Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 10:46:22 am

Author Topic: Free AOS Creative Writing Marking!  (Read 290082 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
Re: Free AOS Creative Writing Marking!
« Reply #285 on: October 08, 2016, 03:34:37 pm »
What does the process of discovery mean? :S

the process of discovery can mean whatever you want it to mean! Although, I think that the easiest way of approaching it is considering the lead up to the discovery. What caused it? Who caused it? What environment? Who prompted it? Was it planned? Was it spontaneous? etc. A process is a journey, a series of stages. That's exactly what the process of discovery is :) You can take it further and say that the aftermath of a discovery is also in the process, by discussing how a discovery transforms or changes a person, a place, a perspective, a society, etc :)

"Process" of discovery is probably the broadest way of looking at discovery :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

nibblez16

• Forum Regular
  • School: Liverpool Girls
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #286 on: October 08, 2016, 04:00:31 pm »
Hello. I have posted my creative writing a while ago. When will I get a response? Thank You :)

:3

• Forum Regular
  • (─‿‿─)(─‿‿─)(─‿‿─)
« Reply #287 on: October 08, 2016, 04:06:11 pm »
Hello. I have posted my creative writing a while ago. When will I get a response? Thank You :)

By today or early morning Monday according to Jamon.

In the meantime, keep studying. ;)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #288 on: October 08, 2016, 04:17:26 pm »

Hey nibblez! As I spoke to you about over PM, your original creative was deleted. Your reposted one needs 30 posts to qualify for marking in this period, the requirement has increased to match with demand. You're only 6 posts off, if you hang around the site for a bit tonight I bet you'll get there quick! :)

onepunchboy

• Forum Regular
  • School: Concord High
« Reply #289 on: October 08, 2016, 04:28:38 pm »
Could you please mark my creative writing piece and give me feedback on it?  Would this story be suitable to tackle a wide variety of stimuli? I was told by a friend that my structure is pretty rigid so it will be hard to adapt this story to a variety of different discovery stimuli. If it is rigid, is there anything that I could fix to make it more open to adaptation? Thankyou very much!

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #290 on: October 08, 2016, 04:59:23 pm »
Hey blissful! Thanks for posting your creative, but unfortunately you need 15 posts on ATAR Notes for every essay/creative you'd like marked! This is to ensure that the markers have time to give proper feedback to active members of the forums; one line feedback doesn't help anyone ;) hang around the forums for a bit, ask questions and maybe answer them, and you'll build up the post count really quick! ;D

On the mark discrepancy though, that's pretty common for Creatives. It is very interpretive, and marks can range by 2-3. You should consider your actual mark as somewhere in the middle, most probably :) remember, your Creative pieces are double marked, so no stress!! I personally think working with this will work best this close to the exam, if it is already high B (at minimum), definitely no worries getting to an A :)

Let us know when you reach post count!! ;D

Hey Jamon,
Firstly thank you for the feedback, the subjective nature of the marking has always frightened me to be honest but i'm glad that it is double marked (something I did not know). Does that also go for the Essays as well or is it just creative that they do that?
Also I've passed the 15 post mark like you said however I saw your earlier post about reaching 30. Does that mean I now have to reach 30 to get my creative checked?
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

massive

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #291 on: October 08, 2016, 05:05:46 pm »
the process of discovery can mean whatever you want it to mean! Although, I think that the easiest way of approaching it is considering the lead up to the discovery. What caused it? Who caused it? What environment? Who prompted it? Was it planned? Was it spontaneous? etc. A process is a journey, a series of stages. That's exactly what the process of discovery is :) You can take it further and say that the aftermath of a discovery is also in the process, by discussing how a discovery transforms or changes a person, a place, a perspective, a society, etc :)

"Process" of discovery is probably the broadest way of looking at discovery :)
THANKYOU!

