Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 01, 2024, 10:09:46 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 211351 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2017, 08:18:10 am »
+1
Is it possible and/or reasonable for a Standard student to write like an Advanced student?
100%! It's not really about whether you're a standard or advanced student, but moreso how much work you put in, and how much you practice your essay writing skills :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Aussie1Italia2

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2017, 02:31:15 pm »
Hi!

I'm just wondering about choosing my related texts; am I able to choose a text from one of the other year 12 modules? Or they can't be on any of prescribed lists for any of the year 12 modules?

Thank you!
HSC 2017:
English Standard
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
PDHPE
Italian Beginners

Hoping to do Neuroscience at Uni!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2017, 03:15:09 pm »
Hi!

I'm just wondering about choosing my related texts; am I able to choose a text from one of the other year 12 modules? Or they can't be on any of prescribed lists for any of the year 12 modules?

Thank you!

Hey Aussie! For a long time I thought you couldn't, but you can use a related text from another module if you would like to! ;D

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2017, 10:17:26 pm »
Hey!

I was wonderin, are we able to choose artworks as a related text? And if so, how do I approach forming an analysis/linking to the module (e.g.distinctively visual) .. Will it be similar to a Visual arts critical analysis of an artwork?
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2017, 12:51:57 am »
+1
Hey!

I was wonderin, are we able to choose artworks as a related text? And if so, how do I approach forming an analysis/linking to the module (e.g.distinctively visual) .. Will it be similar to a Visual arts critical analysis of an artwork?

Hey Dalvin! You can choose artworks for a related text, for the AoS or a Module. I've never done a critical analysis for VA, but I imagine it could be similar. The way you approach the analysis is the same as any other text. For a film you look for cinematic techniques that link to your theme/argument. For a novel, you look for literary techniques. For an artwork, you look for visual techniques!

Just as always, you are looking for how the composer uses techniques to convey an idea. Specifically, for Distinctively Visual, you are looking for how the composer uses technique to create an image for the responder, to place them INTO the story/artwork/whatever in order to resonate more strongly with the ideas the composer is communicating ;D

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2017, 10:32:41 am »
Hey Dalvin! You can choose artworks for a related text, for the AoS or a Module. I've never done a critical analysis for VA, but I imagine it could be similar. The way you approach the analysis is the same as any other text. For a film you look for cinematic techniques that link to your theme/argument. For a novel, you look for literary techniques. For an artwork, you look for visual techniques!

Just as always, you are looking for how the composer uses techniques to convey an idea. Specifically, for Distinctively Visual, you are looking for how the composer uses technique to create an image for the responder, to place them INTO the story/artwork/whatever in order to resonate more strongly with the ideas the composer is communicating ;D

Hey Jamon! I see... But like the artwork already conveys some sort of image... I get how we need to use visual techniques to deconstruct the artwork... But writing the analysis and answering the question is the hard part..

For example...

Spoiler
Essay Question: Distinctive Visuals offer a variety of interesting views of the world .
Analysis: The pathetic fallacy depicted through the thunderous clouds in the background emulate the subject matter's attitude towards the process of venturing into the bewilderness. This is in effect engages the responders to the percieve the world as mysterious that bring a sense of loss and ultimately, stimulates their visual sensory that depicts a dark and ambigious journey into a new world.. (I MADE THIS UP... But just to see what I mean when I don't really know how to answer the question... Do I state what sensory and image it stimulates for the responders?)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:37:48 am by DalvinT »
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2017, 04:11:35 pm »
+1
Hey Jamon! I see... But like the artwork already conveys some sort of image... I get how we need to use visual techniques to deconstruct the artwork... But writing the analysis and answering the question is the hard part..

For example...

Spoiler
Essay Question: Distinctive Visuals offer a variety of interesting views of the world .
Analysis: The pathetic fallacy depicted through the thunderous clouds in the background emulate the subject matter's attitude towards the process of venturing into the bewilderness. This is in effect engages the responders to the percieve the world as mysterious that bring a sense of loss and ultimately, stimulates their visual sensory that depicts a dark and ambigious journey into a new world.. (I MADE THIS UP... But just to see what I mean when I don't really know how to answer the question... Do I state what sensory and image it stimulates for the responders?)

It sounds like you are on the right track!! Like, you are doing the correct things - You have a technique, you explain what it conveys, and then the wider impact on the responders. That's the idea - To explain how the techniques used by the composer stimulate an image for the responder! The image that the artwork conveys will be extrapolated on by the responder, and they will use that to inform themselves regarding the theme - SO there is a difference between the physical image of the artwork, and image that this will convey to the audience :)

Aussie1Italia2

• Trailblazer
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2017, 08:52:43 pm »
Hi guys!

I have a question asking me about the rhyme scheme of a poem more specifically 'What is the rhyme scheme used here? How might the rhyme scheme be effective when performing the poem?'

And I just don't know much about rhyme schemes. So any help would be great help.

Thank you!!! You are all awesome!!!
HSC 2017:
English Standard
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
PDHPE
Italian Beginners

Hoping to do Neuroscience at Uni!

Fahim486

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2017, 10:48:28 pm »
Hey all,

For my Module A, I'm doing the elective Distinctive voices and I was just wondering how I can structure my essay and like what information to put in the introduction, body and conclusion.

Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2017, 11:06:15 pm »
+1
Hi guys!

I have a question asking me about the rhyme scheme of a poem more specifically 'What is the rhyme scheme used here? How might the rhyme scheme be effective when performing the poem?'

And I just don't know much about rhyme schemes. So any help would be great help.

Thank you!!! You are all awesome!!!

Hey Aussie! Happy to help here ;D

A rhyme scheme just refers to the pattern of rhymes at the end of the lines in a poem/stanza. We usually use letters to represent one, for example:

“There was an Old Man with a beard
Who said, 'It is just as I feared!
Two Owls and a Hen,
Four Larks and a Wren,
Have all built their nests in my beard!’”

The rhyme scheme of this poem is AABBA - Representing the rhyming words shown in colour above. This rhyme scheme corresponds to a Limerick - You can do a Google to find common rhyme scheme patterns and their names!! But that's the basic idea - Assign a letter to each line, with rhyming lines having the same letter, and that is your rhyme scheme! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2017, 11:09:21 pm »
+2
Hey all,

For my Module A, I'm doing the elective Distinctive voices and I was just wondering how I can structure my essay and like what information to put in the introduction, body and conclusion.

Thanks!

Hey Fahim! That's a huge question - I think the best way for me to answer at this stage would be to direct you to this guide on writing HSC Essays. It gives you a nice, simple and applicable structure that you can tailor to your texts and hopefully start forming an essay plan! ;D

Fahim486

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2017, 01:03:54 pm »
+1
Hey Fahim! That's a huge question - I think the best way for me to answer at this stage would be to direct you to this guide on writing HSC Essays. It gives you a nice, simple and applicable structure that you can tailor to your texts and hopefully start forming an essay plan! ;D

Jamon Windeyer you are truly a saviour. Thanks for the help!!!!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2017, 01:05:01 pm »
Jamon Windeyer you are truly a saviour. Thanks for the help!!!!!

You are most welcome! ;D glad it was helpful!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2017, 12:58:58 pm »
Hey!
I'm wondering... if we choose a related text that is completely not conceptually or contextually "related" to your pescribed?
Will that limit me from getting a band 6 in the HSC...
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

ataribreaker

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2017, 01:15:44 pm »
Hey!
I'm wondering... if we choose a related text that is completely not conceptually or contextually "related" to your pescribed?
Will that limit me from getting a band 6 in the HSC...

yes it will

Make one which fulfils the whole rubric