Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 03:42:48 pm

Author Topic: Physical education questions thread 2014  (Read 43883 times)  Share 

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
  • School: Westbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Physical education questions thread 2014
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 07:18:27 pm »
+2
"Compare the use of pedometres, accelerometers and a 5-day questionnare"

I know that when a questions says compare, this means that you have to state the similarities between what the question has stated.. I can't find anything similar between these 3 measures of physical activity.

edit:

I think I read the question wrong because on the worked solutions it doesn't say anything about the similarities between the three.. I don't understand. This is for SA Q. 10 of the 2011 VCE PE exam.

This is the Q:
" Tim, Harry and Nadia are Year 12 physical education students who want to determine the physical activity
levels and sedentary behaviour patterns of 100 Year 1 students (6 years old) in their school to determine if they
are meeting the national physical activity guidelines.
The students have pedometers, accelerometers and a 5-day physical activity recall questionnaire available to use.
Tim suggests that a pedometer is the most appropriate tool to use; Nadia disagrees and thinks an accelerometer
is a better choice and Harry suggests that the questionnaire would be the best choice.
Compare the use of pedometers, accelerometers and a 5-day physical activity questionnaire. Other than cost,
describe the relevant advantages and limitations, and recommend the most suitable method for the students to
use with the Year 1 students. "

so basically you need to state the advanatages and limitations of those three items towards 7 year olds.

and then give your opinion which will be the best to use.

Check out the solutions of that question, they are quite detailed.
2011: Bio [36]
2012: Legal [42] PE [43] Chem [33] English [40] Methods [25] 
ATAR: 93.30
2013: B. Arts at Monash University
2014: Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts at Monash

Blondie21

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
  • School: Lakeview Senior College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 09:25:50 pm »
+1
My teacher has conveiniently left blanks in the power point he gave us and i'm having trouble figuring out what these are:

Natural environment
- ______________ (eg. temperature, wind, rain, snow)
- ______________ (eg. water, hills, flat)
'15 - '17: The University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Science

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2014, 11:42:13 am »
My teacher has conveiniently left blanks in the power point he gave us and i'm having trouble figuring out what these are:

Natural environment
- ______________ (eg. temperature, wind, rain, snow)
- ______________ (eg. water, hills, flat)

climate
physical environment ?
what do you think?

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm on my daily grind. My 9-5.
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2014, 12:15:59 pm »
+1
Are there any easy ways of remembering the socio ecological model? It is so boring and draining.
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 05:29:37 pm »
Are there any easy ways of remembering the socio ecological model? It is so boring and draining.

I found making pretty posters helpful or you can find a program that you either participate in or find interesting and use this to practice the levels of the socio ecological model.

Blondie21

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2014, 07:30:49 am »
+1
'Compare and contrast subjective and objective methods'

What do I have to write about exactly? I always thought compare = similarities and contrast = differences but I can't think of any!

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm on my daily grind. My 9-5.
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2014, 12:18:18 pm »
+1
'Compare and contrast subjective and objective methods'

What do I have to write about exactly? I always thought compare = similarities and contrast = differences but I can't think of any!
When I have to compare and contrast subjective and objective measures I usually talk about how time consuming they are or aren't, their effectiveness in measuring certain types of physical activity, whether or not certain age groups can be measured using those methods and the costs.

I'll give a better explanation when I get home.
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

Blondie21

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 04:30:31 pm »
+1
When I have to compare and contrast subjective and objective measures I usually talk about how time consuming they are or aren't, their effectiveness in measuring certain types of physical activity, whether or not certain age groups can be measured using those methods and the costs.

I'll give a better explanation when I get home.

Oh okay thanks Frozone :) So compare and contrast mean state the adv and disadvantages?

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 08:48:23 am »
+1
Oh okay thanks Frozone :) So compare and contrast mean state the adv and disadvantages?

Thats right with compare and contrast it is similarities and differences.

This is what I would write:

Subjective methods involve qualitative analysis whereas objective methods use quantitative analysis (numerical data)

Subjective methods are less reliable than objective measures of physical activity or inactivity are more easily administered to population groups and subgroups.

Objective methods can be expensive or time-consuming, and are best suited to individuals compared to subjective measures.

Then you could provide some examples such as subjective methods include recall, logbooks, proxy reports and diaries whereas objective methods include pedometry, accelerometry and observational tools.
Hope this helps :)

Blondie21

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 05:23:57 pm »
+1
Thanks!

when discussing the relationship b/w reactivity and practicality, can I say that they're the opposite? If not, what are the key points I should write?

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 11:13:25 am »
+1
Thanks!

when discussing the relationship b/w reactivity and practicality, can I say that they're the opposite? If not, what are the key points I should write?

I understand what your saying but I think it’s probably better to say that there is a trade off between practicality and accuracy ei the more practical a measure is the less accurate it is likely to be. :)
Also its important to know the rise scale for accuracy
eg
recall surveys—> pedometers—> accelerometers—>Activity logs—> Direct observation

Blondie21

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 09:44:51 am »
+1
Can someone please describe the differences in ventilation at sub maximal intensity and maximal intensity?

Also, what would be a good answer when describing the relationship between cardiac output, stroke volume and heart rate?

I've written: When the body begins to exercise, both stroke volume and heart rate will increase to increase the cardiac output of the heart. During exercise, a stronger ventricular contraction causes greater amounts of blood to be ejected; this causes the increase in stroke volume.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 11:09:17 am by Blondie21 »

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 11:13:20 am »
+1
Can someone please describe the differences in ventilation at sub maximal intensity and maximal intensity?

Also, what would be a good answer when describing the relationship between cardiac output, stroke volume and heart rate?

I've written: When the body begins to exercise, both stroke volume and heart rate will increase to increase the cardiac output of the heart. During exercise, a stronger ventricular contraction causes greater amounts of blood to be ejected; this causes the increase in stroke volume.

Ok so ventilation increases rapidly at the onset of exercise, at submaximal intensities the increases generally occur as result of increased TV whereas during  maximal intensity increases generally result due to increased RR. :)

and your answer is good :) You could also include that the first increases in Q are due to both SV and HH but as intensities increases further increases in Q are due to HR :)
Hope this helps :)

Blondie21

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 11:50:53 am »
+1
Thanks Smiley!

also, what would be a good answer when describing how the blood is returned to the heart (venous return).. There's so much info and idk what's most important

and also what short term and long term changes in the body is aVO2 affected by?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:07:17 pm by Blondie21 »

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 05:50:11 pm »
+1
Thanks Smiley!

also, what would be a good answer when describing how the blood is returned to the heart (venous return).. There's so much info and idk what's most important

and also what short term and long term changes in the body is aVO2 affected by?

You don't really have to know to much detail about this other than that venous return increases as an acute response to physical activity but the mechanisms that assist venous return are
veins that prevent back flow
Muscle pump-muscle contraction constricts the veins which force the blood to move towards the heart
respiratory pump-whilst breathing the thorax and abdomen constrict the veins and force blood to move to the heart.

I think I understand what your asking but I'm not sure :/

The short term changes: increase in O2 extraction which happens as a result of nearly all the bodies acute responses to exercise eg increase in HR, RR, SV etc.

Long term: Increases in mitochondrial density means that more oxygen is used, increase in alveoli surface area means more opportunities for gas exchange to occur or increase in lung volume means more air is extracted per breath.

I hope I understood what you were asking :)