Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 04:42:40 pm

Author Topic: GATTACA prompts  (Read 10533 times)  Share 

Olivia Shamoon

GATTACA prompts
« on: November 11, 2016, 08:37:11 am »
Hi guys,

I have to write a text response on the film Gattaca and we are given two prompts to choose from.
1. Gattaca demonstrates that there is no gene for fate. Discuss.
2. Gattaca is about the triumph of the human spirit. Discuss.

I'm not sure which one to choose. Which one would you suggest? Which prompt has the most to write about? Or the best content to write about? How should I approach each prompt?

Thanks Guys  ;D

emilyb4398888

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: GATTACA prompts
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 10:07:53 am »
+2
Hi guys,

I have to write a text response on the film Gattaca and we are given two prompts to choose from.
1. Gattaca demonstrates that there is no gene for fate. Discuss.
2. Gattaca is about the triumph of the human spirit. Discuss.

I'm not sure which one to choose. Which one would you suggest? Which prompt has the most to write about? Or the best content to write about? How should I approach each prompt?

Thanks Guys  ;D

I think both of these are really good prompts!

But for the first one, I would structure it like this;
- Context paragraph (establishing the genetic world and how  / why it can have such an impact - desire to create a utopia etc)
- Discuss how there is no gene for fate and how some people take charge of their own destiny (Vincent and the girl ... I don't quite remember her name, Helen?)
- Alternatively discuss how often human weaknesses lead us to a point of complacency, where we expect success (Aton / Jerome)
- Discuss the ramifications of either alternative  (pain and anguish or success and self fulfillment)

nintynine.ninefive

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: secret
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 05:01:20 pm »
+6
Both great topics and could talk about similar stuff in each topic. Personally I'd chose topic 1 as you can include more imo

I would discuss:
1 - how ambition, hope and determination surpass any 'fate' and hence, allow the characters to rebel and go in pursuit of their dreams. You could discuss the difference between Eugene's superior genetic makeup but he's "burdened by perfection" discuss Vincent's fate suggesting that "the only way you'll see the inside of a spaceship is you're cleaning it." But how he defied this and managed to become one of the best

2 - you could discuss something about childhood/identity and how an individual is constantly changing/multi-faceted. how the opinions on others can shape an individuals identity. Discuss the symbolism of the school gates visually representing the many social barricades Vincent's "god child" status faces. Discuss the pivotal moment of Vincent and anton playing "chicken" and how it proved to Vincent he is capable (he beat Anton despite him having "no excuse to fail"). You could also talk about Eugene at the start of the movie vs Eugene at the end -- how he had no hope at the beginning, wanted to commit suicide (despite having superior genes he "still wasn't number 1") and Vincent restored his legacy. Transition of his character shows a capacity for change. And finally discuss how Eugene meticulously prepares DNA samples for Vincent prior to committing suicide ("enough to last you 2 lifetimes")
-> you could probably stretch this out to create 2 paragraphs, depending on how many ideas you have

3 - there are two things you could do here: either do another paragraph to strengthen your argument or show the other perspective of the question. Personally, I'd offer the the opposing perspective.
Some ideas for this:

- talk about how fate is key in this dystopian society
You could discuss his fate determined at birth, the "invalid" and how this resulted in him having limited opportunities to succeed. Go into detail with his father refusing the name "Anton" as he wasn't deemed worthy of the family legacy. Talk about the scanner (red vs green light at entrance of GATTACA) that rejects his entrance due to his inferior status and this forces him to assume the identity of Jerome. Talk about Vincent having his life determined by genetic info at the moment of birth - litany of faults being red, "30.2 years to live"...ect. May also be useful to discuss Irene testing Vincent's DNA on the black market, the tolitarian attitude and compare between Anton and Vincent (Anton always fav child, got family name, taller, received more compassion from family, Vincent sat on seperate table at dinner...)
Symbolism of the double helix staircase is also a good one to pick up on!!! The scene where Eugene is struggling up the stairs, you could discuss to his movements representing swimming motions. Connect this to Vincent swimming in the ocean - chicken - and him trying to swim/move up the hierarchy.

