Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 12, 2024, 12:31:13 pm

Author Topic: Music Question Thread  (Read 85883 times)  Share 

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
Re: Music Question Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2017, 10:52:05 am »

Can I have a look at the score? I get a better understanding of why this happens when I see the actual notes causing it

(I will be busy for a majority of the day so I might not get a proper reply in ASAP. I have to think more when it comes to music instead of HSC maths.)

Hey Rui,

Here you go:
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/RachmaninoffS/O3/rach-prelude-op3-no2/rach-prelude-op3-no2-a4.pdf
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2017, 06:18:19 pm »
Hey Rui,

Here you go:
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/RachmaninoffS/O3/rach-prelude-op3-no2/rach-prelude-op3-no2-a4.pdf
Sorry, better address this before I forget about it yet again.

So I considered the sheet music and a video of the piece being performed. The dynamics and the tempo may be the two simple reasons behind your struggle.

Section 2 is obviously faster than section 1 (I mean come on, section 1 was in Lento). Instead of hitting multiple chords, you're now playing through melody and accompaniment. You're basically from hitting a ton of notes at once to working through a whole series of them.

Your exam is in September, so you still have plenty of time. Practicing slow is still very much important at this point even though it sucks. Instead of focusing on how accurately you can hit every note at a solid speed if not performance speed, take it easy and ensure you have all the details brushed up. Then, don't be in a rush to accelerate to performance speed either; build up.

Section 3 is more like section 1, but there's two noteworthy differences. It's a lot louder, and whilst it's slow it's become jumpy. Your arms are definitely going to sweat a bit because you're going from one end of the piano to the other continuously, and when performing this you really need to produce the fff and sffff somehow. Being blunt, this is something I would say cannot be helped. I had it a bit more bizarre; last year my back ached when I was practicing a jumpy section or used pedals. Sometimes I just had to lie down after playing it once because I couldn't help it. But after a while it stopped because I got used to it, so adaptation does happen.

Personally, when I play piano, I also usually just wear a T-shirt and shorts. I sweat quite easily when I'm on the piano so I compensate for it somehow. Not saying do that in your exam, I just mean for practice.

If you really want to minimise the annoyance on your body, try cutting back on tempo and dynamics instead of aim for the performance-level playing. Remember, there's still 3 more months to go. You definitely want to start aiming to reach the full performance level, but it's still not time to make sure you're always playing at that level either.

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2017, 10:17:42 pm »
Sorry, better address this before I forget about it yet again.

So I considered the sheet music and a video of the piece being performed. The dynamics and the tempo may be the two simple reasons behind your struggle.

Section 2 is obviously faster than section 1 (I mean come on, section 1 was in Lento). Instead of hitting multiple chords, you're now playing through melody and accompaniment. You're basically from hitting a ton of notes at once to working through a whole series of them.

Your exam is in September, so you still have plenty of time. Practicing slow is still very much important at this point even though it sucks. Instead of focusing on how accurately you can hit every note at a solid speed if not performance speed, take it easy and ensure you have all the details brushed up. Then, don't be in a rush to accelerate to performance speed either; build up.

Section 3 is more like section 1, but there's two noteworthy differences. It's a lot louder, and whilst it's slow it's become jumpy. Your arms are definitely going to sweat a bit because you're going from one end of the piano to the other continuously, and when performing this you really need to produce the fff and sffff somehow. Being blunt, this is something I would say cannot be helped. I had it a bit more bizarre; last year my back ached when I was practicing a jumpy section or used pedals. Sometimes I just had to lie down after playing it once because I couldn't help it. But after a while it stopped because I got used to it, so adaptation does happen.

Personally, when I play piano, I also usually just wear a T-shirt and shorts. I sweat quite easily when I'm on the piano so I compensate for it somehow. Not saying do that in your exam, I just mean for practice.

If you really want to minimise the annoyance on your body, try cutting back on tempo and dynamics instead of aim for the performance-level playing. Remember, there's still 3 more months to go. You definitely want to start aiming to reach the full performance level, but it's still not time to make sure you're always playing at that level either.

