Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 12, 2024, 03:52:13 am

Author Topic: 50 in BusMan - Ask me for questions/advice!  (Read 14689 times)  Share 

Emie

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2013
50 in BusMan - Ask me for questions/advice!
« on: November 08, 2013, 03:40:38 pm »
+3
Hi everyone :) Considering the hype of activity on this board, I thought I should help you out in preparation for the exam next Thursday.

I got a perfect score of 50 and Premier's award in Busman in 2012. I have just finished my exams (I'm a 2013 grad), so if you have any questions/queries/concerns about the subject, feel free to ask!
MBBS at JCU.

ATAR - 99.35
English (45) Business (50) Psychology (50) Health (46) Further (42)
Premier's Awards in Business Management and Psychology.

Places available for Skype tutoring in 2015, email me at [email protected]
Essay marking and feedback also available, contact me for details :)

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: WCC
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: 50 in BusMan - Ask me for questions/advice!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 04:31:32 pm »
How many practice exams did you do? Also when you wrote the exam did you fill up every line on the page or most?
2014 ATAR - 88

2015 sem 1 - Bachelor of Business (Accounting/Banking & Finance) - Monash

2015 sem 2 - Present: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance), Diploma of Languages (Chinese) - Monash

Damoz.G

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 05:37:10 pm »
How long did it take you to finish the exam? Did you go right up to the 2 hours, or do it in like 1 Hour and 45 Minutes, and then re-read your work?

Werewolf

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: -1
  • School: Sacred Heart College
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 05:57:48 pm »
1. Would you recommend taking the first 2 minutes out of your time to run through and highlight 'task words' and 'instruction' words to help ensure you tick every box with your marks on those 4> mark questions.

2. Do you think perfecting your vocabulary and understanding is essential before you start doing practice exams, or should you start anyway?

3. In regards to the 10 marker, how would you go about separating all the factors if it has multiple tasks within it, and structuring an answer? I've read over recent exams such as the 2012 one and I would have absolutely on idea how to join all those tasks of the answer into the question until I see an answer and it all makes sense.

4. I need to research an organisation and I think I am going to be doing one that nobody really does, Westfield Group - what do I have to know about them? All I've been told is I need to research an organisation and know a major change, but I'm not sure what I am expected to know about them?

5. With management structures (functional, divisional, matrix) , how do you actually 'compare' two? I don't really know a whole lot about them, how they work or anything. I have a standard definition for both describing what they are, as well as advantages and disadvantages for them. For example, 'the functional management structure is where employees and resources are divided into departments based on organisational function, such as operations, human resource, finance, research and development and marketing functions.' Currently, if I was asked a question not to dissimilar to this, I would probably just define the two and think that is comparing, and throw in some advantages and disadvantages even though I know that is wrong.

6. In regards to handwriting, my handwriting is absolutely atrocious and it looks like a 5 year old has written it, due to several things (pressure for time, back pain really kills and makes me get in a weird position). Even if my handwriting looks absolutely horrible and may take you 1-2 times to read over to actually understand what I wrote, do you think that would be a negative or it doesn't really matter? Friends have told me I will lose marks as it takes away the flow of reading; I understand completely what they mean though. Even though I can easily read my own handwriting, when I look at the finished product of a SAC or an exam it looks like some amateur crap even whilst reading it, but when I write it on my computer and it actually sounds sophisticated and in-depth (Weird).

7. As a continuation from the last strange question, with the fast handwriting I finish a practice exam in about an hour and twenty minutes minus the 10 marker (I'm saving them for later) and I write WAAAAY over the lines for literally every question as I feel like there is so much more I have to add, like when it doesn't ask for a definition but I define several things anyway just to structure myself up or I feel like it I may not be able to answer as MUCH for a part of the question, I write a tonne and address the other part later to create some sort of illusion ( :D ) - is this a bad thing? It says on the back of the VCAA exams 'a script book is available from the supervisor if you need extra paper to complete your answer;' is that after you have used the extra space on the back page, or can I request it at the start knowing I am going to write a tonne and want to save time.

