Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 11:46:25 am

Author Topic: Standard Math Q+A Thread  (Read 184641 times)  Share 

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
Re: General Math Q+A Thread
« Reply #600 on: May 13, 2018, 09:59:32 am »

The reason why it makes no difference is because we haven't specified any conditions on who sits at the front or who sits at the back.

Omg you explained this perfectly, thankyou!!
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #601 on: May 18, 2018, 10:17:56 pm »
2d? I swear I've done it the same way that the example has but my answer is completely off lol. Thank you!!
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #602 on: May 18, 2018, 10:48:31 pm »
+2
2d? I swear I've done it the same way that the example has but my answer is completely off lol. Thank you!!
You should be able to consider the complement for this one. The opposite of winning at least one prize is winning no prizes.

So just do 1 - your answer from c).

(Otherwise, you need to add the probability of winning only 1st prize, or winning only 2nd prize, or winning both)
-------------------------------------------------
Having said that, if you want to compare it to the original example, please post that one up as well
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:59:16 pm by RuiAce »

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #603 on: May 23, 2018, 11:17:45 pm »

You should be able to consider the complement for this one. The opposite of winning at least one prize is winning no prizes.

So just do 1 - your answer from c).

(Otherwise, you need to add the probability of winning only 1st prize, or winning only 2nd prize, or winning both)
-------------------------------------------------
Having said that, if you want to compare it to the original example, please post that one up as well
Oo I got it, thankyou so much man!! I never thought of it that way haha. Thanks again.

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #604 on: May 30, 2018, 09:01:32 pm »
Hi, I’m not sure if this is a stupid question but it’s annoying me.

In Mathematics and Health, in the Least-squares regression line questions, I don’t understand how when you find the equation of the line, the y-intercept is completely different from the actual y-int on the line on the scatter plot. Like my textbook shows a line which has its Y-int at 4.84 (on the graph) but the equation for THAT line is ‘y = -0.1357x + 276.82’.

And when you do the working out the that equation is correct but IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE IF ALL THE VARIABLES ARE NO WHERE NEAR THE Y-INT. ugh. I asked my math teacher and he had no idea, so if someone understands this please help. Exam next week, thaank you!  :’)
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #605 on: June 01, 2018, 12:08:22 pm »
Hi, I’m not sure if this is a stupid question but it’s annoying me.

In Mathematics and Health, in the Least-squares regression line questions, I don’t understand how when you find the equation of the line, the y-intercept is completely different from the actual y-int on the line on the scatter plot. Like my textbook shows a line which has its Y-int at 4.84 (on the graph) but the equation for THAT line is ‘y = -0.1357x + 276.82’.

And when you do the working out the that equation is correct but IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE IF ALL THE VARIABLES ARE NO WHERE NEAR THE Y-INT. ugh. I asked my math teacher and he had no idea, so if someone understands this please help. Exam next week, thaank you!  :’)
Can you post the full question so that I have something more concrete to refer to?

rh1A

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #606 on: June 05, 2018, 08:22:01 am »
Hello, :)
Just a few questions about questions that i have about some data and scatter plots i have done for mathematics and health...
The questions are:
What does the gradient mean for each set of data?
Describe any correlation between the 2 variables for each of data.
For which group of countries (developed/developing) do you think Government spending on health has a greater impact on life expectancy?

Soo...what exactly should i include in each question? They are all worth 2 marks each.
Sorry if it doesn't make sense... ::)
Chrz.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #607 on: June 05, 2018, 08:49:02 am »
+1
Hello, :)
Just a few questions about questions that i have about some data and scatter plots i have done for mathematics and health...
The questions are:
What does the gradient mean for each set of data?
Describe any correlation between the 2 variables for each of data.
For which group of countries (developed/developing) do you think Government spending on health has a greater impact on life expectancy?

Soo...what exactly should i include in each question? They are all worth 2 marks each.
Sorry if it doesn't make sense... ::)
Chrz.
The answer to the first question is pretty much on the formula sheet

As for the rest, it will depend entirely on what the data looks like.

rh1A

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #608 on: June 06, 2018, 07:25:32 am »
Hello i have no idea how to answer this question:

Francis is to be administered 3000mg of medication through an IV drip. The solution through which it can be administered comes in two forms, 50mg per 5mL or 8mg per 5mL. In either case the drip will be delivered at a rate of 20 drips per minute and there are 5 drips per mL. Calculate how much quicker the stronger solution will take to deliver the 3000mg of medication.

Thanks...

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #609 on: June 06, 2018, 01:52:02 pm »
+2
Hello i have no idea how to answer this question:

Francis is to be administered 3000mg of medication through an IV drip. The solution through which it can be administered comes in two forms, 50mg per 5mL or 8mg per 5mL. In either case the drip will be delivered at a rate of 20 drips per minute and there are 5 drips per mL. Calculate how much quicker the stronger solution will take to deliver the 3000mg of medication.

Thanks...

Hey there! So let me show you how to do it for the weaker solution.

First, we have 20 drips per minute, and 5 drips per mL. 5 goes into 20 four times - This means we will have 4mL/minute of solution going in, regardless of which we pick.

Now for the weaker solution, there are 8mg of medication per 5mL. We have 4mL, or 4/5 of the amount of solution. So, we also have 4/5 the amount of medication.

So we are getting 6.2mg of medication, per minute. How many minutes will it take to deliver 3000mg?

Try doing the same with the stronger solution to figure out how much quicker it will be! ;D

kaustubh.patel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #610 on: June 10, 2018, 08:51:28 pm »
hey guys i might need some help with a question too. Part c im not getting the ans is S=0.9275M + 8.0041

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #611 on: June 10, 2018, 09:03:23 pm »
hey guys i might need some help with a question too. Part c im not getting the ans is S=0.9275M + 8.0041
The answers are using \(T\) and \(H\). Where are you getting \(S\) and \(M\)?

BrittyG

• Forum Regular
  • Work hard and be rewarded
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #612 on: June 23, 2018, 10:36:04 pm »
Hi all,
This question was in my task 3 exam on Wednesday and has been racking my brain the past couple of days!! Someone help me out here pleaseeeee

'Three cards, 'K, Q, J' are faced down on a table.

One card is selected at random and replaced.

A second card is selected at random and replaced.

This experiment is repeated 45 times, what is the expected number of getting 2 Queens.'

I think in the exam I came to the conclusion of 5 but I have no idea how I got it or if it's right.
HSC 2018
Biology || Business Studies || English Standard || Genral Math || PDHPE || Studies of Religion I

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #613 on: June 23, 2018, 10:57:13 pm »
Hi all,
This question was in my task 3 exam on Wednesday and has been racking my brain the past couple of days!! Someone help me out here pleaseeeee

'Three cards, 'K, Q, J' are faced down on a table.

One card is selected at random and replaced.

A second card is selected at random and replaced.

This experiment is repeated 45 times, what is the expected number of getting 2 Queens.'

I think in the exam I came to the conclusion of 5 but I have no idea how I got it or if it's right.
Well, if we include ordering then your events are KK, KQ, KJ, QK, QQ, QJ, JK, JQ, JJ (9 events), and they're all equally likely. So the probability of QQ is just 1/9, so when you multiply that by 45...

BrittyG

• Forum Regular
  • Work hard and be rewarded
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #614 on: June 23, 2018, 11:17:08 pm »
So the probability of QQ is just 1/9, so when you multiply that by 45...
5!! Cheering!

Thank you for clearing that up :))
HSC 2018
Biology || Business Studies || English Standard || Genral Math || PDHPE || Studies of Religion I