nibblez16

• Forum Regular
  • School: Liverpool Girls
« Reply #292 on: October 08, 2016, 05:31:27 pm »
Hey nibblez! As I spoke to you about over PM, your original creative was deleted. Your reposted one needs 30 posts to qualify for marking in this period, the requirement has increased to match with demand. You're only 6 posts off, if you hang around the site for a bit tonight I bet you'll get there quick! :)

Alrighty, no worries! Also if I get 30 posts is that for only one essay being checked or I can give in a few? :)

asd987

• Forum Regular
« Reply #293 on: October 08, 2016, 05:37:26 pm »
What if someone copies your work or a teacher finds it and thinks you copied your essay/creative from online

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #294 on: October 08, 2016, 05:41:33 pm »
hey guys, i reached 60.. this would mean so much if its looked at !  :) :) :) :-\

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #295 on: October 08, 2016, 06:13:30 pm »
Alright well I feel like I really haven't got much to lose (I was scared to post before cause my school would put it through turn it in and I didn't want it to come up and go through the hassle of explaining etc etc) and I value Jamon's advice so here goes nothing! If you guys have time and can have a read of this, that would be great! :) I understand that it's like 1200 words but tbh my narrative stopped after "To hell with the shareholders, I'm doing this for me" but I tried to extend it a bit more to encompass the impact part of discoveries. I still think I'm not covering enough rubric points though so any feedback would be highly appreciated!

Neutron

Hey :) Taking a look at this one now!

Spoiler
The city’s core hammered to the metronome of pattering rain as the lone skyscraper pulsated within the night sky. Tentatively massaging the nape of his neck, Malcolm’s gaze flickered between the contracts before him, awaiting his endorsement. His fingers echoed a rhythmic tapping on the desk, as his fountain pen hovered above the agreements, lingering over one slightly longer than the other. Love the metronome idea - great!

By signing, both parties consent to constructing residential condominiums to be retailed under the second party’s franchise… totaling in a net profit of sixty million dollars... I don't think the elipsis adds anything here!

The eruption of applause from the enterprise’s shareholders was almost audible as his pen poised above the contract, the ringing approval undeniably expanding his company further. After all, the homeless can look after themselves right? Hesitant, Malcolm withdrew and diverted his gaze to the adjacent contract.

By declaring agreement to the governmental regulations of constructing non-for-profit homeless shelters, the understanding that such housings are public amenities is assumed…

A long-suffering sigh escaped his lips, the potential outrage and plummet in reputation was mirrored by the ferocious thunderstorm outside. The series of enterprise awards glowered at his indecision, imposing an indirect threat by the parasitic stakeholders. Malcolm’s leather chair groaned as he swiveled swivelled* it towards the wall of window, his reflection confronting him. You've created this wonderfully calculated experience, I'm enjoying it!

Dazzling Christmas lights illuminate, blinding Malcolm’s bloodshot eyes as he skims the waterlogged footpath, searching for a drier spot to rest with his rucksack of belongings. The laughter captures his attention as he pauses, recognizing recognising* his brother’s house. His heart sinks. Their animated euphoria swamps him, immobilizing immobilising* him as he absorbs the warmth through the window. A few moments of dejection pass, before he trudges onwards, aimless and hopeless. (snubbing the witnessed affection.) I'm not sure about this last bit - not quite sure what it means?

A roll of thunder grumbled. The perfect life Malcolm had spent years and years constructing, his comfort, early retirement and stability all possibly sabotaged, not by someone else, but by himself. The homeless will be fine, I would know, he assured. This last bit here could do with some tweaking - I think even just adding "he assured his colleagues" just so that it makes more sense who it is directed at. The first person narration was a little bizarre, until I read it as though it was being said to someone. So just that little tweak will make things a tiny bit more precise.

