Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 02, 2024, 05:27:20 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3652792 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #12195 on: October 30, 2019, 04:08:13 pm »
Hey there doing the NHT VCAA 2017 got a few questions:
For question 4b(ii) [context provided in attachment]:
It asks for two controls for the experiment:
would pH be a control for the experiment? the answers dont state ph as a solution so if not why wouldnt ph be a solution.
You might get away with that answer, it's not great because it says in the stem that they both followed the same method - if they did this correctly then the pH should already be the same.

From question 7c:
[PCR is the context]
What is the function of the DNA primers in the mixture?:
I wrote: DNA primers anneal to specific gene of interest using complementary bases and allow Taq polymerase to bind to the DNA strand.
Would this a good answer?
You're close but you'd lose marks for not using the correct language. DNA primers don't anneal to the gene - they anneal upstream/downstream of it. Rather than saying that they allow taq polymerase to bind to it, it would be more accurate to say that they provide a starting point for taq polymerase to build a complementary strand.

And finally for question 10 c:
Identify two beetle species that would have the least number of differences in their DNA sequences. Explain your answer.
The answer says Species W and X as a "possible answer" Are there other species that can be a possible answer?
Thnx for the help

Man its been a while since I've used BB code
It seems to be the only logical answer. They may have been referring to the explanation given as a possible answer, rather than the species chosen.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

dev_xy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12196 on: October 30, 2019, 04:17:16 pm »
Hi, just a quick question, if my prerequisite states that I need 30 for biology is it talking about the RAW score of a SCALED score?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #12197 on: October 30, 2019, 04:19:01 pm »
+1
Hi, just a quick question, if my prerequisite states that I need 30 for biology is it talking about the RAW score of a SCALED score?
It'll be the raw score.

dev_xy

• Adventurer
« Reply #12198 on: October 30, 2019, 04:20:27 pm »

Livcur16

• Adventurer
« Reply #12199 on: October 30, 2019, 07:12:27 pm »
Hey guys,
For photosynthesis and cellular respiration, do we only need to know the inputs and outputs of the stages or do we need to know some of the process that goes on within the stages?
Thanks

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #12200 on: October 30, 2019, 07:13:47 pm »
Just wondering, in the secondary immune response (second exposure to antigen), do memory B cells need to be stimulated by cytokines (from Helper T cells) in order to proliferate again, or will they automatically proliferate after binding to the specific antigen?
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #12201 on: October 30, 2019, 07:25:47 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
For photosynthesis and cellular respiration, do we only need to know the inputs and outputs of the stages or do we need to know some of the process that goes on within the stages?
Thanks
Just inputs and outputs. You also need to know the "purpose" of photosynthesis and cellular respiration, but that probably just means that you need to know what the ultimate goal of them is (ie making glucose/atp) rather than any specific info. It did used to be in old study designs though so just ignore anything you've seen about it from past exams.

Just wondering, in the secondary immune response (second exposure to antigen), do memory B cells need to be stimulated by cytokines (from Helper T cells) in order to proliferate again, or will they automatically proliferate after binding to the specific antigen?
I don't think so, or at least I don't think they need contact dependent signalling again, although the cytokines circulating probably still help. But don't quote me on that haha.

sandywu

• Adventurer
« Reply #12202 on: October 30, 2019, 07:46:19 pm »
Hi I was wondering what is the best way to explain adaptive radiation. And what is the difference between comparative anatomy vs structural morphology?

pugs

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #12203 on: October 30, 2019, 07:52:13 pm »
hi y'all

just a question i wanted to clear up: what is the difference between mtDNA having a fast mutation rate and mtDNA having a lack of recombination? both of these are benefits to using mtDNA, but i keep thinking they contradict each other. would someone be able to explain the difference between the two & why they are beneficial?

thank you!!

2019 vce journal here

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #12204 on: October 30, 2019, 08:01:42 pm »
+2
Hi I was wondering what is the best way to explain adaptive radiation. And what is the difference between comparative anatomy vs structural morphology?
I haven't looked at this compared to VCAA examiners reports but:
In adaptive radiation a range of niches become available (e.g. islands, darwins finches) leading to rapid diversification as populations adapt to those niches/environments.

I'm not 100% sure but pretty confident that anatomy is a subcategory of morphology which is a more general term. I wouldn't use them as 2 seperate examples

hi y'all

just a question i wanted to clear up: what is the difference between mtDNA having a fast mutation rate and mtDNA having a lack of recombination? both of these are benefits to using mtDNA, but i keep thinking they contradict each other. would someone be able to explain the difference between the two & why they are beneficial?

thank you!!
This is a simple explanation but I hope it helps:

Fast mutation rate: there's going to be more base changes to look at (synonymous base changes are particularly useful from a molecular clock perspective but I can't remember if they teach you that in VCE or just tell you to look at region not under selection pressure)
No recombination: you know exactly where the DNA has come from: the mother, and don't need to try and guess what bits are from each parent

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #12205 on: October 30, 2019, 08:04:38 pm »
I didn't think NADH was required for anaerobic respiration (isn't it an output?) but in the NHT VCAA 2018 exam, one of the multiple choice questions is...