I see, I see! thank you so much RuiAce!! I really appreciate your major helpful advice and tips!! :) Will definitely consider everything you have mentioned!! :)
Just a one more question, how can I fix the tension around my wrist when playing the louder sections especially in section B and A2? I'm sure it's not simply just resting your wrist, right?
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2017, 06:17:30 pm »
+1
I see, I see! thank you so much RuiAce!! I really appreciate your major helpful advice and tips!! :) Will definitely consider everything you have mentioned!! :)
Just a one more question, how can I fix the tension around my wrist when playing the louder sections especially in section B and A2? I'm sure it's not simply just resting your wrist, right?
When I play something loud I find a balance between pushing my wrist down, and pushing my fingers down. If you're leaning towards an uncomfortable wrist try focusing more of it into your fingers; lift them a bit higher where possible or press down on the keys more quickly.

If you move your wrist too much to create that loud sound then (except when absolutely necessary) you're probably putting too much effort into it.

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2017, 09:26:43 pm »
+2
Hey there!

How many Music 2 students have we got on this forum? Would anyone be willing to share notes on their pieces for the extended response if there are any overlaps? Most of my notes are on paper but would definitely look to typing them up and sharing if there was enough interest  :D

I really think this would be a great place to share our ideas because personally, Music 2 isn't often taught in the best way so why not help each other out? :)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2017, 08:15:05 pm »
Hey,
I'm doing Music 1 and i'm playing 4 pieces for my HSC on the clarinet.
1. How should I pick which order I would like my pieces to be in?
2. Because i'm playing 4 pieces, i'm going to be playing for around 20 minutes, with hardly any breaks. I'm a bit worried that by the last piece all my breathing and timing and stuff will be off. Do you have any tips for being able to play for a long period of time?
3. Sometimes, when I get nervous/anxious around performances I rush and forget some of the things that I have practised heaps. Do you have any tips for this?
Thanks heaps :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2017, 08:27:52 pm »
+7
Hey,
I'm doing Music 1 and i'm playing 4 pieces for my HSC on the clarinet.
1. How should I pick which order I would like my pieces to be in?
2. Because i'm playing 4 pieces, i'm going to be playing for around 20 minutes, with hardly any breaks. I'm a bit worried that by the last piece all my breathing and timing and stuff will be off. Do you have any tips for being able to play for a long period of time?
3. Sometimes, when I get nervous/anxious around performances I rush and forget some of the things that I have practised heaps. Do you have any tips for this?
Thanks heaps :)
Take my advice with a grain of salt; I dropped Music 1 in Year 11 last year.
When I was doing the preliminary course and I had to perform my four piano pieces, I tended to start with my most comfortable pieces.
That way, I can get a feel for the aura of the room and this gradually dissipated the anxiety and stress I had before I started.

That being said, I think just work around with whatever you feel works for you. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for other people, so find what order works for you.

As for you second question, after the end of each piece, I recommend taking a couple seconds to recollect yourself. The marker understands the pain, so I definitely recommend utilising the short breaks in between each piece to calm yourself before playing. Once you feel comfortable with the piece, then you should start playing. It may take longer, but it's a lot more effective than stopping because you weren't ready.

I think, in the end, you should be able to develop your sight reading skills by practising reading ahead of what you play. Practice the segments that you're the weakest at, and gradually, move to your complete piece. Once you've mastered your piece, record yourself and play it back. Listening and playing involve two different senses. Keep at it, and keep practising the technicalities. You'll only get better from there.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2017, 08:46:25 pm »
Take my advice with a grain of salt; I dropped Music 1 in Year 11 last year.
When I was doing the preliminary course and I had to perform my four piano pieces, I tended to start with my most comfortable pieces.
That way, I can get a feel for the aura of the room and this gradually dissipated the anxiety and stress I had before I started.
That being said, I think just work around with whatever you feel works for you. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for other people, so find what order works for you.

As for you second question, after the end of each piece, I recommend taking a couple seconds to recollect yourself. The marker understands the pain, so I definitely recommend utilising the short breaks in between each piece to calm yourself before playing. Once you feel comfortable with the piece, then you should start playing. It may take longer, but it's a lot more effective than stopping because you weren't ready.