A bellow of thunder erupts. A filth-woven blanket enslaves I think enslaves is too graphic and intense for this sentence. Malcolm’s frail limbs as the downpour offers his first shower in months. Day after day, his tin can pathetically rattles. A stampede of chills lingers and a devouring hunger gnaws, creating a ceaseless void that tortures Malcolm like an unscratchable itch. His passive façade enables the business officials to walk by innocently, their gazes fixated only upon society’s wealth.

“Help…please” he rasps towards the hurricane of suits trampling past him, neither noticing nor caring.
------------
The stock market’s turmoil and the controversial media coverage all flashed before Malcolm. Crazed ex-homeless man throws wealth away, I'd put this in quotation marks. they’ll say. Explosions of thunder detonated near the building as a streak of lightning fractured the night sky. The fear of pandemonium drove his pen back onto the first contract. 

The consuming black river swirls beneath the bridge, emulating the inking darkness surrounding him. His mind urges him to jump, just a little step more, there’s nothing left for you anyway, it says and slowly, he clambers over, one leg at a time. The traffic continues to thunder behind him as he perches on the edge, the wind whistling through his greasy, month-old beard. Closing his eyes, he leans forward. Although I'm enjoying reading this a lot - if you need to cut down on words, then the place to do it is in one of these short little passages like this one. The story can go on without it, although it is better with it. So I'd be trying to put these little snippets into other areas.

The storm subdued to a gentle murmur of drizzle as Malcolm rummaged his finger through his pompadour, groaning at the papers before him. He supported thousands of employees and families whose salaries depended on his success. The homeless don’t need his help.

A hand clasps on his shoulder, steadying him again.

“Please don’t do this.”

He whips around, swollen eyes gazing into comforting hazel ones. A tentative smile wavers on the youthful girls lips, rubbing his shoulders as her parked hatchback exposes the shadows of the merciless torrents below them.

“Everything will be okay. I know a shelter that will help.” The girl lifts Malcolm back over the bridge, his actions entranced by her soothing words.

“In life, you always have two choices, the easy or the hard way. And you’ll always find that what’s right, is never easy. Sometimes, look at things differently.”

Spinning him around, she directed his gaze to the other side of the bridge, where a full moon and constellation of stars explodes across the horizon, the immense brightness spellbinding him.

The crack of dawn unexpectedly erupted across the skyline, radiating streams of light into the office. Malcolm’s reflection watched him, gradually morphing, his facial creases receding as a wild, untamed beard sprouted. The hollowness within his past eyes frightened Malcolm, blinking slowly with an expression devoid of purpose.

After all, the homeless can look after themselves, right? His reflection seemed to echo, amused at Malcolm’s astonishment.

“In life, you always have two choices”

Malcolm rolled up his sleeves, pushing aside the desk’s irrelevant contents.

“The easy or the hard way”

Glancing at each contract one last time, Malcolm grabbed his fountain pen, uncapping the lid.

“And you’ll find that what’s right,”

The ghost of his former self hovered towards Malcolm, staring intently before plunging into his present self, galvanizing his revitalized emotions.

“is never easy”

He’d let himself become just another suit in the city, everything he hated on the streets. It needed to end. Gripping his pen, he scrawled his signature across the homeless contract, authorizing authorising it in an envelope before scrunching the other proposal. Standing, he shoved all his awards off the wall, shattering their glass casing. The true currency of life isn’t measured in money.

“To hell with the shareholders, I’m doing this for me.”
-----------

The stark establishment erupted before him. The scaffold was mechanically mounting, the modules slotting in like jigsaws as they each provided an additional layer of complexity and stability. Construction workers scuttled around as though they were laborious honeybees, their fluorescent hardhats functioning as beacons of progress.

“Sir, we’re still at the preliminary stages. It’s not too late to-”

“No. This is the right thing to do.”   

The commotion of operational drills, overhead cranes and distant commands swallowed his self-doubt.

Young entrepreneur rejects once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to resolve growing population, plummets in net worth.

Incoming economic recession after wasteful and misguided expenditure by our leading enterprise.