Question 5
NADH is a coenzyme.
Which one of the following is a correct statement about NADH?
A. NADH is a carrier of electrons and protons between reactions in a cell.
B. NADH is not produced in the glycolysis stage of aerobic respiration.
C. NADH is the immediate source of energy for cellular activity.
D. NADH is required in aerobic respiration but not in anaerobic respiration.

The correct answer is A (which I understand), but was wondering if someone could explain why D is an incorrect statement?

Thanks
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

Livcur16

• Adventurer
« Reply #12206 on: October 30, 2019, 08:07:09 pm »
Hey,
Also just wondering about a question in Insight 2017 exam question 9a)
"Scientists believe that each of the 6 modern species of finch evolved through natural selection from populations of the founder species arriving on each of the islands.
What term do scientists use to describe the emergence of these 6 species from the original founder species?"
I wrote Allopatric speciation, but the solutions say that the only answers that will be accepted is adaptive radiation or divergent evolution,
Why is this?

Also, how does a new strain of virus come into existence?

With transcription factors, is there multiple ways they can work in eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells, like binding to RNA polymerase to enable it to bind/ not bind to the promoter region, or binding to the operator region on the sequence? Do transcription factors function differently in eukaryotic cells and prokaryotic cells?
Thanks so much  :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:13:49 pm by Livcur16 »

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #12207 on: October 30, 2019, 08:18:57 pm »
+5
I didn't think NADH was required for anaerobic respiration (isn't it an output?) but in the NHT VCAA 2018 exam, one of the multiple choice questions is...

Question 5
NADH is a coenzyme.
Which one of the following is a correct statement about NADH?
A. NADH is a carrier of electrons and protons between reactions in a cell.
B. NADH is not produced in the glycolysis stage of aerobic respiration.
C. NADH is the immediate source of energy for cellular activity.
D. NADH is required in aerobic respiration but not in anaerobic respiration.

The correct answer is A (which I understand), but was wondering if someone could explain why D is an incorrect statement?

Thanks
Because NADH is also used in anaerobic respiration. In glycolysis, NAD is an input that with the breakdown of glucose gets converted into NADH. This NADH is then recycled in glycolysis when no oxygen is available to be able to still have some energy output for the body (ATP).
Hope this clears this up for you.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Comet striker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #12208 on: October 30, 2019, 10:38:41 pm »
I'm having a hard time with the experimental type questions in my practice exams. Any tips to help with this? Some of it is my lack of understanding of how to define a control in an experiment. Sometimes its to set up a baseline for an experiment, sometimes its to confirm the whether the independent variable is only affecting the dependent variable.
Any general tips on experimental design questions
thnx
Leaves from the vine
Falling so slow
Like fragile tiny shells
Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy
Come marching home
Brave soldier boy
Comes marching home

IThinkIFailed

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #12209 on: October 31, 2019, 08:18:08 am »
+2
I'm having a hard time with the experimental type questions in my practice exams. Any tips to help with this? Some of it is my lack of understanding of how to define a control in an experiment. Sometimes its to set up a baseline for an experiment, sometimes its to confirm the whether the independent variable is only affecting the dependent variable.
Any general tips on experimental design questions
thnx

This is something I’ve been struggling with as well. I think in the end, the main function of a control is to provide a baseline of results where the independent variable is not affecting the dependent variable.

Thus, through this, you should be able to discern if the independent variable is actually affecting the dependent variable you are testing.  The baseline of results that the answers you see in examiners report I’d say necessarily implies this (I might be wrong, someone please check this)

For example, if you were testing the impact of a drug on plant growth, a control, group you might use is a group of plants not exposed to the drug, but measure their growth anyway. This provides a baseline of results in which the independent variable is not affecting the dependent variable, allowing you to discern if it truly is the IV that’s affecting the DV, and not some other process.

So ultimately, to answer your question, I think baseline of results necessarily implies the whole making sure that the IV effects the DV thing. Personally, I’m going to overwrite a bit and say both parts of the defintion
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:27:07 am by IThinkIFailed »
2019:
Biology [42]   Economics [46]

2020:
Methods[41 :( ]
English [42]
Chemistry [47]
Legal studies [44]

ATAR: 99.00