Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 04:19:40 pm

Author Topic: HSC Class of 2016 Discussion Thread  (Read 156483 times)  Share 

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: HSC Class of 2016 Discussion Thread
« Reply #435 on: September 01, 2016, 06:39:22 pm »
+1
I meant I can't really imagine you wearing those clothes jamon

For all chem lovers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAJsZWhj6GI

This didn't give me cancer, because that's a horrible saying, but you get the gist. Jesus.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #436 on: September 01, 2016, 07:45:21 pm »
I meant I can't really imagine you wearing those clothes jamon

For all chem lovers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAJsZWhj6GI
This didn't give me cancer, because that's a horrible saying, but you get the gist. Jesus.

Ahahaha as bad as this is it is still better than the original (even though for the first time in a while i strongly regretted clicking on a link :P)
I think I need to neutralise my brain not just my eyes lmao

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #437 on: September 01, 2016, 08:25:29 pm »
Conic.

If you're interested, this is what the maths association had to say about the new mathematics syllabuses.

Thanks for the links Ruiace

How are we going to help all the new students when the new syllabii come out?

Yeah that "all about that base" was pretty cringe. Their singing is like....Awww..... makes me wanna pull my hair out ahaha

Are any of you going to UNSW open day this saturday?

Klexos

• Forum Regular
  • Exceeding limitations
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #438 on: September 01, 2016, 08:39:21 pm »
Thanks for the links Ruiace

How are we going to help all the new students when the new syllabii come out?

Yeah that "all about that base" was pretty cringe. Their singing is like....Awww..... makes me wanna pull my hair out ahaha

Are any of you going to UNSW open day this saturday?

Woooo, I will be!!!
2015 HSC: Business Studies

2016 HSC: English Advanced  l  Mathematics  l Mathematics Extension 1  l  Economics  l  Physics

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #439 on: September 01, 2016, 08:43:23 pm »
Woooo, I will be!!!

That's great to hear  :D

Unfortunately I won't be there  :(

Jakeybaby

• Trendsetter
  • Grad Year: 2016
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #440 on: September 04, 2016, 12:58:46 am »
My chemistry cohort sang this in front of the entire school at an assembly hehe :p
2016 ATAR: 98.60

2020: Bachelor of Finance @ University of Adelaide

Recipient of the 2017 University of Adelaide Principals' Scholarship

HighTide

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Sink or swim
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #441 on: September 04, 2016, 06:20:51 pm »
+2
My chemistry cohort sang this in front of the entire school at an assembly hehe :p
So this is what they do in South Australia..
2014-2015: VCE
2016-2018: Bachelor of Biomedical Science

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #442 on: September 08, 2016, 04:58:31 pm »
Could someone please clarify some things for me/give me a quick idiot's guide to the HSC? My knowledge of the HSC system is a bit fuzzy which is making it a bit of a pain to apply for scholarships and stuff in NSW because there's no nifty conversions table I can consult to figure out what the VCE equivalent is so that I can be sure that I'm doing it right. :P

Anyway:

Trials are like internal school assessments right? They count toward your study score/subject mark/whatever but are set by your school?

and

What are units?

and

If I'm asked for the "position in year at trial" is that like a sort of rankings thing?

sorry if this is vague and ambigious.

Mods: If I'm posting this in the wrong place, pls don't murder me. I couldn't find anywhere where such a post would fit so just posted it here. :P

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #443 on: September 08, 2016, 05:15:58 pm »
+2
pls don't murder me

Whyever not?!  I've been waiting months for this opportunity, HLS.

*sinister chuckle*
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #444 on: September 08, 2016, 05:33:48 pm »
+2
Could someone please clarify some things for me/give me a quick idiot's guide to the HSC? My knowledge of the HSC system is a bit fuzzy which is making it a bit of a pain to apply for scholarships and stuff in NSW because there's no nifty conversions table I can consult to figure out what the VCE equivalent is so that I can be sure that I'm doing it right. :P

I got you ;)

Trials are like internal school assessments right? They count toward your study score/subject mark/whatever but are set by your school?

