Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 07, 2024, 12:12:36 am

Author Topic: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens Thread  (Read 43362 times)  Share 

faredcarsking123

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Abigaul
Re: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2014, 05:27:06 pm »
also sorry but 1 last question
is this a good plan for this prompt?
how does acc show the importance of family to an individuals happiness?
(don't want to simply talk about in each paragraph about how family is connected to ones happiness but I'm not not entirely sure since the question says "how" and not "to what extent does...." or ).
"Discuss". This is how i would structure it:

P1-importance of family to ones happiness through examples of Cratchits, Fred and Belle. Scrooge thus realises the need to have a family like 'one of them'.

P2- Christmas is also connected to happiness- "air of cheerfulness" amongst "poor revellers". also how generosity during this festive time is connected to happiness evident through Fezziwigs all inclusive approach and Fred resuming to 'drink his wealth'.

P3- depicts the inferior form of poverty- the need to help as theyr are unhappy-anguish in the afterlife if they are ignorant towrads the plight of the poor- lack of happiness shown through Marley.

p4- acc shows that money is not conencted to happiness show through the Cratchit famly and their solidarity in the face of financial poverty- denouncing prejudice against the poor.
What do you think?
Like you said, I think because it says 'how does' then you can't really put three paragraphs on different elements that bring happiness, it would have to be one on Cratchits, one on Belle, one on Fred.
However, I doubt VCAA would put such a restrictive question.

Also, does anyone know some other words to use instead of Victorian elite? :D

Yacoubb

« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2014, 05:31:14 pm »
Like you said, I think because it says 'how does' then you can't really put three paragraphs on different elements that bring happiness, it would have to be one on Cratchits, one on Belle, one on Fred.
However, I doubt VCAA would put such a restrictive question.

I 100% agree with this. It's really annoying how a lot of companies actually construct questions that are restrictive, and don't give you an opportunity to develop at least three sustained arguments. For instance, take VCAA 2011, 'entertaining, enthralling, educational'. This question gave students the opportunity to develop arguments for:
1. entertaining (BP1)
2. enthralling (BP2)
3. educational (BP3)

VCAA could have said, Although Dickens' story is entertaining, it is intended to educate.

does anyone know some other words to use instead of Victorian elite?
Merchant class, wealthy, bourgeoisie? not sure about this one <--

christianb

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: AC
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2014, 05:33:51 pm »
so it is highly unlikely they would be so restrictive?
if they mentioned to what extent.... would i be able to include all the factors i mentioned for my plan then?

Yacoubb

« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2014, 05:36:51 pm »
so it is highly unlikely they would be so restrictive?
if they mentioned to what extent.... would i be able to include all the factors i mentioned for my plan then?

Yep :) so you'd say family is (to a certain extent) an integral part of happiness. However, it would be remiss to overlook the other factors that provide happiness.
--> Being generous (happiness and a sense of self-fulfillment in creating happiness for others).
--> Celebrations of the Yuletide season (e.g. Fred, Fezziwig)

christianb

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: AC
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2014, 05:39:45 pm »
ok thank you that would also be the case if it had DISCUSS at the end of the statement?
sorry just making sure with the terminology

Yacoubb

« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2014, 05:41:09 pm »
ok thank you that would also be the case if it had DISCUSS at the end of the statement?
sorry just making sure with the terminology

Well if it were something like:

Discuss the different factors that contribute to one's happiness. <-- what an awkward question LOL. It would probably come with a quote if it did come in this way. :)

mikehepro

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +14
  • School: Beaconhills College
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2014, 08:16:04 pm »
Times for some killer prompts:
Any ideas will be appreciated, hehe.
1. Dickens dedicated his novella to "the ghost of an idea." What ideas does he summons for his readers?
2. Fred speaks of christmas as a time of "fellow passengers". In what ways does this reflect the events of ACC??
2015: UoM BSci

Edward Elric

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2014, 08:53:58 pm »
A very likely question on Wednesdays examination, 'To What extent do the ghosts in A Christmas Carol, play a role in Scrooge's redemption'. Not quite sure how to structure this essay, maybe by each ghost, so bp1 maybe past, bp 2 present etc... How would you guys do it?
So Far my ideas are:

Christmas Past-

Childhood

awakens Scrooge's 'long, long forgotten [memories], of a childhood doused in in neglect and solitude. Brings out Scrooges tender emotions, in which he was 'conscious of a thousand odors' of his childhood, recounting everything and everyone, with 'earnestness' and an 'extraordinary voice'. Enables Scrooge to witness himself as a 'neglected child' making him sympathetic to the earlier Caroler he dismissed, 'I should  like to have given him something'. Not only this but he is also desensitized and receptive to children later in the novella, like Tiny Tim and the turkey boy.