Corporate partnerships dismantled over crazed ex-homeless man’s alleged ‘moral awakening’
The above three should be in quotation marks :)

The headlines sprawled across his desk, letters of outrage screaming for his attention. The shelter had only been operating for a week and already housed a thousand occupants. Did that mean nothing to them? The piercing jangle of his handset reverberates around the room, relentless with the stream of fuming shareholders demanding revocation.
“I rehabilitated a thousand people, rescued them off the streets and treated them like humans!” He hollered, ripping the handset’s connector chord.

Padding stretched across the entirety of the chamber, sheets of white sprawling across each mattress. The orderly rows were disrupted by the occasional banter of the occupants, laughter and light chatter energizing the room. The vagrants convened within small communal groups, organizing organising* and redistributing their meager belongings as well as amending their physical attributes. A cleanly shaved man with a tainted button-up bustled into one of the groups, excitedly exclaiming and triggering a cheerful uproar. Malcolm watched as they rhythmically chanted, hoisting him on their backs.

“He got it! He got it! He’ll be poor no more! He got it! He got it! He’ll have a meal for sure!” The room echoed, contributing to the clamor.

Spotting Malcolm at the overhang, the crowd cascaded in ebullient applause, with random cries amongst the eruption.

“You sir are the reason why I got my job today!”

“You gave us a second chance when no one else would!”

“Thank you for believing in us!”

Malcolm beamed, tears streaking down his cheek as the gleaming reflection of the community blinded him. Some things money just can’t buy.

I have a lot of different thoughts about this story. It's complicated yet quite simple, which is interesting. Your actual writing is sophisticated and clear yet never verbose. That's great. As you pointed out, the story can end earlier than it does. I think it could actually end at several different points. I like having the effect of discovery there, the ramifications. But, I don't think it is the most important thing. I think you can take out some of your smaller passages and condense it together. The most important sections for me are: Knowing Malcolm works in stocks amongst men and women ignorant of low or no income earners - Knowing Malcolm was on the streets and rescued in a shelter - Knowing Malcolm makes a decision to respond to his own past through present actions. So the headlines add something extra to the work - but I can't say it was completely necessary. Otherwise, there are little snippets that add to the nature of his decision, but I personally think you let go of that tight language you had at the start when it comes to the end. Most likely, it is because you've added the ending more recently. I think the quotes at the end don't round off Malcolm's personal journey - but they certainly talk about the ramifications of discovery on society.

So, where you are at: You've probably got the most flexible story I have read yet. You can stop it at a few stages, you can take little bits out here and there, you can condense it if needed, and you explore so many different stages of discovery on different people. You're in a BLESSING of a position right now! It is just about looking at as many stimulus options and exam papers as possible, and then applying your work by preparing how you'd add, subtract, adjust your work!

Hopefully this makes sense. I put a few small suggestions throughout the work, but now it's just about working out your plan for the exam!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #296 on: October 08, 2016, 06:16:00 pm »
What if someone copies your work or a teacher finds it and thinks you copied your essay/creative from online

We can always contact a school if it is suspected that someone has copied from online for an internal assessment. If, for example, you posted your work here for feedback and it comes up through an internet search of words from your creative, we can contact the school upon request to verify that you are the person who has posted the work :)

hey guys, i reached 60.. this would mean so much if its looked at !  :) :) :) :-\

Will get to you shortly Tahmina! thanks for working so hard :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #297 on: October 08, 2016, 06:18:22 pm »
Alrighty, no worries! Also if I get 30 posts is that for only one essay being checked or I can give in a few? :)

30 posts per long piece (essay or creative) :)

But by all means, post your thesis statements or introductions here for smaller feedback in the mean time :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #298 on: October 08, 2016, 06:42:16 pm »
Could you please mark my creative writing piece and give me feedback on it?  Would this story be suitable to tackle a wide variety of stimuli? I was told by a friend that my structure is pretty rigid so it will be hard to adapt this story to a variety of different discovery stimuli. If it is rigid, is there anything that I could fix to make it more open to adaptation? Thankyou very much!