They can be set by external bodies (like the Catholic Secondary Schools Association sets a paper that many schools use), but yes, it is just a big internal assessment!

What are units?

Units for us mean a different thing than for you guys. To qualify for a Higher School Certificate, you need to complete at least 10 units of study. Subjects are usually worth 2 units, some are worth 1 unit. You must do 2 units of English (so, at least the basic English course or its harder equivalent), but you can add more English (Extensions) if you want to. When our ATAR is calculated, they take our best 10 units. So for example, my subjects were:

Mathematics (2 Units)
Math Extension (1 Unit)
Physics (2 Units)
Legal Studies (2 Units)
English Advanced (2 Units)
Studies of Religion (1 Unit)
Music (2 Units)

Totalling 12 units, but my Music units didn't count towards my ATAR, because they were my worst units after scaling ;D
and

If I'm asked for the "position in year at trial" is that like a sort of rankings thing?

Precisely ;)

What scholarships are you applying for? ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #445 on: September 08, 2016, 05:36:03 pm »
+3

Anyway:

and

What are units?

and

sorry if this is vague and ambigious.

Mods: If I'm posting this in the wrong place, pls don't murder me. I couldn't find anywhere where such a post would fit so just posted it here. :P
Yes, trials are under internal assessment. They're just named trials because they're formatted to correspond to the actual final exam.

Most courses are 2 unit and some are 1 unit. You can inquire about specific combinations of courses and how many units they aggregate up to if you wish. To complete the HSC, you must undertake a minimum of 10 units (conditions apply on category A courses (most) and category B courses)

That last one is ambiguous by nature. I'd assume yes, ranks.

Wow Jamon stop being a ninja

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #446 on: September 08, 2016, 05:47:41 pm »
+5
Yes, trials are under internal assessment. They're just named trials because they're formatted to correspond to the actual final exam.

Most courses are 2 unit and some are 1 unit. You can inquire about specific combinations of courses and how many units they aggregate up to if you wish. To complete the HSC, you must undertake a minimum of 10 units (conditions apply on category A courses (most) and category B courses)

That last one is ambiguous by nature. I'd assume yes, ranks.

Wow Jamon stop being a ninja

Wait, that's not right... That would make a decent MX2 probability question ;)

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #447 on: September 09, 2016, 03:11:15 pm »
A couple of days before the preliminary english advanced exams and most people in your english cohort have only written 2 (max) and some writing none

Also people are too busy fooling around one of the most important weeks in yr 11

Ever experienced this sort of situation? If so what do you do?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #448 on: September 09, 2016, 03:20:24 pm »
+2
A couple of days before the preliminary english advanced exams and most people in your english cohort have only written 2 (max) and some writing none

Also people are too busy fooling around one of the most important weeks in yr 11

Ever experienced this sort of situation? If so what do you do?

Stop worrying about your cohort, and focus on your own study. It's also only Year 11 exams; most people pick up their game in Year 12.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #449 on: September 09, 2016, 04:29:32 pm »
+1
Whyever not?!  I've been waiting months for this opportunity, HLS.

*sinister chuckle*

I've said this before and irrespective of however often I say this, what I'm about to say never gets any less true.

You're really really really scary sometimes... well you would be... if I didn't know you were kidding. :P

Thanks jamonwindeyer and RuiAce! :D

Just gonna submit my SAC scores. Trials sound vaguely like SACs and tbh, I think that's the closest thing we have to them soooo yeah.

Contacted the uni directly and in what was probably the most shocking thing of '16, they were actually pretty helpful even if it took them over a week and a half to answer my inquiry(I find a lot of unis get pretty cagey/vague whenever students start asking questions...). Essentially, they told me just put in what I believed to be the VCE equivalent to the trials and that they would figure it out because the powers that be are trained to recognise multiple academic systems or something along those lines.

Thank you again!