8. They say you can't bring in blank pieces of paper, but can you request one to scribble some things down after reading time?

CHEERS! Sorry for some weird questions ...

Emie

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 06:31:36 pm »
How many practice exams did you do? Also when you wrote the exam did you fill up every line on the page or most?

I completed around 50 practice exams, but I was in Year 11 so it was my only 3/4. I think that its more important to critique your practice exams and understand why you are making errors, rather than aiming to complete copious of exams.
I did fill up every line on the page; it gives you the reassurance that your answer is detailed enough for the given marks (providing you haven't rambled too much!)
MBBS at JCU.

ATAR - 99.35

Emie

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 06:35:30 pm »
How long did it take you to finish the exam? Did you go right up to the 2 hours, or do it in like 1 Hour and 45 Minutes, and then re-read your work?

I completed the exam probably about 10 minutes before the end. I spent the majority of the remaining time going over the 10mark question, as I progressively checked each of my answers for the other questions throughout the exam.
MBBS at JCU.

ATAR - 99.35

tcstudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 06:48:08 pm »
Is it possible to reveal which case studies you used in your last years exam?? even thought i didnt try last year lol, i know that there where like 3 questions asking you to use an organisation you have studied??

thank you.

Emie

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 07:34:17 pm »
+2
1. Would you recommend taking the first 2 minutes out of your time to run through and highlight 'task words' and 'instruction' words to help ensure you tick every box with your marks on those 4> mark questions.

2. Do you think perfecting your vocabulary and understanding is essential before you start doing practice exams, or should you start anyway?

3. In regards to the 10 marker, how would you go about separating all the factors if it has multiple tasks within it, and structuring an answer? I've read over recent exams such as the 2012 one and I would have absolutely on idea how to join all those tasks of the answer into the question until I see an answer and it all makes sense.

4. I need to research an organisation and I think I am going to be doing one that nobody really does, Westfield Group - what do I have to know about them? All I've been told is I need to research an organisation and know a major change, but I'm not sure what I am expected to know about them?

5. With management structures (functional, divisional, matrix) , how do you actually 'compare' two? I don't really know a whole lot about them, how they work or anything. I have a standard definition for both describing what they are, as well as advantages and disadvantages for them. For example, 'the functional management structure is where employees and resources are divided into departments based on organisational function, such as operations, human resource, finance, research and development and marketing functions.' Currently, if I was asked a question not to dissimilar to this, I would probably just define the two and think that is comparing, and throw in some advantages and disadvantages even though I know that is wrong.

6. In regards to handwriting, my handwriting is absolutely atrocious and it looks like a 5 year old has written it, due to several things (pressure for time, back pain really kills and makes me get in a weird position). Even if my handwriting looks absolutely horrible and may take you 1-2 times to read over to actually understand what I wrote, do you think that would be a negative or it doesn't really matter? Friends have told me I will lose marks as it takes away the flow of reading; I understand completely what they mean though. Even though I can easily read my own handwriting, when I look at the finished product of a SAC or an exam it looks like some amateur crap even whilst reading it, but when I write it on my computer and it actually sounds sophisticated and in-depth (Weird).

7. As a continuation from the last strange question, with the fast handwriting I finish a practice exam in about an hour and twenty minutes minus the 10 marker (I'm saving them for later) and I write WAAAAY over the lines for literally every question as I feel like there is so much more I have to add, like when it doesn't ask for a definition but I define several things anyway just to structure myself up or I feel like it I may not be able to answer as MUCH for a part of the question, I write a tonne and address the other part later to create some sort of illusion ( :D ) - is this a bad thing? It says on the back of the VCAA exams 'a script book is available from the supervisor if you need extra paper to complete your answer;' is that after you have used the extra space on the back page, or can I request it at the start knowing I am going to write a tonne and want to save time.

8. They say you can't bring in blank pieces of paper, but can you request one to scribble some things down after reading time?

CHEERS! Sorry for some weird questions ...

