Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 01:08:03 am

Author Topic: WHO core functions/agenda?? + How are you studying?  (Read 7483 times)  Share 

lucas.vang

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: WHO core functions/agenda?? + How are you studying?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 07:38:43 pm »
+1
AusAID has supported work in the Isabel Province in the Solomon Islands. This program has
achieved success in reducing malaria by focusing on simple activities such as providing treated
mosquito nets, spraying households with insecticides, eliminating mosquito breeding grounds and
improving the diagnosis of malaria in local health facilities. Education programs are run in schools
and there are local drama performances in villages to educate people about malaria. A group of
women has also formed a ‘Mother’s Union’ to share the message with the community.
The Solomon Islands is currently on track to eliminate malaria within two years.

That's what it gave you.
So in this study design AusAid is replaced by DFAT and if you know the DFAT's aim and purpose then you should know it is free.
Aim: promote SHD by working to reduce poverty in developing countries. So why would they ask for money in return for these programs they set up?
Responsibility: Provision of Official Development Assistance (ODA) which goes to the aid programs around the world.
So normally aid programs set by these major international organizations and DFAT would be free.

evawu

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 08:05:10 pm »
+1
Yes. This is how the UN ensures world peace and security, which is a dot point on the study design

It's not in my textbook and my teacher did not tell us ANYTHING about it. Where can i find resources/learn about it?
thanks!!

AusAID has supported work in the Isabel Province in the Solomon Islands. This program has
achieved success in reducing malaria by focusing on simple activities such as providing treated
mosquito nets, spraying households with insecticides, eliminating mosquito breeding grounds and
improving the diagnosis of malaria in local health facilities. Education programs are run in schools
and there are local drama performances in villages to educate people about malaria. A group of
women has also formed a ‘Mother’s Union’ to share the message with the community.
The Solomon Islands is currently on track to eliminate malaria within two years.

That's what it gave you.
So in this study design AusAid is replaced by DFAT and if you know the DFAT's aim and purpose then you should know it is free.
Aim: promote SHD by working to reduce poverty in developing countries. So why would they ask for money in return for these programs they set up?
Responsibility: Provision of Official Development Assistance (ODA) which goes to the aid programs around the world.
So normally aid programs set by these major international organizations and DFAT would be free.

aah okay that makes sense. i guess i'm looking too much into it, thanks for the clarification! :)
2014: Health
2015: English Language | Biology | PE | Chem | Methods

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 03:58:28 pm »
It's not in my textbook and my teacher did not tell us ANYTHING about it. Where can i find resources/learn about it?
thanks!!

Just have a google on stuff to do with the Security Council and the Peace Building Commission.

evawu

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 04:13:44 pm »
+1
Just have a google on stuff to do with the Security Council and the Peace Building Commission.

Hi smiley :)

thanks for your suggestion, i looked through all the links on the first google  page... nothing!

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 09:24:19 am »
Hi smiley :)

thanks for your suggestion, i looked through all the links on the first google  page... nothing!
Whoops maybe I should have had a better look before I recommended that

With the dot point
• the role of the UN in providing global health and sustainable development through the following
areas of action: world peace and security
I would have a good understanding about
The UN in general and what they do
so
-UN helps countries rebuild the education, health and governance services and resources that have been impacted by the conflict, they clear landmines and work to achieve a coordinated action.

The security council-its main focus is maintenance of international peace and security. It has 15 members that work on developing peacekeeping operations and to develop international sanctions. It is also used to prevent disputes from escalating into war and conflict situations.

Peace keeping operations- They are comprised of civilian, police and military personnel. United Nations Peacekeeping helps countries torn by conflict create the conditions for lasting peace. Peacekeepers monitor and observe peace processes in post-conflict areas, and may assist ex-combatants in implementing peace agreement commitments that they have undertaken.

International sanctions--Sanctions can be used by  the Security Council an important instrument to enforce its decisions. Sanctions can be used to apply pressure on a State or entity to comply with the objectives set by the Security Council without resorting to the use of force. Sanctions thus offer the Security Council an important instrument to enforce its decisions.

