Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 06:49:09 pm

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1051371 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Physics Question Thread
« Reply #480 on: July 07, 2016, 01:38:49 pm »
Using S=D/t does pop around in the HSC I think. It's pretty rare though because it targets high band 5 in my opinion - have to know when to apply what formula, and in what order to apply them.

Definitely agree with that for standard projectile questions, know of a question like this (using it with relativity) appearing in any Trial exams? It's definitely never popped up in the HSC  ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #481 on: July 07, 2016, 01:41:21 pm »
Definitely agree with that for standard projectile questions, know of a question like this (using it with relativity) appearing in any Trial exams? It's definitely never popped up in the HSC  ;D
Aha ok maybe it wasn't there in the long run :P (pun intended but for wrong subject but you should know what i mean lol!)

I do remember seeing them out of somewhere though. My physics teacher had to go over several of them. Can't remember which paper though.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #482 on: July 07, 2016, 01:44:53 pm »
Aha ok maybe it wasn't there in the long run :P (pun intended but for wrong subject but you should know what i mean lol!)

I do remember seeing them out of somewhere though. My physics teacher had to go over several of them. Can't remember which paper though.

Be careful mate, you are close to the long run shut down condition  ;)

Ahh okay fair enough!! There you go, great question Loki, definitely one worth understanding if you are aiming high!  ;D

Loki98

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: mfhs
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #483 on: July 07, 2016, 02:12:08 pm »
Thx for the help. It all makes sense now :)

brontem

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
  • School: Brigidine Randwick
« Reply #484 on: July 07, 2016, 05:22:19 pm »
What is photocurrent and why does it depend on intensity?? Or is it another deliberately brushed over/unimportant thing??
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:25:09 pm by brontem »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #485 on: July 07, 2016, 06:24:29 pm »
+1
What is photocurrent and why does it depend on intensity?? Or is it another deliberately brushed over/unimportant thing??

Recall from the definition of current that it is a measure of flow of electric charge. They are related by the formula q=It or equivalently I=q/t.

Clearly, when more electrons are present, the charge will be greater. If the amount of charge is greater, then the rate that charge flows will also increase.

But what is intensity? The intensity of the photocurrent IS by definition of electrons that flow out. Since a greater intensity is equivalent to saying greater charge, it also means a greater current.
(We just call it photocurrent because we are interested in the photoelectric effect. This means we are interested in photoelectrons - those that are emitted off the surface of the metal.)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #486 on: July 07, 2016, 10:34:57 pm »

I think I interpret your question differently than Rui, do you mean dependent on the intensity of incoming light? Saying "intensity of current" is a little bit incorrect, current doesn't have an intensity per say, but if you did use that term for current it would be in reference to the size of said current, measured in amperes  ;D

As to why the size of a photocurrent is dependent on the intensity of light, we turn to the photon model of light. A greater intensity of light means that more photons are striking the surface of our metal! This results in a larger amount of photo-electrons emitted from the surface, as each photon (with a high enough energy) will release a single photoelectron. Let me know if you need this explained a little more!  ;D

From here, Rui has you covered! More emitted electrons means a larger photocurrent, by definition  ;)

smiley2101

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: mghs
« Reply #487 on: July 08, 2016, 08:48:25 am »
Hi! If v=IR why does increasing voltage decrease power loss if power loss =I^2R and according to v=IR voltage is proportional to current? Thank you! :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #488 on: July 08, 2016, 08:56:18 am »
Hi! If v=IR why does increasing voltage decrease power loss if power loss =I^2R and according to v=IR voltage is proportional to current? Thank you! :)

This mistakenly assumes that resistance is constant. In fact, power is what is constant!

Because P=VI, we have V=P/I. So there is actually an inverse proportionality between voltage and current.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #489 on: July 08, 2016, 10:18:02 am »
+1
This mistakenly assumes that resistance is constant. In fact, power is what is constant!

Because P=VI, we have V=P/I. So there is actually an inverse proportionality between voltage and current.

Exactly, when we talk about increasing the voltage to reduce power loss, we are assuming that the same amount of power is being transmitted.

As an example, let's consider 1 Megawatt of power transmitted through a line resistance of 1 kilo-ohm at 100V and 1 MV respectively, and look at the power loss:

We can see that for 100V (top line), transmission is impossible. We can't transfer that much power through that resistance at that voltage, because too much power is dissipated in the line. The second line is much nicer, only 1000 Watts of power loss (this means the system is 99.999% efficient). This sort of calculation epitomises why we use high voltages for transmission  ;D

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #490 on: July 08, 2016, 10:55:13 am »
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #491 on: July 08, 2016, 12:04:58 pm »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #492 on: July 08, 2016, 12:07:20 pm »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #493 on: July 08, 2016, 12:16:06 pm »
Fucking lol

Maybe we need a "rule" on scientific-notation

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #494 on: July 08, 2016, 12:20:01 pm »
Maybe we need a "rule" on scientific-notation

If I want to emphasise the size of a number, I don't think the index does it justice. Like, 100 Billion FREAKING WATTS MATE! I like the "oomph"  ;)