Hi there! No need to post your work twice, I saw it the first time, I've just been trying to catch up on it all :)

Comments are in the spoiler in bold font :)
Spoiler
She playfully pranced around in the verdant grass beneath her. Ankle-deep, undulating and tangled like a horse’s mane, its tiny fingers tickled her thighs, resulting in a bout of giggles. Every time a new person speaks, you need to start a new line :) “Darling” Her mother gestured. “C’mere. I have a very important responsibility to assign to you”. Curious as to know what, she made her way to the veranda where her mother sat. In her favourite rocking chair, oaken & well-polished to a lovely shade of umber brown. “Today could you help me the washing? It’s a very important job you see.” New line. “Yes mother!” Without hesitation, she agreed. New line. “First could you turn that knob?” Following her mother’s guidance, she adjusted the skeletal tree to better suit her height. Afterwards, she knelt down to grasp clothes from the washing basket, fresh out of the stomach of the great hulking beast which lay in its lair, the shed. Placing each garment onto the branches of the tree, she carefully straightened out any creases in the process. Her dainty little fingers then nimbly fastened pegs, one by one. And then it was done! She sat there admiring her handiwork; her own semaphore secrets depicted in colourful t-shirts and mismatched socks that were fluttering in a scarcely seen summer breeze. She giggled with delight, realising how wonderful her new responsibility was.
Stubborn they called her. Old fashioned,comma they said. She knew otherwise. Unlike other people who used tumble dryers, she dried her clothes in the warmth of the sun, just like her mother had taught her to do so. As the sun blazed above her, she grasped the washing basket chock a block if this was dialogue, then by all means colloquialism is great. But because it is coming from the narrator, it really stands out. full of an assortment of damp garments and brought it over to the base of the rotary clothes line. One by one she raised each garment on the line, ceaselessly repeating the same movements over and over.  Her well-worn hands accumulated in the line-etched story of life in scars and wrinkles, gently reached for the wooden pegs in the tub. One peg, no need for a capital letter in "two" Two pegs …. or here for "twenty"Twenty pegs clamped, all spread out unevenly on each side of the square. Her hands eventually ceased motion, with a sheen of sweat coating her back being the only reward for her hard work. Her feet subsequently probably a bit too calculated language for this really delicate scene led her towards a nearby shed where there lay the washing machine, a familiar sight to her. Perhaps a new paragraph here. You're in need of a new para, and here might be the best place. Adjusting a knob, she dumped the next load of clothes into its cavernous mouth along with a spoonful of powder. Wiping her forehead with a sleeve, she shuffled out of the shed towards the veranda, a veritable oasis from the heat of the day.  Where there lay shade and an oaken framed rocker. Or perhaps the new paragraph here?As she sunk into its wooden frame, a relieved sigh made its way out from her mouth. Time and time again she could never fully appreciate the comfort it offered her until a good day’s worth of work had been completed. The rocking chair was nothing special. It had seen better days, and no amount of polishing could conceal the circular black burn on the right arm, or the chips on the curved gliders, and the scratch marks on the seat. But it was her bastion of favourite memories, for it was in that piece of creaking wood that her mother had once sat, instructing her on how to construct a secret code on the line festooned with garments. “Create your own vivid message” she had been instructed. But its age-warped lines betrayed such an evocative memory, a stark contrast with its past appearance. Ironically she was in the same position as her mother had been in, except without her own daughter doing the laundry outside, who instead was lazing around in the house.  The machine let out its familiar grunt, disturbing her silent moment of reverie. Love this sentence! Perhaps it was time? She could no longer support an entire household’s worth of chores by herself. Her age had caught up to her. Perhaps she’d have to instruct her daughter just like her mother had done so…
 “Maria! Could you please come out darling. I have a very important job to assign to you.” Her own words echoed the same instructions her mother had once said. New line “Muuum” her daughter protested, eager to stay within the comforts of her own room. New line“Maria, come out now”.Don't need this quotation mark here, or the one before please.  “Please, for me? Put a quotation mark here < :)Delete the elipsis and start a new line for "Alright" :) “Alright Mum”. With great reluctance her daughter made her way outside the house. And so she guided her daughter. New line :) “Start with the corner farthest from the house, and work your way back. You can even create your own special combinations of colours as well”. She watched on with great satisfaction at her daughter’s inexperienced attempts at hanging up the laundry. A smug grin couldn’t help but creep itself up onto her face. “I know now, mother. You taught me so that someone else could help out with the housework”. Delightful it was, passing the mantle onto your own child. Truly wonderful that another set of hands could share the workload. The rocker creaked in reply; her own mother amused at her newfound realisation.

