Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 04:03:14 pm

Author Topic: Speed vs Legibility  (Read 8053 times)  Share 

lozil

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Speed vs Legibility
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 09:36:39 pm »
Yeah, my history ext teacher said we should be getting out 1700-2000 words in an hour (per essay)!!  :-\ No idea how I'm gonna achieve that

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 10:55:50 pm »
Yeah, my history ext teacher said we should be getting out 1700-2000 words in an hour (per essay)!!  :-\ No idea how I'm gonna achieve that

I am sorry, but I think that's horrifically excessive. 2000 -> That's more than a word every two seconds! I could never do that, and I don't know anyone that could. At least, you could never do it without memorising the essay. I'd love to see a 2000 word essay written on the spot in an hour, ahaha ;D

I don't know about History Extension, but in my essay subjects I probably got about 1400 words done in an hour (non-memorised), about 2700 words in two hours anyway (that's about where my Paper 2 essay totals were at from memory). 2000 words in an hour seems way beyond scope in my eyes :P

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 11:02:52 pm »
+1
Extension essays go for 60 minutes, not 40.

But 2000 is still too much. A "reasonable extremity" in my opinion would probably be 1500 yeah :P

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 09:05:19 am »
+1
Extension essays go for 60 minutes, not 40.

But 2000 is still too much. A "reasonable extremity" in my opinion would probably be 1500 yeah :P

Yeah I'd agree with Rui here, around 1500 seems reasonable in an hour if you are extremely well-prepared, a fast writer who memorises could possibly come up with more. In saying that however, there are a lot of students I know who do exceptionally well writing much less, its about quality over quantity!
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

lozil

• Trailblazer
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2016, 10:59:00 pm »
+1
I am sorry, but I think that's horrifically excessive. 2000 -> That's more than a word every two seconds! I could never do that, and I don't know anyone that could. At least, you could never do it without memorising the essay. I'd love to see a 2000 word essay written on the spot in an hour, ahaha ;D

I don't know about History Extension, but in my essay subjects I probably got about 1400 words done in an hour (non-memorised), about 2700 words in two hours anyway (that's about where my Paper 2 essay totals were at from memory). 2000 words in an hour seems way beyond scope in my eyes :P

Ok, that's a relief! I thought she was being a bit ambitious... Still, so much I want to write  :'(

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 08:34:18 am »
Ok, that's a relief! I thought she was being a bit ambitious... Still, so much I want to write  :'(

If your worried about writing so much, then practice writing under timed conditions

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 09:26:39 am »

I tend to think that history teaches expect a lot more writing than what is actually necessary...that's just always been my experience! My teacher for modern history (well, she was the teacher for the other modern class, but we shared teachers sometimes) admitted to us after the exam that all year she had told us a huge number to give us a high goal to achieve, and if we fell short, we'd still be writing a lot.

In saying that, for Extension English, I wrote an essay about 2000 words in perhaps an hour and 5/10 minutes? I had it completely memorised. For something like history, I just don't think I could ever come that close. You can't completely memorise history essays for an exam. I could only write so much for Extension because it was memorised and the essay question was workable with my prepared work. I could not do it for something I have to think up on the spot!

History is one of the subjects that you need to optimise your reading time for, in order to get the absolute most out of your writing time. So rather than thinking about how you're not going to be able to write 2000 words (although, maybe if you eat your nutrigrain you might get close  ;)), think about how you can make the most of that time. Try build up the skill of thinking about the sentence ahead as you're still writing the sentence before. Try timed conditions if they work for you (I never did timed conditions, bar like, two occasions), find a pen that glides wonderfully, and focus on optimising your time, rather than a word count. You've got this!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

lozil

• Trailblazer
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 09:10:09 pm »
I tend to think that history teaches expect a lot more writing than what is actually necessary...that's just always been my experience! My teacher for modern history (well, she was the teacher for the other modern class, but we shared teachers sometimes) admitted to us after the exam that all year she had told us a huge number to give us a high goal to achieve, and if we fell short, we'd still be writing a lot.

