Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 01:02:17 am

Author Topic: Rod's Health 3/4 Question Thread  (Read 34829 times)  Share 

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
Re: Rod's Health 3/4 Question Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 08:31:42 pm »
Oh also, sorry another question;

So obesity, the most common age groups to have obesity are 25-44 and 75+. So I understand why the 25-44 age group have inclining rates of obesity. Mostly because in this day and age people have to work their arses of for money, and usually don't have time to cook food making them buy fast food every day.

But how about the >75 age group? Yes, their metabolism and activity decreases. But how about the concept of 'decrease in mortality=increase in morbidity'? How does this contribute to obesity? - Was reading somewhere that as someone ages, their life expectancy would increase and hence their mortaility would decrease. Also read as mortality increases, morbidity decreases... HOW? And how does this all relate to >75ers getting obesity?

Cheers  :P :)
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 06:08:20 pm »
+1
Can someone please explain cardiovascular disease to me? Some examples of it and how badly it is affecting our health status.

Thank you :) :)

Cardiovascular disease is all diseases of the heart and/or blood vessels. So things like hypertension, coronary heart disease, stroke and peripheral vascular disease. Cardiovascular disease is a debilitating condition that can lead to reduced functioning and, in the most serious cases, death.

All types of cardiovascular disease have the same cause, atherosclerosis. 

It is affecting our health status in ways such as increasing the incidence of CVD (obviosuly) as well as increasing burden of disease, DALYs and decreasing life expectancy and healthy adjusted life expectancy.

Oh also, sorry another question;

So obesity, the most common age groups to have obesity are 25-44 and 75+. So I understand why the 25-44 age group have inclining rates of obesity. Mostly because in this day and age people have to work their arses of for money, and usually don't have time to cook food making them buy fast food every day.

But how about the >75 age group? Yes, their metabolism and activity decreases. But how about the concept of 'decrease in mortality=increase in morbidity'? How does this contribute to obesity? - Was reading somewhere that as someone ages, their life expectancy would increase and hence their mortaility would decrease. Also read as mortality increases, morbidity decreases... HOW? And how does this all relate to >75ers getting obesity?

Cheers  :P :)

I think you are going into a lot more detail than is required on this :)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 09:42:00 pm »
^^ Thanks Smily :)

Another question here; When looking at morbidity rates, why is it important to consider both incident and prevalence rates?

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 09:52:42 pm »
Ooo one more question;

Why are girls more likely to go to doctors than boys?

Cheers

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 10:29:05 pm »
+1
^^ Thanks Smily :)

Another question here; When looking at morbidity rates, why is it important to consider both incident and prevalence rates?

Incidence gives an indication of how many new cases were reported in a given period. Without incidence data, it is impossible to identify trends in the condition. For example, consider a condition like hepatitis C (which has no cure and will be present in a person forever). The prevalence rates alone for hepatitis C would not show current trends with regard to infection. A strategy could be put in place to target hepatitis C and could prevent all new infections; however, without incidence data, the number of new infections would not be known and, therefore, would be unlikely to be targeted.

Anchy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 10:37:51 pm »
+1
Ooo one more question;

Why are girls more likely to go to doctors than boys?

Cheers

Men usually cannot be bothered, think they can deal with their illness and it will go away later. "It's more manly"

Haha :)
Bachelor of Arts/Laws @ Monash University

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 10:40:45 pm »
Men usually cannot be bothered, think they can deal with their illness and it will go away later. "It's more manly"

Haha :)
Haha that actually makes sense! I do that ;P.

Thanks, any other suggestions anyone??

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 10:47:15 pm »

Incidence gives an indication of how many new cases were reported in a given period. Without incidence data, it is impossible to identify trends in the condition. For example, consider a condition like hepatitis C (which has no cure and will be present in a person forever). The prevalence rates alone for hepatitis C would not show current trends with regard to infection. A strategy could be put in place to target hepatitis C and could prevent all new infections; however, without incidence data, the number of new infections would not be known and, therefore, would be unlikely to be targeted.
Still don't fully understand this smily ;'(.

So yeah I understand what incidence and prevalence is. So yeah without the total number of new cases of the disease, we cannot find any trends, so we can't find out if the condition has gotten worse or better. Therefore, the wrong strategies could be proposed (eg, if a condition before was good, but bad now they wouldn't propse anything or vice versa, if a condition was bad before but better now, they would waste money and propose a strategy).

Am I getting there?

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 11:30:58 am »
+1
Haha that actually makes sense! I do that ;P.

Thanks, any other suggestions anyone??

Often men go less because often they feel that there is a social expectation to be "macho" and manly and visiting the doctor can be seen to break this image.

Also due to the fact women have children they have more opportunities and reasons to visit the doctor compared to males.

Still don't fully understand this smiley ;'(.

So yeah I understand what incidence and prevalence is. So yeah without the total number of new cases of the disease, we cannot find any trends, so we can't find out if the condition has gotten worse or better. Therefore, the wrong strategies could be proposed (eg, if a condition before was good, but bad now they wouldn't propse anything or vice versa, if a condition was bad before but better now, they would waste money and propose a strategy).

Am I getting there?

Yes ! That's right ! Basically it's about having more accurate data, therefore more accurate global trends.

Hope this helps :)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 09:31:37 pm »
Hey everyone :)

So what are three reasons why someone over 65 would want to continue working?

Here were my thoughts;

1. They need the money and are still in debt/need to pay off mortgages
2. They enjoy their job and hold strong bonds between them and their colleagues
3. They are 'scared' of retiring. After someone retires bad things happen, people get bored, sick and are close to their death.

Thanks ;)

Anchy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 09:37:53 pm »
Hey everyone :)

So what are three reasons why someone over 65 would want to continue working?

Here were my thoughts;

1. They need the money and are still in debt/need to pay off mortgages
2. They enjoy their job and hold strong bonds between them and their colleagues
3. They are 'scared' of retiring. After someone retires bad things happen, people get bored, sick and are close to their death.

Thanks ;)

You've pretty much got what i would've said, except i'd probably add that working is also a good form of physical activity. :)
Bachelor of Arts/Laws @ Monash University

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 09:51:50 pm »
You've pretty much got what i would've said, except i'd probably add that working is also a good form of physical activity. :)
Thanks Anchy :)

Also, do we have to know much about poverty lines? (A numerical figure that represents how much and individual or household needs to survive in the society) - It was kind of like an add on in the textbook, not sure if it is in the study design.

Thanks

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 05:29:09 pm »
+1
Thanks Anchy :)

Also, do we have to know much about poverty lines? (A numerical figure that represents how much and individual or household needs to survive in the society) - It was kind of like an add on in the textbook, not sure if it is in the study design.

Thanks

Its not in the study design so you don't have to know about it for the exam, just check with your teacher in case they put it in a sac :)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 10:48:44 pm »
Rote learning.... -.-

Yes I'm unfortunately rote learning!! Haven't done this since primary school. Trying to rote learnt all the definitions, does anyone have any tips? Definitions for burden of disease and mental health are really long ;\

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 02:31:08 pm »
+1
Rote learning.... -.-

Yes I'm unfortunately rote learning!! Haven't done this since primary school. Trying to rote learnt all the definitions, does anyone have any tips? Definitions for burden of disease and mental health are really long ;\

I would suggest cue cards, then you can get friends or family to test you or just keep writing out the definition until you learn it.

Also understanding the key points in the definition will definitely help to :)