Disarmament – -preventing disputes from escalating

Last years exam contained a question on this specific topic, so I'm not saying that this years exam will not have anything on it but it is far more likely that that you will be asked about another area that the UN works in such as human rights, humanitarian assistance or social and economic development

Hope this helps :)

evawu

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 05:20:20 pm »
+1
Whoops maybe I should have had a better look before I recommended that

With the dot point
• the role of the UN in providing global health and sustainable development through the following
areas of action: world peace and security
I would have a good understanding about
The UN in general and what they do
so
-UN helps countries rebuild the education, health and governance services and resources that have been impacted by the conflict, they clear landmines and work to achieve a coordinated action.

The security council-its main focus is maintenance of international peace and security. It has 15 members that work on developing peacekeeping operations and to develop international sanctions. It is also used to prevent disputes from escalating into war and conflict situations.

Peace keeping operations- They are comprised of civilian, police and military personnel. United Nations Peacekeeping helps countries torn by conflict create the conditions for lasting peace. Peacekeepers monitor and observe peace processes in post-conflict areas, and may assist ex-combatants in implementing peace agreement commitments that they have undertaken.

International sanctions--Sanctions can be used by  the Security Council an important instrument to enforce its decisions. Sanctions can be used to apply pressure on a State or entity to comply with the objectives set by the Security Council without resorting to the use of force. Sanctions thus offer the Security Council an important instrument to enforce its decisions.

Disarmament – -preventing disputes from escalating

Last years exam contained a question on this specific topic, so I'm not saying that this years exam will not have anything on it but it is far more likely that that you will be asked about another area that the UN works in such as human rights, humanitarian assistance or social and economic development

Hope this helps :)

Wow okay thanks so much smiley!! :)
much appreciated! :D

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 11:24:54 am »
Wow okay thanks so much smiley!! :)
much appreciated! :D

No problem  :)

It might be helpful for you to have a look at some of the previous missions and then think about how this can impact on health and sustainable human development.

http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/missions/past/unsmis/
http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/issues/humanrights.shtml

evawu

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 05:03:58 pm »
No problem  :)

It might be helpful for you to have a look at some of the previous missions and then think about how this can impact on health and sustainable human development.

http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/missions/past/unsmis/
http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/issues/humanrights.shtml

Thanks Smiley! that's a great idea :D

Basically for human rights, do you just argue with an example?
e.g. if the human right 'everyone has the right to education' is upheld... health knowledge... health.... income....hd... economic sustainability??
^ sorry if that's a bit confusing x)

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 12:38:52 pm »
Thanks Smiley! that's a great idea :D

No problem :)

Basically for human rights, do you just argue with an example?

I would use a specific example, so a good idea is to remember a couple of examples of examples of human rights that are easy to adapt to different questions.
I think I used
Everyone has the right to education-then you could relate it to expanding people’s choices and enhancing capabilities and participating in decisions affecting their lives. Or gain knowledge to be employed in a good paying job and therefore being able to afford the necessary items such as food, water shelter to develop to their full potential and lead productive, creative lives in accord with their needs and interests.

Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
Is pretty good to use because it is pretty much the first part of the definition of human development.

No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.
No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment

Can also be use with Creating an environment in which people can develop to their full potential and lead productive, creative lives in accord with their needs and interests or  participating in the life of their community and decisions affecting their lives.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:40:38 pm by Smiley_ »

evawu

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 08:06:33 pm »
No problem :)

I would use a specific example, so a good idea is to remember a couple of examples of examples of human rights that are easy to adapt to different questions.
I think I used
Everyone has the right to education-then you could relate it to expanding people’s choices and enhancing capabilities and participating in decisions affecting their lives. Or gain knowledge to be employed in a good paying job and therefore being able to afford the necessary items such as food, water shelter to develop to their full potential and lead productive, creative lives in accord with their needs and interests.

Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
Is pretty good to use because it is pretty much the first part of the definition of human development.

No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.
No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment

Can also be use with Creating an environment in which people can develop to their full potential and lead productive, creative lives in accord with their needs and interests or  participating in the life of their community and decisions affecting their lives.

Wow thank you so much again smiley! I really appreciate your help :)
Could the right to food also be one?

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 08:54:13 am »
Wow thank you so much again smiley! I really appreciate your help :)
Could the right to food also be one?

Definitely !! :)

evawu

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 09:52:46 am »
SMILEY! YOU ARE AMAZING! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP :D
i'm sure everyone is so grateful for a lovely, kind and caring contributor like you!
Thank you so much for helping everyone during the year and sharing your predictions

thanks again!! appreciate everything you've done :)