Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 02:40:53 pm

Author Topic: Writing an English Advanced Module A Essay  (Read 71958 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Writing an English Advanced Module A Essay
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2017, 12:00:23 pm »
Hi, when you're preparing an introduction and a conclusion, how do you do it if you don't know what the question is going to be? Thanks!

Hey Swan! Therein lies the issue - It's tough! Ultimately you have two choices:

- Prepare a super generic introduction/conclusion that you can adapt on the day
- Just write the intro on the day based on the question

Ultimately, my opinion is that it is probably going to be easier to write it on the spot, but Elyse prefers to memorise a broad Thesis and introduction. Very much your preference :)

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2017, 01:45:54 pm »
+1
Thanks so much for the feedback Elyse!!! I've written a full intro now thanks to the awesome advice  ;D ;D is this ok? I feel like my last sentence isn't very conclusive  :P

A similar perspective of the desire and struggle of individuals to achieve idealised love is revealed through both F.Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby and Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s (EBB) Sonnets from the Portuguese. The enduring relevance of this struggle across contexts is represented in both texts, however the response of a contemporary audience is largely drawn from the depiction of contextual influences. The Sonnets of EBB explore the attainment of love and its transcendence of physical and contextual constraints in a dynamic era hopeful of change, in comparison to the destructive pursuit of love centred on hedonistic, material values and corruption in The Great Gatsby. Ultimately, it is Browning’s sonnets that evoke a sympathetic response from a contemporary audience, further confirmed by her ultimate attainment of such love. EBB’s love, unshackled by worldly constraints, and Gatsby’s inability to achieve his romantic vision, reinforces the image of a disillusioned postwar society where ideal love has no value.

Cheers!
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2017, 09:01:01 pm »
Thanks so much for the feedback Elyse!!! I've written a full intro now thanks to the awesome advice  ;D ;D is this ok? I feel like my last sentence isn't very conclusive  :P

A similar perspective of the desire and struggle of individuals to achieve idealised love is revealed through both F.Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby and Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s (EBB) Sonnets from the Portuguese. The enduring relevance of this struggle across contexts is represented in both texts, however the response of a contemporary audience is largely drawn from the depiction of contextual influences. The Sonnets of EBB explore the attainment of love and its transcendence of physical and contextual constraints in a dynamic era hopeful of change, in comparison to the destructive pursuit of love centred on hedonistic, material values and corruption in The Great Gatsby. Ultimately, it is Browning’s sonnets that evoke a sympathetic response from a contemporary audience, further confirmed by her ultimate attainment of such love. EBB’s love, unshackled by worldly constraints, and Gatsby’s inability to achieve his romantic vision, reinforces the image of a disillusioned postwar society where ideal love has no value.

Cheers!

That's a perfect introduction in my opinion! I can't really fault that at all. Because your essay question actually prompts you to discuss the contemporary audience's perspective, you've done a wonderful job. But, if that weren't in the question, you wouldn't be required to talk about it, although you still could. I'm just letting you know for when you adapt this essay to future ideas. Looking at this introduction, it feels unique, fresh, and articulate. It genuinely makes me want to read the rest - you've brought up great ideas and I want to see where they'll go. So, in my opinion, that's exactly what you need from an intro! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Jessie9928

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2017, 02:24:17 pm »
Hello,

I have a MOD A writing task based around themes of 'Rebellion + Resistance' explored in George Orwell's 1984 and Fritz Lang's Metropolis. I am currently struggling to come up with concise points and examples on resistance. Do you think you could help?

Thanks

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2017, 07:24:25 pm »
Hello,

I have a MOD A writing task based around themes of 'Rebellion + Resistance' explored in George Orwell's 1984 and Fritz Lang's Metropolis. I am currently struggling to come up with concise points and examples on resistance. Do you think you could help?

Thanks

I think the main focus here would be how the two texts differ when considering resistance. Orwell suggests that resistance is ultimately futile, whereas resistance within Lang's text allows for the narrative resolution. However, the mindless workers of Metropolis also do not seem to have the ability to resist, rather, they work as one mass. This could be an interesting idea to explore as well.
If you're stuck, think of the various characters within the texts and whether they conform to power or reject it. The force/extent of this rejection qualifies whether they are resisting or completely rebelling
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2017, 07:46:36 pm »
Thanks for the awesome guides!
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later