah, there's a kind of hype about it. Also, some of my friends have bought shit in the past and my friend convinced me to try it out. So its the good ole' social inclusion and acceptance shit there as well.

And I definitely agree with the ironic aspect of makeup- sometimes it makes girls look worse. Some girls I know wear the shit because they think they dont have good skin. But sometimes packing it on kinda highlights their 'imperfections' even more.

On the other hand, sometimes when I get bored I put some shit on my face, like lipstick, eyeshadow that shit. Why do I think I keep doing it, even though i have nfi what i'm doing? I think it changes my look a bit. Its a difference. I dont necessarily think it makes me look better. But its kinda like when I straighten my hair- its just kinda against the norm. Why do you guys change your hairstyles now and again? Because you think its time for a difference right? Or you think you'd look better? Sometimes people just want change, I guess.

Anywho, I may believe I have decent skin, but who the fuck gives a shit, I'm still a douche LOL :P We all have imperfections and we are more insecure about some of them. Some people may be insecure about their appearance,  and some, like me, insecure about my personality. So we try to change them! (failing?) So I guess its all about how much fucks you give about who you are.

I am kinda surprised this discussion hasnt been extended to cosmetic surgery. I mean its just a more extreme and permanent version of makeup isnt it? The only reason I thought of bringing it up is because when I think of cake-faces I usually think of my Mum, coz she has darker skin than mine, but she always wear white foundation so I always call her Michael Jackson LOL Coz she looks like it ok!

Kinda also aware of the contradictions in my ramblings ahaha
2010: History Revolutions 35
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 02:18:02 pm »
I like your thinking!

Hmm, it's like the aftershave/cologne I have. I've had this cologne for like 7 years now, and it's not even half-empty yet. I only use some of it on special occasions as I do like to smell nice and classy :)
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

JinXi

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +90
  • School: Camberwell High School
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 02:32:58 pm »
I take pride in getting acknowledged/noticed by others while not dressing up. This way, you know that people notice you for your actions, not your appearance. I'm a guy.

Fact: I've gelled my hair less than 10 times in my life (It's normally cut reasonably short anyway), and bought my first can of deodorant a couple of months ago (cause I started working full days and tend to sweat during lunch breaks which resulted in some not so nice odor :P) I also find shopping for clothes a huge waste of time.
Monash B.Aero Eng/Sci Discontinued in Sem2 2012 [2011-2015]

"I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job… because, he will find an easy way to do it." ~ Bill Gates
^ SNORLAX, I chooosee You!!!

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 09:22:18 am »
relevant
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Yendall

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 09:24:34 am »
relevant
(Image removed from quote.)
You have to realise, Nina, that these guys only do it because they think they might 'tap in'.
2013 - 2016: Bachelor of Computer Science @ RMIT
2017 - 2018: Master of Data Science @ RMIT
ΟΟΟΟ
VCE '12: | English | I.T: Applications | I.T: Software Development | Music Performance Solo |  Further Mathematics | Studio Arts |

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 01:36:43 pm »
I'm thinking maybe a girl who doesnt wear makeup seems low-maintenance compared to those that do, so they kinda are more appealing to guys? Just in terms of 'getting ready to go out' time
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 03:51:40 pm »
I'm thinking maybe a girl who doesnt wear makeup seems low-maintenance compared to those that do, so they kinda are more appealing to guys? Just in terms of 'getting ready to go out' time
LIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 04:00:42 pm »
You have to realise, Nina, that these guys only do it because they think they might 'tap in'.
Please, dude. I only want a real girl that I can love 5ever.
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

Yendall

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 04:30:22 pm »
Please, dude. I only want a real girl that I can love 5ever.
6ever*
2013 - 2016: Bachelor of Computer Science @ RMIT
2017 - 2018: Master of Data Science @ RMIT
ΟΟΟΟ
VCE '12: | English | I.T: Applications | I.T: Software Development | Music Performance Solo |  Further Mathematics | Studio Arts |

appianway

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 04:37:26 pm »
Can't people just wear what they want to wear?

I don't wear makeup most days because I'm too tired or don't have enough time (woot sleep deprivation), but I wear it to parties or other situations where it feels appropriate. If I'm going into Melbourne or NYC/Boston (depending on which country I'm in) I wear it; if I'm at home or around campus I won't.

Furbob

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • diagnosed with poo brain
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 05:57:04 pm »
Life is kinder to you when you're attractive unfortunately (in terms of employment, first impressions, persuasion, getting away with things etc)

I think the media and society favours attractive extroverted people so that leads to pressure on us, which I think everyone has already discussed about in this thread

I wear make-up when I go out with friends, meet new people and during special occassions. I'm generally shy around new people so make up gives me a slight confidence boost and hell, sometimes I just want to look good because I can?

On a random sidenote I find coloured contacts extremely stupid
2011 : English | Accounting | MM CAS | Further | Japanese | MUEP Japanese
2012 : BA(Japanese&Chinese)/BComm @ Monash Clayton

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 06:04:48 pm »
On a random sidenote I find coloured contacts extremely stupid

I'm going to interrupt you here, and i just want to say that if they look natural, then I am made envious, but if I find out your contacts are the reason why your eyes look like the ocean, I'll be like 'pssht' and feel less insecure about myself.

anyway, please continue
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 06:47:44 pm »
They wouldnt be Coloured contact lenses if they looked natural, the point of them is to look un-natural or whatever. Unless you just really have nice eyes.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 08:59:37 pm »
relevant
(Image removed from quote.)

Anything related to twoX is banned on here, bad ninwa