In saying that, for Extension English, I wrote an essay about 2000 words in perhaps an hour and 5/10 minutes? I had it completely memorised. For something like history, I just don't think I could ever come that close. You can't completely memorise history essays for an exam. I could only write so much for Extension because it was memorised and the essay question was workable with my prepared work. I could not do it for something I have to think up on the spot!

History is one of the subjects that you need to optimise your reading time for, in order to get the absolute most out of your writing time. So rather than thinking about how you're not going to be able to write 2000 words (although, maybe if you eat your nutrigrain you might get close  ;)), think about how you can make the most of that time. Try build up the skill of thinking about the sentence ahead as you're still writing the sentence before. Try timed conditions if they work for you (I never did timed conditions, bar like, two occasions), find a pen that glides wonderfully, and focus on optimising your time, rather than a word count. You've got this!

Aaarrghh ok. For question 1 I tend to spend the reading time reading the source (obviously :p) plus 5-10 minutes annotating/planning it before I actually write my response... Do you think this is too much time on the source?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 09:56:08 pm »
Aaarrghh ok. For question 1 I tend to spend the reading time reading the source (obviously :p) plus 5-10 minutes annotating/planning it before I actually write my response... Do you think this is too much time on the source?

I didn't study Extension History so I don't have an exact plan of attack. Although, my plan for every exam was to spend the least amount of writing time, not writing, as possible. So I wanted to do any source/text reading and analysing in the reading time, plus a minute or two overboard for annotating, and then spend the rest writing my answer. But, take this with a grain of salt, because I don't know the demands of the History Extension paper!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

lozil

• Trailblazer
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 09:23:24 pm »
I didn't study Extension History so I don't have an exact plan of attack. Although, my plan for every exam was to spend the least amount of writing time, not writing, as possible. So I wanted to do any source/text reading and analysing in the reading time, plus a minute or two overboard for annotating, and then spend the rest writing my answer. But, take this with a grain of salt, because I don't know the demands of the History Extension paper!

Ok, well thanks anyway!

kb123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 10:38:00 am »
Usually teachers are able to decipher your words, therefore I think you should aim for speed, although don't write totally illegibly in 2 year old scribbles. This is what I learned from my experience :)

Katya ;)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 04:03:27 pm »
I am notoriously messy and both my English and SOR II teachers make no denial of it. I recently got told to use a felt tip pen of you are messy as similar to writing in texta, it forces you to be neater. I sacrifice a little bit of speed then writing with a ballpoint, but I gain a lot of legibility.

The advice is out there. Up to you whether you take it on board or brush it to one side. Doesnt bother me ;D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 05:04:54 pm »
Hey! For History Extension you really do need to spend that 5-10 minutes planning, that is the perfect amount :) The sources, particularly in section 1 are really long, and require more than the reading time to understand. They don't treat it like you are writing a 1 hour essay, but a 50 minute essay. Even then, History Extension is not like Modern of Ancient whereby you need to write at least 1000 words in 45 mins to be considered a band 6, but is WAY more focused upon the actual content of your writing, and how well you engage with the source.

Spending the extra time to really nail that source and writing a 1100 word essay is better than writing a 1500 word essay but not engaging with the source :) Hope this helps! These are all tips from an old senior marker.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:18:52 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 09:00:54 pm »
Speed is probably more important for English than anything else. Because it's essay after essay after essay. (Or insert a creative halfway through, but you get the idea.)

Write fast enough so that you can get your content on the paper. But if you sacrifice so much legibility to the point that BOSTES has to actually HIRE a decryptor for you then we have problems.

teapancakes08

• Forum Regular
  • "Smile for another day"
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 10:04:54 pm »
My handwriting is torture to read, and that's not counting the number of teachers commenting to watch my handwriting. Even when I'm writing slowly it looks pretty terrible; the closest mental image I can give is messed up calligraphy, but that's probably an understatement. And that's not even getting into what it looks like when I'm coming up with things on the spot....

Any tips to counteract this?
Certified awkward turtle; HSC '17

Subjects:
English Advanced
Japanese Continuers
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension 1
Physics
Visual Arts