Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 08:38:57 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3672605 times)  Share 

Fingerscrossed

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1710 on: May 17, 2014, 06:11:17 pm »
Independent variable would be the gibberellic acid solution and the dependent variable would be the growth factor of the seedlings.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #1711 on: May 17, 2014, 11:30:25 pm »
Another term or the biological term for "jelly-like structure"?
(describing bone marrow)
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1712 on: May 18, 2014, 01:15:31 am »
Just wondering can antibiotics kill human cells (one that are broad spectrum that target plasma membrane)?? Also about immunity sac- are wi born with every possible antibody to fight against every possible antigen that could appear?? Or what happens if our body does not have the antibody specific to an antigen (can that happen)?? Also hen cytotoxic T cells bind to antigen of virus infected cell/ cancer cell etc. how do the cytotoxic T cell detect the antigen on MHC 1 marker if the cell is already virus infected or cancer cell or transplanted tissue?? Also do do cytotoxic T cells also kill larger organisms such as worms and eukaryotic organisms or what kills it when invades the body?  Thanks

TimewaveZero

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
  • School: Billanook College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #1713 on: May 18, 2014, 01:39:26 pm »
How does a reflex reaction pathway differ from the pathway involved when a conscious decision is made?
2014: Biology | Business Management | Chemistry | English | Mathematical Methods | 87.40

2015 - 2019/20
Majoring in Chemistry and Computational Science

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #1714 on: May 18, 2014, 01:41:30 pm »
+1
How does a reflex reaction pathway differ from the pathway involved when a conscious decision is made?

Reflex reactions don't pass through the brain; instead they pass through the spinal chord and all the relevant nerves

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1715 on: May 18, 2014, 02:33:29 pm »
What is the specific function of T lymphocytes? Nelson Biology lists this:

T lymphocytes   
•   White blood cells that originate from the bone marrow, travel to the thymus and mature.
•   Contribute to the I.S, in a variety of ways.

I know NoB is a better resource, but I couldn't find any specifics on that either.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #1716 on: May 18, 2014, 02:41:20 pm »
What is the specific function of T lymphocytes? Nelson Biology lists this:

T lymphocytes   
•   White blood cells that originate from the bone marrow, travel to the thymus and mature.
•   Contribute to the I.S, in a variety of ways.

I know NoB is a better resource, but I couldn't find any specifics on that either.

Cytotoxic T-lymphocytes poke holes and kill dud cells (that have been infected or damaged).
Helped T-cells coordinate immune responses, including innate and adaptive.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1717 on: May 18, 2014, 03:02:01 pm »
Could infection via indirect contact and droplet transmission be described as contagious? Or does an infection need to be transmitted exclusively by direct contact in order to be considered contagious?
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #1718 on: May 18, 2014, 03:05:46 pm »
Just wondering can antibiotics kill human cells (one that are broad spectrum that target plasma membrane)?? Also about immunity sac- are wi born with every possible antibody to fight against every possible antigen that could appear?? Or what happens if our body does not have the antibody specific to an antigen (can that happen)?? Also hen cytotoxic T cells bind to antigen of virus infected cell/ cancer cell etc. how do the cytotoxic T cell detect the antigen on MHC 1 marker if the cell is already virus infected or cancer cell or transplanted tissue?? Also do do cytotoxic T cells also kill larger organisms such as worms and eukaryotic organisms or what kills it when invades the body?  Thanks

1.  Antibiotics would not normally kill human cells because even when they target something relatively 'ubiquitous' eg plasma membranes, they focus on targeting the parts that are specific to the bacteria.  The plasma membranes of bacteria and eukaryotes are subtly different.  Most antibiotics target bacteria-specific systems for protein synthesis or nucleic acid synthesis.  Some with more severe side effects may damage human cells, especially when administered for a long time, but they usually have a clear preference for bacterial cells.  Antimicrobials used against fungal infections are far less selectively toxic and are more likely to harm human cells - this is because the target and the host are both eukaryotic.

