Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 10, 2024, 06:07:21 am

Author Topic: Improvements to the site - layout, design etc.  (Read 13895 times)  Share 

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Improvements to the site - layout, design etc.
« on: August 10, 2013, 07:11:44 pm »
Hi guys,

I've gotten some feedback lately that the site can be hard to navigate. It's definitely not without its problems! So if you have any comments or suggestions for making the site better - structure, navigation, design, whatever - please post them here :)
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: Improvements to the site - layout, design etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 07:18:34 pm »
+2
Made some suggestions before Extra sub-boards?

On a minor design note, maybe give "Chat" a symbol like all the other links?

RKTR

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 07:36:02 pm »
Made some suggestions before Extra sub-boards?

On a minor design note, maybe give "Chat" a symbol like all the other links?
i didnt even know there's a place to chat until you mentioned it
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience)
2018: Doctor of Medicine (Withdrawn)
2019: Bachelor of Commerce (Actuarial Studies?)

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 07:43:19 pm »
I didnt know there was a calendar until I decided to look at the other links, and I defs didnt know they showed birthdays! So I checked for mine and realised that it wasnt there so I went and added my birthday to my profile :)

I know awesome story right
2010: History Revolutions 35
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 08:21:33 pm »
+3
What about a mini-tutorial that happens after sign-up and can be accessed again in the future?
Just generally like, showing pages with red circles around, say, the English board, with text saying "This is the English board. English goes here", then they click "next"... "This is the chat button. Click here for sex chat"

Of course, it would be more helpful than my example, and perhaps there could be a "learn more" button that took you to an entry about that forum or button or whatever else that explained it in depth for the extra-confused (would be a bit of work for the Mod team/writers and David I suppose).
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 08:25:29 pm »
+10
Not too sure on terminology, but just to clarify when I say main forum index (or something along those lines), I mean this http://www.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php and when I say board index, I mean Announcements

I reckon ditch the regular web forum design for the main forum index page altogether and have something more consistent with the site design for these parts of the site http://www.atarnotes.com/?p=books http://www.atarnotes.com/

I think the main thing that makes the main index confusing for some people is that you have to scroll, and scroll until you get to say the VCE subject boards, which might end up being pretty easy to miss. So I think simplifying the design of the main index page is what should be done.

Instead of having rows and rows of boards listed in traditional web forum style, I think something minimal would suffice e.g. perhaps just boxes labelled with the name of the board, which then link to the regular board index pages.
ATAR Notes Publications
Administration
National Education
VCE State Forum
which then expand out to have more boxes that link to the subboards. Those could be organised so that one group of boards (e.g. National Education and General Discussion) are located next to each other. Here's a rubbish MS Paint picture to try and show what I'm getting at, well the gist of it anyway. 

The actual grouping of the boards wouldn't need to be so strict, you could have all the ATARNotes books and admin boards by themselves at the top, and then go into the grouped collection of labels when it gets to the VCE, HSC etc. boards.

Maybe not something that expands out or is overly flashy, but just something that compresses the main index page to be easier to navigate without being a cluttered mess, and something that makes it obvious where the VCE subject boards are, and where the buying and selling boards are etc.

We don't really need the "last post" since that's kinda broken on the main page anyway e.g. the thread listed here isn't the latest post http://www.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?action=collapse;c=21;sa=expand;af732870e016=e18fc5c05cf96ab83062250621581d5c#c21)/. Nor do we need the numbers saying "12893128" posts in this board, we can do without that knowledge on the main page.

Most of the browsing would be done through the recent posts at the bottom (that could be placed somewhere else?), using either the unread replies/posts or actually clicking on the board and browsing that way. Having the search function more prominent would also be nice.

I think the structure of indexes (indices?) for each specific board is probably fine. That probably doesn't need to change. But I'd imagine if other pages on the site are changing, then those pages too would have small alterations made to keep it consistent with the design used for the rest of the site. I think doing that would fix some of the problems people were having with those pages, e.g. changing the "new topic" button and hence making it even more obvious that it's there. The "last post" etc. stuff is more useful on boards like that Mathematics/Science/Technology so I don't think we need to get rid of that like I suggested for the main index page.