Some other key quotes that would be useful:
"Refuse to play the hand he was delt"
"If you don't succeed, try, try again"
"It wasn't an accident"
"No gene for fate"
"Exceed his potential"
"Lovely piece of equipment"
"Eugene suffered under a different burden - the burden of perfection"
"I'll never understand what possessed my mother to put her faith in God's hands" (contrasting demonic connotations of "possessed" to "god")
"Real resume is in my cell" - REALLY good one for paragraph to say there IS a gene for fate
"New underclass"
"Discrimination down to a science"

Talk about camera angles and filmic techniques in any essay you write about films.
High angles/low angles could indicate who has more power
Bird's-eye-view angles are important and commonly seen when Vincent and Anton are swimming. Water takes up majority of the frame, this could suggest the reduction in humanity in a world where technical advancements is most highly valued.
Mid shots could show tension
Extreme close up (eg: of body parts at beginning of the film). This highlights importance of DNA - could include in final paragraph where you talk about fate determined by genes

Costume, makeup, mise-en-scene, sound, lighting...ect...all filmic techniques.
Picking up on the sepia haze filter that is used could be useful. It suggests unnatural world, nostalgic, blurred view of reality...

For the second topic you could include some of the same ideas:
- how determination, ambition, and hope are all important human attributes. These allow Vincent to defy his fate. His spirit allow him to achieve his dream.
- how childhood/identity can contribute to an individual and they have a fluid, constantly changing personality (also talk about change in Eugene, talk about Irene and her distorted views)
- how the human spirit only gets so far, fate is predetermined and limits success/opportunities available. This means they are restricted from what they are capable of

Hope this helped a bit, feel free to email me if you need any more help!!! Xx

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 05:33:41 pm »
Great explanation and ideas, nintynine.ninefive!  Welcome to the ATARNotes club :D
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Olivia Shamoon

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 07:39:46 pm »
Hey guys :)

So I wrote an introduction for the first prompt (there is no gene for fate) and I was really stuck on what to write, so this is what I came up with.

Is there anything I could add or change? Am I missing anything?

Please offer your criticism. I'd love any feedback!  ;D

Thanks for the help guys!!

nintynine.ninefive

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 11:20:58 am »
+1
 :) Good work!!
I've just gone through and changed a few things around for you, but go over it and decide what you like!

Just some quick tips:
- The film's title is all capitals, so make sure you always write GATTACA (and underline title! This is important so marker can distinguish between the film title and space agency)
- I would probably discuss the background of the film LESS and make sure you CLEARLY pinpoint the key arguments you will make during your essay (examiners/teachers will have previously read your book so excess background information isn't necessary!)
- Andrew NICCOL (not Nicoll - just check spelling before writing up, easy mistake to fix  :) )

I really like this sentence: Through the use of a “borrowed ladder”, Vincent assumes the identity of Jerome Eugene Morrow, a flawless genotype and fraudulently secures himself a place at Gattaca through the use of Jerome’s DNA. Vincent proves that despite the inferiority and imperfections of his genetic code, he can still accomplish his dreams.
(as was in your introduction)
but think it would be better off in a body paragraph.

This is how I've modified the introduction, but you can change it again if you feel (I am no expert, just making suggestions!!)

Andrew Niccol’s dystopian film, “GATTACA,” is set in the “not-too-distant-future”, where genetic engineering has supplanted the “natural” approach to conceiving a child. The film follows the life of Vincent Freeman, a “child conceived in love,” as opposed to genetic means. In a world were genes determine an individual’s potential, Vincent is deemed unworthy of employment at GATTACA, a top aerospace corporation, due to his “invalid” status. The coalescence of fate and ambition are explored, and Niccol demonstrates that hope, determination and passion allows individuals to defy their fate, whilst displaying the fluid nature of identity. However, he also shows the importance of fate and the limits it imposes on individuals, hence, demonstrating that to an extent, one’s life is predetermined. 

Olivia Shamoon

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 01:19:48 pm »
Thank you so much for your help!!  :D

I'll be sure to fix up those mistakes. Thanks for your feedback :)

If I write the whole essay, would you mind giving me some more feedback? 

Thanks again!

Olivia

nintynine.ninefive

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 06:34:42 pm »
Yes, that's fine  :)