Humming, Maria stood in the haze of the afternoon, clumsily grasping each garment and hoisting them onto the sagging wires until she was finally finished. She stepped back to admire her handiwork. New line“Mum, I’ve done a good job right?” As she turned around to ask her mother, she turned around to see her grinning as she lazily slouched on the veranda, on her favourite rocking chair. A drop of sweat ran down her brow. “This is my responsibility?!! That cow!”

I've been picky on the formatting of dialogue because it is super important for your exam! Unorganised dialogue + crazy exam handwriting can make your work really tricky to read :) Google dialogue formatting if you aren't sure! :)

I like how your story goes in the three stages and I also like the way you have carefully used "mother" and "mum" in different contexts - very very clever, I enjoyed it!

The ONLY thing I'm not sure about is the ending. I like the little bit of humour and the abruptness of the conclusion, but I think it could be expressed slightly more as a realisation mentally, paired with an exclamation. So perhaps something like (this is super rough, don't use this exactly lol), "the tables had turned, the baton was passed on." Then, the exclamation in dialogue! I think that works, do you? I just want to make sure you aren't selling yourself short in the ending, but at the same time I don't want to detract from that ending either!

I don't think there's much about the transformative nature of discovery, and to me that's always a section of the rubric I think is really important because it deals with the latter half of the "discovery process." What do you think? It is rigid, but that's just because it's tightly articulated. It's time to think about how you would deal with a stimulus. You've got room for complication. You could add in that the mother is sick and the daughter didn't realise she'd warn her into the ground with arthritis, or something like that. There is room for a subplot that gives you another opportunity for discovery! What do you think?

Overall, great work :) It's now just about your application to the question!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #299 on: October 08, 2016, 06:57:33 pm »
Hey Jamon,
Firstly thank you for the feedback, the subjective nature of the marking has always frightened me to be honest but i'm glad that it is double marked (something I did not know). Does that also go for the Essays as well or is it just creative that they do that?
Also I've passed the 15 post mark like you said however I saw your earlier post about reaching 30. Does that mean I now have to reach 30 to get my creative checked?

I'm not entirely sure, but you're working hard so I'll give yours some feedback now! :)

Spoiler
Every new school year that comes around you get a fresh batch of new It's a bit tautologous to "fresh" so I'd leave this out :) faces, a fresh batch of uncontaminated and naïve minds,comma but sometimes you get lucky. One person comes along who flips your world upside down, that reminds you why it is you do what you do.

As I walked into the room all went still. I took my seat and observed the scene before me. Natural light filtered in through the open windows all along the right side of the room, the drip, drip, drip of the tap at the back filled the empty silence, the back sink stacked high with unwashed pallets and brushes and the students’ expectant gazes fell on me, instinctively wondering what this course had in store for them. To me, it's really weird that the tap is dripping lol! I'd take that bit out, it creates a bit of imagery that distracts from the rest.

