Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 03, 2024, 02:59:48 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 211443 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #495 on: October 15, 2017, 01:44:05 pm »
Thanks for clarifying that, Elyse.
So for example a sentence near the end of my creative such as ''These dreams of mine are original and unique, while my fear is not, enabling me to speculate about future possibilities'' would this be appropriate or should I just use more imagery.

I'd say that's probably a tad too obvious in trying to portray a concept, it should be subtle (imagery is one way!) ;D

HSCNewcastle2017

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #496 on: October 15, 2017, 03:24:10 pm »
I'd say that's probably a tad too obvious in trying to portray a concept, it should be subtle (imagery is one way!) ;D

I was thinking so lol. Thanks Jamon.

sanjitjoseph

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #497 on: October 16, 2017, 03:40:59 pm »
Hi could  someone give me
ANY TIPS ON MEMORISING ESSAYS FOR MODULES.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #498 on: October 16, 2017, 04:00:18 pm »
Hi could  someone give me
ANY TIPS ON MEMORISING ESSAYS FOR MODULES.

Heya! These are my tips!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

sanjitjoseph

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #499 on: October 16, 2017, 04:23:06 pm »
CHEERS :)

HTzakos

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #500 on: October 16, 2017, 09:49:42 pm »
Heyyy Jamon and Elyse,
I need some reassurance for Paper 2 tomorrow. All year long I have being taught to provide 2 paragraphs of my prescribed and 2 for my ORT otherwise I would be excluding myself from the top band.  However, I keep trying to tell myself that it's quality over quantity!! But its not working for me and its low key stressing me out lol.
Somebody please reassure me!
Thankssss :) :)
Hayley

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #501 on: October 16, 2017, 10:05:47 pm »
+1
Heyyy Jamon and Elyse,
I need some reassurance for Paper 2 tomorrow. All year long I have being taught to provide 2 paragraphs of my prescribed and 2 for my ORT otherwise I would be excluding myself from the top band.  However, I keep trying to tell myself that it's quality over quantity!! But its not working for me and its low key stressing me out lol.
Somebody please reassure me!
Thankssss :) :)
Hayley

Welcome to the forums Hayley!

It is absolutely quality over quantity. If you give two paragraphs of amazing analysis, that will work better than four paragraphs of nonsense.

Essentially, you need to write as much as you can write without sacrificing quality. If that is four paragraphs, awesome. If it is three, awesome. If it is two, awesome.

The only thing to make sure is that you achieve a balance between prescribed and RT. So if you do ditch a paragraph for your related, make sure the one that remains is very sizeable, maybe even a tad longer than the two others to get as close to an even balance as possible.

Teachers have to apply moulds to success because they are teaching classes of 30. But only you know what works for you, so go with your gut ;D

fatema

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #502 on: October 16, 2017, 10:12:43 pm »
hey,
I'm new to this, but while sitting here studying I'm just wondering if anyone might have a slight idea as to what they would ask in paper 2 tomorrow?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #503 on: October 16, 2017, 10:18:44 pm »
hey,
I'm new to this, but while sitting here studying I'm just wondering if anyone might have a slight idea as to what they would ask in paper 2 tomorrow?

Welcome! We've got a bit of a predictions thread here, but your best bet is to look through past papers for a bit of an indicator! :)

Edit: Woops, that was for Advanced! Past papers will be your best bet, take a look at what they've asked the last few years!

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #504 on: October 26, 2017, 09:39:42 am »
Hello!!
We have just received our first assessment for english yr 12(Unit is Discovery), and it requires us to chose three related texts and then analyse them along with analyzing Frost poems... But my question is- What related texts should I use?
My teacher says shes not allowed to point me in the direction of what texts to chose, but I really need help.
Any ideas??

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #505 on: October 26, 2017, 10:03:30 am »
+1
Hello!!
We have just received our first assessment for english yr 12(Unit is Discovery), and it requires us to chose three related texts and then analyse them along with analyzing Frost poems... But my question is- What related texts should I use?
My teacher says shes not allowed to point me in the direction of what texts to chose, but I really need help.
Any ideas??

i did the red tree by shaun tan, but wth why do u need 3 orts?!
ATAR Goal 90

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #506 on: October 26, 2017, 10:10:57 am »
+2
Try this thread here. It gives a great list of discovery related texts. I suppose you just need to select texts you feel comfortable analysing, and can understand.
EDIT: This link here is a guide to choosing the right related text - might come in handy ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:13:26 am by prickles »

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #507 on: October 26, 2017, 02:34:34 pm »
+2
Hello!!
Any ideas??
I think I had a really similar assessment task earlier in the year as well!
It was a very poor assessment as everyone practically did the same RT, and some students interpreted it differently and teachers had marked them down cause there was an arbitrary benchmark created, of what was a good and bad interpretation of the text. In my opinion, should not have been like that in the first place...
so tip!! Try and not pick a common RT as your year group!
I remember doing
- The Human Condition by Rene Magritte
- Mid Term Break by Seamus Heaney

I dropped those two at the end haha... I didn't liked them cause couldn't find any real strong links with my pescribed (Life of Pi)... So I chose, Piano by D.H. Lawrence! It's quite subtle about the rediscovery, but I think it's pretty good :))
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #508 on: October 26, 2017, 04:47:25 pm »
Wow!! Thanks sooo much all you guys- DalvinT, prickles, and Daniyahasan!! You're all legends!!

Has anyone on here read 'For One Moment'?
Just picked it up and thought it would probably be a good related text... lmk your thoughts :)

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #509 on: November 23, 2017, 01:53:40 pm »
Hello again..
Just wondering what advice anyone has on writing conclusions?? This is mine so far for the following question:
Through the process of discovering, individuals are able to renew their perceptions of the world and others.
Discuss this statement with reference to both the stimulus text and AT LEAST ONE Frost prescribed poem of your own choosing.

Conclusion:
As individuals develop an exploratory view on the world around them, they begin to renew their perceptions and see things in different ways. Individuals often begin to accept their position prior to the discovery, but are then triggered by curiosity, and discover something so meaningful. Frost’s poem ‘The Tuft of Flowers’ and the stimulus text both display this process of discovery, through a variety of techniques.

But now how do I finish it off?? Help!!