Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 09, 2024, 08:02:16 pm

Author Topic: swag_sxc_boi's Bio 3/4 question thread  (Read 15248 times)  Share 

swagsxcboi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: swag_sxc_boi's Bio 3/4 question thread
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2013, 05:21:08 pm »
Antigen: Any molecule that initiates an immune response

Is this correct or is it useful to add 'specific immune response'
2013: Biology [47]

2014 AIMS: English (37)    Methods (37)    Business Management (30)    Chemistry (40)

2015 AIMS:
Applied Science/Physiotherapy Practice at La Trobe

Feel free to PM me about Bio or anything :)

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2013, 06:21:49 pm »
+1
Would it be useful?

Probably!

I'm just going to say, and this isn't meant to be rude - a lot of you guys ask questions being like 'is it necessary for me to know [insert something I clearly already know]' or 'is it necessary for me to add this specific word into my definition?'.
If you want to cover all of your bases, always be more specific, cover more ground, be more particular in the way you're referring to things.
If you think you might need to know something, and you already know it, then don't ask if you need to know it because you evidently already have it down-pat!

Okay that rant over, yes, it's useful to add the word specific.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Yacoubb

« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2013, 06:48:36 pm »
Would it be useful?

Probably!

I'm just going to say, and this isn't meant to be rude - a lot of you guys ask questions being like 'is it necessary for me to know [insert something I clearly already know]' or 'is it necessary for me to add this specific word into my definition?'.
If you want to cover all of your bases, always be more specific, cover more ground, be more particular in the way you're referring to things.
If you think you might need to know something, and you already know it, then don't ask if you need to know it because you evidently already have it down-pat!

A lot of what we mention is just to clarify whether our understanding isn't flawwed, but also for checking our expression. I don't get why we can't just check to ensure whether our expression is suitable. Assessors are extremely pedantic, and from my POV, asking for our expression to be checked over isn't such a bad thing.

swagsxcboi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2013, 06:50:20 pm »
Would it be useful?

Probably!

I see what you mean, thanks simpak!

What Yaccoub said I feel is also relevant
for example, I lost marks on a SAC for saying 'along the concentration gradient' instead of 'down the concentration gradient'
so I guess it's useful to clarify definitions so I could explain using relevant key words and not lose easy marks
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:56:30 pm by swag_sxc_boi »

2014 AIMS: English (37)    Methods (37)    Business Management (30)    Chemistry (40)

2015 AIMS:

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2013, 10:33:51 pm »
A lot of what we mention is just to clarify whether our understanding isn't flawwed, but also for checking our expression. I don't get why we can't just check to ensure whether our expression is suitable. Assessors are extremely pedantic, and from my POV, asking for our expression to be checked over isn't such a bad thing.

That's fine, but as a rule, it is always better to give more DETAIL as long as it's a relevant detail.  If you're concerned a definition isn't specific enough then specify just in case.

Re: expression, I understand what you're saying, but that's not always how the questions are phrased.
In fact, sometimes when I've seen people asking 'do I need to know...' rather than 'is this correct?' or 'is this how you would answer...' I skim over what they say without looking at their expression for key words.  So then I'm really not addressing the question properly and it could be problematic!  If you phrase your question differently I have no issue checking over your expression.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

swagsxcboi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2013, 11:15:21 pm »
how do you approach experimental design questions? as in designing an experiment

2015 AIMS:

Yacoubb

« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2013, 11:22:41 pm »
how do you approach experimental design questions? as in designing an experiment

* Large sample of organisms. Make sure that they are of relatively the same age, size, height, health.
* Divide the organisms into your experimental group/s and your control group.
* Show what will be different between the experimental and control group. E.g. 50 of the 100 mice with HD will be given the ___ drug (experimental group), while the other 50 mice with HD will be given a placebo (control group).
* Indicate that you will control variables between the groups (including space, temperature, light, food, water, etc). Nominate that you'll be doing this.
* Indicate the time frame and integrate what results would support the hypothesis; make a comparison. For instance: The hypothesis would be supported if the mice administered the drug had a greater survival rate and more enhanced motor skills relative to the mice in the control group administered a placebo.
* State that the experiment should be repeated 2-5 more times to further increase credibility of experimental findings/results.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2013, 12:13:09 am »
+1
* Large sample of organisms. Make sure that they are of relatively the same age, size, height, health.
* Show what will be different between the experimental and control group. E.g. 50 of the 100 mice with HD will be given the ___ drug (experimental group), while the other 50 mice with HD will be given a placebo (control group).
* Indicate that you will control variables between the groups (including space, temperature, light, food, water, etc). Nominate that you'll be doing this.
* Indicate the time frame and integrate what results would support the hypothesis; make a comparison. For instance: The hypothesis would be supported if the mice administered the drug had a greater survival rate and more enhanced motor skills relative to the mice in the control group administered a placebo.
* State that the experiment should be repeated 2-5 more times to further increase credibility of experimental findings/results.

* Divide the organisms randomly into your experimental group/s and your control group.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

swagsxcboi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2013, 01:04:50 pm »
Thanks Yacoubb!  :)

2015 AIMS:

swagsxcboi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2013, 11:13:15 am »
define vestigial structure and fossil

2015 AIMS:

Yacoubb

« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2013, 11:43:51 am »
define vestigial structure and fossil

A vestigial structure is a functionless remnant of a structure found in a species of organism, that once functional in the ancestral species.

A fossil is a direct or indirect piece of evidence of prehistoric life.

Hope this clarified things (:

swagsxcboi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2013, 03:44:49 pm »
A vestigial structure is a functionless remnant of a structure found in a species of organism, that once functional in the ancestral species.

A fossil is a direct or indirect piece of evidence of prehistoric life.

Hope this clarified things (:
Cheers Yacoubb  :)
are the two hypotheses about hominin evolution part of the study design? Out of Africa and Multi regional
they don't appear to be but the 2013 prac vcaa paper has a MC question on it

2015 AIMS:

Yacoubb

« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2013, 05:04:18 pm »
Cheers Yacoubb  :)
are the two hypotheses about hominin evolution part of the study design? Out of Africa and Multi regional
they don't appear to be but the 2013 prac vcaa paper has a MC question on it

I believe they are on the study design but in a really subtle way. So knowing about what the hypotheses are would be sufficient.

swagsxcboi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2013, 05:56:14 pm »
I believe they are on the study design but in a really subtle way. So knowing about what the hypotheses are would be sufficient.
Thanks Yacobb  ;D

2015 AIMS: