Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 24, 2024, 04:32:18 am

Author Topic: how hard is it 2 get 40+ in FM??  (Read 5419 times)  Share 

disha2711

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
how hard is it 2 get 40+ in FM??
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:01:37 pm »
hey pplz..

i need to know how exactly or how hard do i need to work 2 get a study score of 40 in FM like how much in SACs and how much in the 2 exam? actually can some1 tell me what the SACs and the examz are out of? and some pplz are sayin tht where you stand in ur SACs as in like 98% or something i dun get tht..?

Odette

Re: how hard is it 2 get 40+ in FM??
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 03:19:12 pm »
Alrighty. I just need to remind you that its not hard work that pays off its effective work that pays off. With further maths, the best advice I could give you would be to start at least one module over the holidays, start writing up your reference book early, every time you finish a module/core topic summarise the chapter related to the topic. Then throughout the year you can add or remove anything you need/dont need. If you work consistently throughout the year you will do well in further maths (and your other subjects). Time management is the key ^_^ Good luck.

To get 40+ you will need to average A+ throughout the year... SACs make up 34% and the exams make up 66% (exam 1-33% and exam 2- 33%)

When it comes to SACs ranking is quite important, so try to be ranked 1st or 2nd in your school in further maths, but I wouldn't worry too much about ranking, just focus on doing your best, and as I mentioned earlier aim for about A+ in all SACs and both exams and you'll get 40+.

I wouldn't advise you to do too many practice exams either, about 10 should be enough, you need to make sure you understand everything and that you avoid making silly mistakes (especially in exam 1).

Hope that helps clarify things for you, if you have any questions feel free to ask :) 

Odette

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 04:27:44 pm »
Lol no problem, :P

Andy

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 06:32:50 pm »
Odette you have scared me now. It sounds like I'm going to have to be on the ball in exam 1 if i want to do well.
2008: Accounting, Economics, English, Further Maths, International Studies

joshuamorgan

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 07:13:42 pm »
Odette you have scared me now. It sounds like I'm going to have to be on the ball in exam 1 if i want to do well.

Just double-check your answers. Also make a habit of scolding yourself throughout the year when you do make stupid mistakes.

Andy

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 07:31:14 pm »
how would you recommend scolding myself joshua? use boiling water? haha . I guess focus will play a big part for me, especially being able to study without the distraction of computers, TV
2008: Accounting, Economics, English, Further Maths, International Studies

joshuamorgan

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 07:38:44 pm »
Not sure, I suppose just make note of it. Maintain a list of common mistakes you make, and then implement ways you can prevent it.

Odette

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 09:12:08 pm »
Lol I don't mean to scare anyone, I'm just telling you to be careful of exam 1, people often make the mistake of not reading the question properly or rushing their answers, and with multiple choice, you think you have the right answer when your answer is one of the options... that's what stops you from checking your answer again, another thing is the fact that people don't do any working out so they cant see where they went wrong when they check their answers. So what you can do to avoid that would be to read each question carefully (even if it means reading the question a few times), and write down how you worked each one out, that way when you come to check everything you can see where you went wrong.

Hope that helps =)

maxleng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 08:41:35 pm »
not hard at all, just do HEAPS of practice exams.

RD

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 09:24:15 pm »
when you mean heaps how much ?

Odette

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 10:17:36 pm »
NO DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH TOO MANY PRACTICE EXAMS!!
If you find that you keep getting low scores on practice exams, look for your weakness and go through the corresponding chapter...
That's just what I think (I did 25 exams for both exam 1 and exam 2, it got me no where)

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 10:26:16 pm »
I cannot emphasise enough how bad it is to do too many practice exams in ANY subject. Practice exams should not replace actually learning the content properly and thoroughly. Practice exams should be completed when ALL the content has been extensively learnt and stored in memory.

Practice exams identify weaknesses, they don't replace a logical, thorough and well constructed study regime.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 10:26:27 pm »
when you mean heaps how much ?

Just do enough so that you are consistently achieving above 90%. You will know when you know the course (of course, you may have some minor doubts), but when you do, you just need confidence on the day plus you must be well-practised (doesn't require millions of exams, but it requires some at least), and you have to be alert so that you don't go for the "trick answer" or make a silly calculation error.

If you cannot get to the stage I mentioned above, like Odette mentioned, you should target your studies in particular areas. A tutor can help you identify your weaknesses, although it is not necessary.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 10:29:21 pm »
I cannot emphasise enough how bad it is to do too many practice exams in ANY subject. Practice exams should not replace actually learning the content properly and thoroughly. Practice exams should be completed when ALL the content has been extensively learnt and stored in memory.

Practice exams identify weaknesses, they don't replace a logical, thorough and well constructed study regime.

That's not especially true for sciences and maths in the VCE. I learnt from past exams, and it was effective. The only time I suffered for it was while I was tutoring, and I realised I did not know the material based on core foundations but only from experience (this was Food Chemistry).

It would be preferable to go through the course fully, but sometimes it is boring, and I personally found it much more enjoyable to have a crack at past papers. It worked for me, but it might not work for everyone.

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 09:28:54 am »
there are things you simply cannot learn and consolidate from a textbook...
practice exams are a way to identify weaknesses, but moreso they're a way to consolidate what you already know, to get used to applying your knowledge to exam-styled questioning.

there is no point doing 25 practice exams and each time getting low scores, you dont know the material, you cannot possibly consolidate, that amount of practice is very useful when ur "perfecting"...

and then there's coblin... :P
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015