2.  Your body continues to produce B cells throughout its life (so you're not born with every B cell per se, in fact you're not born with a great immune system at all which is why you need antibodies to be transmitted from your mother in the womb to protect you for the first few months of life), which are the cells that produce antibodies.  Typically, multiple cells would be capable of recognising a single antigen.  With this kind of overlap and the fact that B cells are continuously produced it is unlikely that you would lack an antibody specific for an entire microbe.  You may lack antibodies specific to some antigens but the fact that microbes are made up of a multitude of antigens means you are 'covered' overall and you won't end up dying.  Even if there were a hypothetical scenario where you lacked all of the possible B cells to recognise a certain antigen you might still not die because you would have T cell responses that could contribute to coordinating an immune cell against it.

3.  I'm not sure I understand your question entirely but I'll try to answer anyway.  When the cell becomes infected or cancerous it will start processing and expressing the non-self proteins on MHC-I molecules.  The T cell can recognise these as long as the infected/cancerous cell continues to express MHC-I.

4.  The cytotoxic T cell cannot kill the worms or eukaryotic cells directly using cytotoxic molecules because these organisms wouldn't be expressing MHC-I so the T cell can't recognise them as foreign.  Cytotoxic T cells can help clear some parasitic infections (eg malaria) when the parasites are intracellular, allowing a human cell an opportunity to express the foreign antigen on MHC-I.  In this case the cytotoxic T cell would kill the infected cell harbouring the eukaryotic parasite.  For worms, T cells still play a role but it's usually helper T cells that secrete cytokines and coordinate the immune response that would help this sort of infection to be cleared (in addition to B cells).
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1719 on: May 18, 2014, 03:06:39 pm »
Cytotoxic T-lymphocytes poke holes and kill dud cells (that have been infected or damaged).
Helped T-cells coordinate immune responses, including innate and adaptive.
Thanks!

Could infection via indirect contact and droplet transmission be described as contagious? Or does an infection need to be transmitted exclusively by direct contact in order to be considered contagious?
From what I understand, to be contagious it needs to be transmitted through direct contact, if not it will be considered infectious.

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1720 on: May 18, 2014, 05:38:20 pm »
Does immune system activation occur after the incubation period? And does activation happen simultaneously with the infectious period?

My textbook is asking me to construct a flow chart summarising the events in the disease process with the following terms: recovery, infection, symptoms, incubation, immune system activated, death, immune system overwhelmed, medical treatment.

So far I have:
infection-->incubation-->symptoms

I'm assume that the rest of the flow chart is as follows:
-->immune system activated-->medical treatment--> recovery
                                            -->(possibly failed medical treatment)--> immune system overwhelmed--> death

I have, however, confused myself. I wish my textbook had answers!

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1721 on: May 18, 2014, 06:10:05 pm »
So far I have:
infection-->incubation-->symptoms

I'm assume that the rest of the flow chart is as follows:
-->immune system activated-->medical treatment--> recovery
                                            -->(possibly failed medical treatment)--> immune system overwhelmed--> death

Exactly what I had written down, and yes I wish they provided answers!

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #1722 on: May 18, 2014, 06:29:05 pm »
I would've thought activation of immune system would be prior to symptoms?

nhmn0301

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: The University of Melboure
« Reply #1723 on: May 18, 2014, 07:33:33 pm »
+2
I would've thought activation of immune system would be prior to symptoms?
As far as I'm aware, the reason why you start to have symptoms is during the time when appropriate helper T cell or B-cell has NOT been found and activated (SOME B-cell can activate itself without the help of helper T-cell). Obviously the first and second line of defence has been activated but they cannot effectively stop the spread of pathogen if there are too many infections, for e.g. macrophage has already engulfed the pathogen, take the pathogenic antigen and stick it onto its MHC II marker, then macrophage travels to the lymph nodes and also releases ineterleukin-1 to attract appropriate helper T cell -> it is this time frame that symptoms start to occur, because interleukin-1 (another type of cytokine) will trigger a fever. Hence, for the 3rd line of defence to kick in, a person may suffer symptoms initially.
Someone corrects me if I'm wrong, thanks!
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1724 on: May 19, 2014, 02:12:37 pm »
Do all pathogens that enter an organism cause disease?
No. If a pathogen that is capable of causing a particular disease enters an organism but does not cause damage to the host cells of that organism then, in that case, the micro-organism concerned is not acting as a pathogen.

This answer confuses me. Aren't pathogens defined as disease-causing organisms? Therefore, for a micro-organism to be a pathogen is must cause disease, must it not?