I think, in the end, you should be able to develop your sight reading skills by practising reading ahead of what you play. Practice the segments that you're the weakest at, and gradually, move to your complete piece. Once you've mastered your piece, record yourself and play it back. Listening and playing involve two different senses. Keep at it, and keep practising the technicalities. You'll only get better from there.
Thanks heaps! This should be really helpful :). I've been practising my pieces heaps but still need to practise more (one is almost half memorised-Iv'e played it that much!). I never had to do 4 pieces at school last year-only one, so the trials are the first time I have to play this many.
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2017, 08:54:27 pm »
+1
I'll just add to the above that the markers will definitely give you time between performances while they finish taking notes and such. I did one performance and one Viva, they took a solid couple of minutes to be ready for the Viva after the performance! Take a long time getting your sheet music swapped over too, if you need to

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2017, 09:00:09 pm »
+3
Thanks heaps! This should be really helpful :). I've been practising my pieces heaps but still need to practise more (one is almost half memorised-Iv'e played it that much!). I never had to do 4 pieces at school last year-only one, so the trials are the first time I have to play this many.

No problem -- happy these tips are of use to you!

Something to note, though. I'm not really for 'remembering' the pieces. The pieces you play should reflect your skills and interpretation of the piece, as well. While it's a standardised concept to play exactly to the sheet, don't be afraid to add in accidentals or embellish segments that you know sound dull. I tend to play accidentals wherever it felt was necessary, and even if it was preliminary, I was never marked down for not playing /to/ the music sheet.

Heck, I don't even read the music sheet when learning songs; I just hate the loss of creativity that music sheet deliver. But if the trials ask you to play to the music sheet, don't risk it -- trials are a big component.

Something to kinda consider, you don't have to take this advice if you don't feel comfortable improvising a little bit on the day.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2017, 09:14:31 pm »
+1
I'll just add to the above that the markers will definitely give you time between performances while they finish taking notes and such. I did one performance and one Viva, they took a solid couple of minutes to be ready for the Viva after the performance! Take a long time getting your sheet music swapped over too, if you need to
Thanks Jamon!  :D :D I was stressing that they would almost have to be one after the other.

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2017, 10:35:42 pm »
+2
Hey! Adding to all the great advice written above, I'm a piano player and 3 performances. But my two pieces Bethena and a Rachmaninoff piece, really push my limits and stamina! Definitely, start off with the most comfortable and least exhausting one! I definitely allowed myself to do the Rachmaninoff last, as I still make mistakes and I wouldn't want it to make anxious about making more mistakes if I did a piece after it.
DEFINITELY, TAKE YOUURURRRRR TIME! I literally took a whole minute for my half-yearlies on my last piece to prep myself, since it was a huge song. During that time, I would stare at the black reflection of the grand piano and imagine myself falling into a dark void (just like the music. weird ik lol), deeply breathe in and out, close my eyes and sing the piece in your head.  Maybe even incorporate where to breathe for the first few phrases in your head as well, as a clarinetist. This ensures that you have started with a good tempo and well-controlled breathing throughout. A STRONG START GIVES YOU A STRONG PERFORMANCE!!
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2017, 10:39:27 pm »

Hey! Adding to all the great advice written above, I'm a piano player and 3 performances.
Say, how have you been coping with it all? Are things progressively starting to come together?

(Pardon the randomness, just the first thing that came to mind whilst I was at gym)

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2017, 10:44:40 pm »
Say, how have you been coping with it all? Are things progressively starting to come together?

(Pardon the randomness, just the first thing that came to mind whilst I was at gym)

Hey Rui ! hahah, gym....

But yeah, they are which I'm happy about... But I still need more practice on those leaps in Rachmaninoff :/ And just a bit more practice with my Viva! :)
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
Music Question Thread
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2017, 10:47:18 pm »
Hey Rui ! hahah, gym....

But yeah, they are which I'm happy about... But I still need more practice on those leaps in Rachmaninoff :/ And just a bit more practice with my Viva! :)
It's okay, you're doing the HSC. Think about that stuff after HSC like I did.

Jumpy things are hard af. Always start slow. (I gotta do consecutive jumps with each strike at 132 BPM (performance speed 160 BPM) and I hate it So easy to hit the wrong notes