It’s always refreshing to see a group of young people enthused by art, who are completely ready to dedicate their entire lives to it. I’ve always thought of art as a means to provide opportunities for self-expression, bringing the inner world into the outer world of concrete reality, however those that do well are the ones who able to gain inspiration from their own experiences and their own inner conflict. Something these students would have to quickly learn. This sounds quite generic of the way one would talk about art. I think the way to make it interesting is to identify the students before them. For example, there's the kid who likes grafitti, there's the girl who doesn't talk but makes beautiful pottery, and the boy who looks cartooning. Something simple like this takes it out of the generic "self expression" of art and puts it into a real classroom situation.

As the period came to an end I quickly informed the class of their next task before they were all out the door.

xxx

As the sun set, the sky was nothing more than shades of purple and orange, there was an eerie feel in the air as a slight breeze whipped back and forth through the branches of the trees along the pathway on which I was walking. All was silent as the last of the students left campus to return to their rooms, or wherever it is they go after dark.

“So this is where you go to hide away from the world?”

“No, it’s where I go to escape into the world.”

I looked over her shoulder and peered at the sketchbook sitting snugly on her lap, her hands shook as she tightly gripped the pencil. The page was smudged with disconnected lines and scratches of words that I couldn’t quick read, the frustration clear from her posture and by her sudden sigh of defeat.

“You know, I only handed that task out today? You have two weeks to complete it.”

“I know, um I just wanted to try and get a start before I completely lose all my motivation-“ She laughed humourlessly “clearly it isn’t going well, I guess I never realised how much I relied on my sight.”

I nodded empathetically and took a seat beside her.

“The great thing about art is that it can come in many different forms, it isn’t about copying what’s already there but more being able to interpret and recreate what already exists, to give something which we all know a new meaning. So you can’t see. Find another way to interpret the world… here, give me your hand.”

Hesitantly she lifted her hand up; I placed mine over the top of hers and slowly lowered it to the ground, quietly instructing her to utilise her other senses to create an image in her mind.

I lifted my hand and placed it beside hers, following the path that she was tracing. My fingers slid across the damp ground and as it did I could feel every blade of grass slide through my fingers and each individual grain of dirt attaching itself to my hand as it continued on. I felt the hairs on my arm lift slightly as a cool breeze swept passed in that moment carrying with it fallen leaves, the smell of damp earth and a sweet tinge of some unidentifiable flower. The sound of the rustling of the branches and the distinct lack of bird calls made the late hour quite obvious. I heard my steady breathe mix in with hers as I continued to take in my surroundings. The more that I began to physically notice, the more of an image I could start to visualise, which I also hope Clarity was able to do.

A short moment passed and I opened my eyes to see Clarity digging through her backpack beside her, sketchpad and pencil long forgotten. Curiously I waited as she finally found what she was searching for; she pulled out a small block of clay from her bag and began to manipulate the substance still keeping her eyes firmly shut. I watched mesmerised by the precise movements of her hands as if they had a life of their own, as I got up quietly to leave her be I momentarily looked back to see a small smile on her face and was reminded why it is I do what I do.

My suggestions:

I think that last bit with the clay is great. Except, I wouldn't do it in that moment. It's too convenient that she has some clay nearby. I think it works best if you move into class the next day, and you tell everyone to start their work, and Clarity brings out the clay. That's more powerful because it implies that the teacher's words have really touched her and transformed her way of thinking (hello discovery!!!). I also like the way you've used Clarity's name as a careful choice :)

I definitely think you should keep this piece, I think it's great. I enjoyed it, and I think the simplicity is something that works in its favour :) I think the only thing to tweak is just my small suggestion about describing the class, and then the ending. This works well with a lot of different discovery aspects. I do really think that the ending needs to work hard to present discovery as transformative, expressive, and changing of perspectives. I think that's where the bulk of your discovery expression sits, so it's important to leave the marker with that sense of rich discovery! :)