Belle Scene-

Serves as a symbolic punishment for Scrooge's choice of lifestyle, and also what he could of had if Scrooge had cultivated happiness and humanity instead of wealth.

Fezziwig- allows Scrooge to realize the  responsibility that an employee have towards their employers, Scrooge thinking of his clerk highlighting another important step towards his redemption.

Maybe a rebuttal paragraph discussing how Scrooges redemption was not solely due to the visitations of the three spirits, but also because of Scrooge willing to change and acknowledging his past mistakes and failures. Essentially the ghosts, catalyses Scrooges own internal thoughts of becoming a changed man. For he could of decided to take the lessons with a grain of salt, but genuinely felt the need to change.

Any more ideas to add guys? Would be much appreciated

Yacoubb

« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2014, 07:25:12 am »
+1
Okay :) IT'S TOMORROW! ARGH!

Times for some killer prompts:
Any ideas will be appreciated, hehe.
1. Dickens dedicated his novella to "the ghost of an idea." What ideas does he summons for his readers?
2. Fred speaks of christmas as a time of "fellow passengers". In what ways does this reflect the events of ACC??

1. Ideas he summons for his readers:
* The essence of being generous towards others, financially and otherwise [2 body paragraphs could be derived from this].
* The essence of being immersed in human relations > pursuit of wealth.
* The essence of treating employees properly during a time of social utilitarianism.

2. Fellow passengers (this reiterates the essence of establishing human relations).
Well I'd discuss how Christmas is a time where people are prosperous. This is made possible by the 'affectionate grouping' during the yuletide season.
- Scrooge is bereft of human relations, and is condemned to his bitter pursuit of wealth (he doesn't realise this until he visits Belle in her home 'full of comfort'. So, possessing no relation with 'fellow passengers' is one bereft of love.
- The essence of family and celebration (you could delve into the miners celebrating Christmas/Fred's party/Fezziwig's party).
- Fellow passengers also means generosity. If we are fellow passengers to the grave, we don't focus too much on the dichotomised society that is existent. So we bestow upon others care/generosity, etc.

Yacoubb

« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2014, 07:30:13 am »
+1
A very likely question on Wednesdays examination, 'To What extent do the ghosts in A Christmas Carol, play a role in Scrooge's redemption'. Not quite sure how to structure this essay, maybe by each ghost, so bp1 maybe past, bp 2 present etc... How would you guys do it?
So Far my ideas are:

Christmas Past-

Childhood

awakens Scrooge's 'long, long forgotten [memories], of a childhood doused in in neglect and solitude. Brings out Scrooges tender emotions, in which he was 'conscious of a thousand odors' of his childhood, recounting everything and everyone, with 'earnestness' and an 'extraordinary voice'. Enables Scrooge to witness himself as a 'neglected child' making him sympathetic to the earlier Caroler he dismissed, 'I should  like to have given him something'. Not only this but he is also desensitized and receptive to children later in the novella, like Tiny Tim and the turkey boy.

Belle Scene-

Serves as a symbolic punishment for Scrooge's choice of lifestyle, and also what he could of had if Scrooge had cultivated happiness and humanity instead of wealth.

Fezziwig- allows Scrooge to realize the  responsibility that an employee have towards their employers, Scrooge thinking of his clerk highlighting another important step towards his redemption.

Maybe a rebuttal paragraph discussing how Scrooges redemption was not solely due to the visitations of the three spirits, but also because of Scrooge willing to change and acknowledging his past mistakes and failures. Essentially the ghosts, catalyses Scrooges own internal thoughts of becoming a changed man. For he could of decided to take the lessons with a grain of salt, but genuinely felt the need to change.

Any more ideas to add guys? Would be much appreciated

I would place a rebuttal in each of my paragraph. So yes, the spirits present Scrooge with A, B and C. But it is Scrooge who reacts to these stimuli emotionally, in order to be redeemed (doesn't Dickens insinuate that this is necessary? I mean, Scrooge articulating a means to redeem himself is pivotal to the miser's own ethical and emotional transformation. :)

faredcarsking123

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2014, 09:50:17 am »
One last ACC question before the exam  :) ;) :D ;D 8) ::) :-\ :-* :'( :'(

What are the time shifts used for in the novella?

vididid

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: sfx
« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2014, 10:01:54 am »
+1
One last ACC question before the exam  :) ;) :D ;D 8) ::) :-\ :-* :'( :'(

What are the time shifts used for in the novella?

