Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 06:09:45 pm

Author Topic: 2016 Australian election thread  (Read 18813 times)  Share 

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Re: 2016 Australian election thread
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 09:01:31 pm »
Bit of a breakdown here for the non-politically minded who have no idea what's going on :)

Also, I'd highly recommend this site:
http://australia.isidewith.com/

Couple of ideology-based questions, and it gives you a breakdown of your political alignments, which is pretty cool.

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 04:17:40 pm »
Lol, you're probably right about that. :'(

Anybody here know which party wants to lower the HECs repayment threshold to $42000?
I don't want to make the wrong decision on election day and unfortunately don't follow politics too heavily!

Anyone?

I think it's the Libs that are implementing this policy. This is very high compared to when people have to pay taxes (18,200 if you don't already know). Labour, oppose it, so does the greens. They generally oppose such on the bases that the point of HECS was that the students don't pay unless they benefitted from the higher education, hence, they believe that they should keep the repayment threshold at its current rate at $54,126 for this financial year.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 04:41:03 pm »
If you have a spare 30 minutes and want to watch some dry humour, check out The Chaser's Election Desk (Ep 1).

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/chasers-election-desk/LE1530H001S00
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 08:40:04 am »
Voting Day! Make sure you all go out and vote* by 6pm :)

(* if you're 18+)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 09:48:23 am »
Vote early, vote often.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 01:23:57 pm »
Voted Already.

The Senate ballot paper is so bloody long, and awkward to write on in the comparatively small polling booths.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 01:26:23 pm »
Voted Already.

The Senate ballot paper is so bloody long, and awkward to write on in the comparatively small polling booths.

I know right..... It took me a few minutes to find the party I was looking for. I had to fold the paper because there wasn't enough room in the booth for me to write haha

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2016, 06:27:29 pm »
Automatic updating graphs. Watch coverage and/or watch graphs update as the night goes on (for anyone interested):

http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/results/

or if you just want stats, http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDefault-20499.htm

Enjoy.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2016, 06:50:54 pm »
Thanks, Aaron. Should be an interesting evening.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

oooo

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 08:30:16 pm »
Since this is after all an educational website (:P), can someone please mind explaining what a double dissolution is?

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 09:18:47 pm »
Since this is after all an educational website (:P), can someone please mind explaining what a double dissolution is?

Normally the whole lower house is dismissed and re-elected, but only half the Senate is. That means half the senators will be experienced and up-to-date with the current bills, even if all new people get elected. A double dissolution is where *all* the Senate is re-elected, and it only happens when there's a special trigger (eg the Government thinks "important" legislation is being voted down).
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 09:27:42 pm »
In order for a Bill to become law or and act of parliament, the Bill must be passed by both the senate and the House of Representatives. However, a hostile senate which blocks all of the legislation enacted by the House of Reps can be a stagnation in terms of making laws. Preferably, negotiation is to take place. when the senate fails to pass the Bill in its full form. However, in the event of where the disagreement continues, the governor-general can call for the both the house of representatives and the senate to be shut down, dispersing its members. This is called a double dissolution (DD).

In the event of DD, a federal election takes place. Instead of the regular federal elections, a DD election involves re-electing the full senate as opposed to half of it.

When they have the new senate and house of reps, the parliament can again attempt to pass the bill again. If that fails, then a joint setting can be held, where both the house of reps and the senate sit together and vote on the bill in question.

It is risky for the PM as it means that he can lose his job as a new government can be installed during an election. But a dreadlock is equally bad, and a struggle to pass bills means nothing gets done. Either way, bad to the PM, but at least with the DD, the dreadlock will be solved.

For more information:
http://www.peo.gov.au/learning/fact-sheets/double-dissolution.html
http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/House_of_Representatives/Powers_practice_and_procedure/00_-_Infosheets/Infosheet_18_-_Double_Dissolution

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2016, 01:33:27 am »
Here's some quick stats for you all at 1:30am

Spoiler
Source: http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseStateFirstPrefsByParty-20499-NAT.htm

Interesting to note how close the 2PP is - AND how many informal votes there are.

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2016, 09:13:14 am »
Hung Parliament here we come.   ;)
A return to the Gillard vs. Abbott years in 2010.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2016, 09:18:57 am »
Normally the whole lower house is dismissed and re-elected, but only half the Senate is. That means half the senators will be experienced and up-to-date with the current bills, even if all new people get elected. A double dissolution is where *all* the Senate is re-elected, and it only happens when there's a special trigger (eg the Government thinks "important" legislation is being voted down).
Just to break it down really simply, this is what happnens in a DD:

> legislation tries to get passed
> it doesn't get passed, twice
> prime minister goes "what the FUCK  >:( >:( >:( >:( guys i HATE you I'm going to call an election" (legislation not being passed twice generates a double dissolution "trigger", meaning an election can be called).
> as MR said, both the houses of parliament are dissolved (i.e., double dissolution).

So basically, what happened last night is, Malcom Turnbull played himself. #anotherone #majorkey

Holy shit thought what a night?! I sort of bailed when it was 61 seats apiece... Can someone fill me in? I've read that it's 70 to 65 seats at the moment, and that 11 are in balance with 6 looking ALP likely? Am I right in suggesting the most probable outcome of the election is 75 to 71 seats; hung parliament?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️