What about a mini-tutorial that happens after sign-up and can be accessed again in the future?
Just generally like, showing pages with red circles around, say, the English board, with text saying "This is the English board. English goes here", then they click "next"... "This is the chat button. Click here for sex chat"

Of course, it would be more helpful than my example, and perhaps there could be a "learn more" button that took you to an entry about that forum or button or whatever else that explained it in depth for the extra-confused (would be a bit of work for the Mod team/writers and David I suppose).
Yeah I really like the idea of a guide, you could explain LaTeX etc. there too.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:29:17 pm by laseredd »

wallah

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Ararat Community College Secondary
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 09:30:25 pm »
+1
Hey administrator, I was wondering if I could suggest you a few, minor change to the, "finding a tutor," page. At the moment, when you type in a postcode for finding a tutor, it lets you know if there is a tutor in your entered postcode or not, but I was wondering if you could make a little change in which instead of doing what it does, it gives you a list of the tutors that live closest to that post code. .i.e if you type in 3023, it says, "no tutors found in the entered area," but what I was wondering is if it could give you a list of the closest to the furthest tutors from that area ? .... :) ....

I believe that this could be very convenient for any-one searching for a tutor, and especially that who does not mind travelling to the nearest postcode to where the tutor lives for classes .... :) ....

please reply as to what you think about this, regards .... :) ....
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:33:13 pm by wallah »

clıppy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Would you like help?
  • Respect: +68
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 09:35:28 pm »
+1
Yeah I really like the idea of a guide, you could explain LaTeX etc. there too.
Seconded. It can be really hard to try and help on the math boards without getting dirty in some LaTeX
2013 : VCE
2014 : VCE
2015 : UoM

Putting this here so I don't forget about it: http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

Tutoring in Chemistry. PM if interested.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 09:43:16 pm »
+13
Can we have that tagging system that exists on Facebook? Like where if you @<insert someone's name> they get a notification calling them to the thread? A lot of other forums have it...
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:38:43 am »
+9
I'd probably be less inclined to help someone if they tagged me tbh. Also I don't really like the idea of users posting to get help from specific users when one of the beauties of this place is that all sorts of users can chip in with advice and have discussion.

On the plus side we could all tag Nina in every post for fun :D

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 09:31:23 am »
+1
Hmm- in my head, it was experienced users tagging other experienced users

Eg

"Should I do physics?"
> Brenden tags pi

Or

"Is Twelve Angry Men swaggy as?"
> someone tags Brenden.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 12:01:05 pm »
+2
Hmm- in my head, it was experienced users tagging other experienced users

I feel so lonely.  :P

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 12:47:29 pm »
I'd probably be less inclined to help someone if they tagged me tbh. Also I don't really like the idea of users posting to get help from specific users when one of the beauties of this place is that all sorts of users can chip in with advice and have discussion.

On the plus side we could all tag Nina in every post for fun :D
This isn't really how I envisioned it being used. More like calling someone to a thread if you knew they'd be interested since they'd asked the question elsewhere, or if it was in OGD and you knew they liked a particular kind of music, etc. Or simply addressing someone so they see that you've answered their question. The 'show new replies' function doesn't show particular replies, it shows everything after your last post which in the case of very busy threads can be 3-4 pages worth, and is time-consuming and confusing

And I don't think there's anything wrong with using someone's specific knowledge to solve a problem. For example @Russ knows almost all there is about Unimelb administrative/enrolment details. Someone might have a very specific experience that enables them to be a reliable source of info on something, such as exchange, scholarships, etc. It can only be a good thing. If a user wanted specific help from another user in particular they'd just use the PM system, which is inscrutably worse given that conversation is private and not accessible by the general membership.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:50:52 pm by charmanderp »
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 12:52:58 pm »
+5
I dunno, seems like an obligation of sorts. Like if I didn't answer a question I was tagged in (because I didn't have time, couldn't be bothered, didn't want to, etc. etc) then I'd be looking like a "bad" guy. Also, I'd be pretty annoyed if I got tagged in most UMAT or med posts (not like I don't get enough PMs right now haha), just as others might get annoyed if they were tagged repeatedly for <particular topic>.

I can see why you're in favour of the tag (and MSO -another forum I frequent- has it) but I don't think it's necessary.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 01:55:35 pm »
+2
I dunno, seems like an obligation of sorts. Like if I didn't answer a question I was tagged in (because I didn't have time, couldn't be bothered, didn't want to, etc. etc) then I'd be looking like a "bad" guy. Also, I'd be pretty annoyed if I got tagged in most UMAT or med posts (not like I don't get enough PMs right now haha), just as others might get annoyed if they were tagged repeatedly for <particular topic>.
I guess it relies on people not extorting the system. Every other forum I've seen that uses it does so very well. Worthy of a trial at the very least.