Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 02:05:29 pm

Author Topic: Group Devised  (Read 1662 times)  Share 

Paigeyy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Hastings Secondary College Westport Campus
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Group Devised
« on: April 26, 2016, 12:48:15 pm »
Is anyone else struggling with their group devised?
I just feel like two of my group members aren't contributing in the slightest, not to mention that they're almost always absent from school. It makes it so hard to cooperate and even harder to catch them up on work.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
Re: Group Devised
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 05:04:27 pm »
Only things you can do is talk to them (and maybe warn them), and if that doesn't work, talk to your demonstrator before it starts to affect your marks. I'm pretty sure this is what everyone else will say.
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

Paigeyy

• Adventurer
  • School: Hastings Secondary College Westport Campus
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 07:21:48 pm »
Yeah I guess so. We've only just started but from prior experience they haven't been very helpful in group situations. I just don't want them bringing down my performance because of their lack of interest.

student16

• Adventurer
  • School: Davidson High School
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 08:16:16 pm »
I've had the same problem, but I've realised in the Drama room I can't view my other classmate as friends but as team mates as their attitudes and actions affect our own ATARs.  :-\

shamus.clarke

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 06:34:52 pm »
I've seen that the majority of Band 6 group devised pieces deal with a political issue of some kind. Could that possibly be a factor in a high mark?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 06:53:10 pm »
I've seen that the majority of Band 6 group devised pieces deal with a political issue of some kind. Could that possibly be a factor in a high mark?
I don't think this is necessarily a factor in the sense that I don't think a marker is purposefully bumping up the marks of those that deal with these issues. However a lot of these issues are thematically really rich, and can be explored (or exploited) really evocatively through theatre, and thus are prime for a great GP. Along with this, if done well dealing with relevant and relatable concerns that the audience (your markers) may also be experiencing also can leave a more powerful impact. Thats why its often recommended to avoid dealing with subjects like teenage angst etc, because it's just not going to be relatable to your maybe 50+ year old marker!

That being said, if it is dealt with poorly - whether that be just a lack luster performance or being potentially too controversial/offensive - you can still get marked down. Overall they're marking on your ability to translate ideas through theatre effectively - whether that is political or not.

Good luck  :)

Susie
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:16:49 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

claudiarosaliaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 03:48:16 pm »
I completed HSC Drama last year accelerate and speaking for experience the more you let this person bother you the more it will effect your marks. At the end of the day everyone is marked individually and it is very clear to the marks the students who have put in the most work. Acting in a group devised performance is very different to winging an exam, if you don't know what you are doing it is very clear. Don't stress to much, just focus on what you can do to improve yourself. Having a strong sense of character, utilising different theatrical devises and having a coherent piece are the 3 sections you will be marked on. Good luck :)
Year 12 student, Class of 2017. I am currently taking Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, English Advance, Legal Studies & Drama