1. I think it would be good to underline the task words for each question, but not necessarily all at once. Just try and focus on one question at a time, rather than going over all the task words in a few minutes.

2. Hopefully you should understand most concepts in the course by now, but practice exams will help you to refine the technicalities. Given there is less than a week left, try to tackle as many different types of questions as you can and this will support both your understanding of the course and the way that questions should be approached.

3. The 10 marker basically tests to see how well you understand the interrelationships in the course. Plan it like an essay in English; introduction, key points, then conclusion. The best way to ensure your answer has cohesion is to continuously refer to your change management issue/organisation. Discuss the way in which each facet of the question is evident in your example and hopefully this will enable you to address all the areas.

4. You need to know the process of change in the organisation i.e. what the change was, how it was enacted and the implications. You also need to know how the change management theory that you have learnt is specifically reflected in the example e.g. driving and restraining forces, Kotter principles, low-risk and high-risk practices, leadership etc.

5. Try and look at key differences between them e.g. functional groups according to tasks whereas division groups according to sections within the organisation. If you have got time, create a table of similarities and differences, this will help you frame your answers.

6. As long as the assessor can read your handwriting, it will be fine. They can't ever deduct marks for aesthetics, only for not addressing the entire question. Don't rush and make sure that it is vaguely legible (I know it's easier said than done!)

7. It's okay to go over the lines as long as you don't 'undo' your answer. By this I mean that you shouldn't just write for the sake of it or write things that are irrelevant for the question.

8. I don't think the invigilators can provide you anything other than the additional script book, and asking for another page may just waste time. Just start writing your answers!

Hope that helps!
MBBS at JCU.

ATAR - 99.35

Emie

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 07:35:21 pm »
Is it possible to reveal which case studies you used in your last years exam?? even thought i didnt try last year lol, i know that there where like 3 questions asking you to use an organisation you have studied??

thank you.

I used Linfox - try to learn one organisation inside and out, then you can use this for any examples required.
MBBS at JCU.

ATAR - 99.35

tcstudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 09:15:39 pm »
yo man, did you get your school to buy you practice exams? i did all the vcaa exams 2002-2012 and compak and thats only 25 LOL.

also is it good to study on the day of the exam?? or should i just get my teacher to ask me short questions like 1-2marks which i can say off the top of my head?

Emie

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 09:46:11 pm »

yo man, did you get your school to buy you practice exams? i did all the vcaa exams 2002-2012 and compak and thats only 25 LOL.

also is it good to study on the day of the exam?? or should i just get my teacher to ask me short questions like 1-2marks which i can say off the top of my head?

Haha I was lucky, my teacher seemed to have an endless supply. Just do as many as you can get hold of!
I didn't actually do much the day of the exam; go over anything you're not sure of but make sure that you're fresh for the afternoon.
MBBS at JCU.

ATAR - 99.35

soNasty

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 09:56:01 pm »
what were your marks throughout the year on SAC's, what was your rank and what did you achieve on the exam? I'm also doing business in year 11 :D

tcstudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 10:03:38 pm »
Haha I was lucky, my teacher seemed to have an endless supply. Just do as many as you can get hold of!
I didn't actually do much the day of the exam; go over anything you're not sure of but make sure that you're fresh for the afternoon.

Sweet man, Being both of us sat the 2012 exam last year, how did you determine if the prompt given had to be linked to your explanation, sometime their was 4 marks and then 6 marks you know what i mean?? was common in explaining Ms glass's national parcel delivery and the improvment of quality at websters lol Q1, q2

obrienj

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: RGS
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 10:21:16 pm »
what do you recommend as a study plan for 5 days out from the exam, 3 days and day before? When should I stop doing practice exams? thanks!

Emie

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 10:31:10 am »
what were your marks throughout the year on SAC's, what was your rank and what did you achieve on the exam? I'm also doing business in year 11 :D

I was rank 1, SACs 199/200 and got 100% on the exam :)
MBBS at JCU.

ATAR - 99.35