Hey,
I think they are used to maintain interest and continue to engage the readers, as well as allowing the messages to resonate and uphold their relevance as 3/5ths of the novella is centred around the present Victorian era and even when shifting time and place Dickens retains his hold on the present t to convey that the central messages are directed towards the middle-class of his current time.

not sure if that 100% right but... I tried?   

also does anyone have more 'killer' prompts just to stimulate the mind, I guess?

faredcarsking123

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2014, 11:09:57 am »
'I will live in the Past, and Present, and the Future!' Scrooge's redemption proves that destinies may be changed. Discuss.

Is this set up ok?

1 - Scrooge's initial destiny and how Marely's warning cautions readers of the need for change making them attentive to the lessons to come.

2 - How the remembrance of one's part can awaken the dormant sentiments in them and arouse their compassionate nature.

3 - The realisation that of one's miserable present which demonstrates to them the important things in life.

4 - The future prophecies that depict the 'Doom' that will occur due to the narcissistic ways of the protagonist which ultimately certifies his atonement as he declares that he will 'live in the past, the present, and the Future', demonstrating that through these elements one's destiny can be changed.

Do we need to actually give examples of his renewed character, or is it enough to mention that  he will 'live in the past, the present, and the Future'?

vididid

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: sfx
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2014, 11:25:23 am »
+1
'I will live in the Past, and Present, and the Future!' Scrooge's redemption proves that destinies may be changed. Discuss.

Is this set up ok?

1 - Scrooge's initial destiny and how Marely's warning cautions readers of the need for change making them attentive to the lessons to come.

2 - How the remembrance of one's part can awaken the dormant sentiments in them and arouse their compassionate nature.

3 - The realisation that of one's miserable present which demonstrates to them the important things in life.

4 - The future prophecies that depict the 'Doom' that will occur due to the narcissistic ways of the protagonist which ultimately certifies his atonement as he declares that he will 'live in the past, the present, and the Future', demonstrating that through these elements one's destiny can be changed.

Do we need to actually give examples of his renewed character, or is it enough to mention that  he will 'live in the past, the present, and the Future'?

personally, I would quote some relevant and contrasting changes
'the cold within him froze his features' to 'glowing with good intentions'
he eschewed family and familial connections but develops them 'to tiny Tim who did not die he was a second father' and his dinner with Fred,
'even his own heart laughed'

Maybe even say that Dickens extends this change in fate to societal reform as Ebenezer Scrooge is an embodiment of all the negative traits within the Victorian era and hence dickens suggests redemption can be achieved within his own society. 

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2014, 12:04:29 pm »
Could someone please have a quick read over my intro and BP 1 for the following topic:
What role do the spirits play in Scrooge’s transformation? Discuss

In the evocative novella A Christmas Carol, we encounter a world where social inequality lurks beneath an otherwise entertaining and enthralling novel. Set against a backdrop of rapid social change, Dickens novella depicts the inspiring transformation of protagonist Ebenezer Scrooge who on a spiritual journey, is given the opportunity to amend his past mistakes and become a beacon of joy, festivity and benevolence. By establishing a team of supernatural agents, Dickens aims to show Scrooge what he must learn about himself by learning about the truth of his past, the reality of his present and the risk inherent in his future. The dual team consisting of the ghost of Christmas Past and the ghost of Christmas Present emphasize the importance of family and generosity whilst the Ghost of Christmas Yet to come provides Scrooge an insight to what his life will become if change is not embraced. Thus, Dickens construction of the spirits, aids in Scrooge’s transformation whilst also reminding the readers to value things such as generosity and the Christmas spirit in order to truly live a content life.

In stave 1, readers are immediately exposed to Scrooge’s personal qualities as Dickens describes him as a “scraping, wrenching…covetous old sinner.” The exaggeration of his physical qualities of having a “shrivelled nose” as well as clear contrasts with the weather as “external heat and cold had no influence upon Scrooge”, immediately asserts to readers of the reason why change within Scrooge is so necessary. With the assistance of the Ghost of Christmas Past, Scrooge is taken to his childhood where he is forced to relive his experience of being a “neglected child” living a solitary and lonely future. Here we see a fissure appearing in Scrooge’s otherwise frigid character as his “lip trembled” when he realises the emotions he felt as a child. Further eluding him to feel remorse and regret for not giving anything to the “boy singing at [his] door last night.” Scrooge realises the importance of generosity and giving towards others particularly during Christmas time. Through symbolism, the continuous shape shifting of the Ghost of Christmas Past as he is “like a child yet not so like a child”, expresses to Scrooge that it is not too hard to change and that change within him is possible. Dickens’ uses this opportunity to remind readers that everyone is capable of change even those that are as “cold” and “bitter” as Scrooge. Thus, Dickens use of highly descriptive terms when describing the old “miser” and the slight transformation that occurs, iterates the importance of the Ghost of Christmas Past in Scrooge realising the importance of generosity and caring.

Feel free to mark harshly
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!