Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 05:52:31 pm

Author Topic: History Extension Question Thread!  (Read 134223 times)  Share 

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
Re: History Extension Question Thread!
« Reply #210 on: October 25, 2017, 09:13:16 pm »
Impossible aha, cos that would require me knowing the sources as well since they're so intrinsically related! Sorry :( !
Haha no worries, better hope for something good then ;D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #211 on: October 25, 2017, 09:16:25 pm »
+5
Haha no worries, better hope for something good then ;D
In my opinion, Extension questions normally are pretty good :) The subject definitely is hard - but the exams themselves are accessible for history extension students. What I mean by that is unlike Modern/Ancient exams were they may use complex wording, or mention more specific details in questions in order to catch out those students who treat the subjects like a bludge, nobody picks up history extension because it's a bludge (or at least, if they did, they're trés stupidé), they pick it up because they genuinely have a passion for history. Thus, the ppl who make the paper don't want to punish you guys, they want to give you an accessible/fair paper, so you can truely show your stuff!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #212 on: October 25, 2017, 09:48:45 pm »
+2
Should your topic sentences for the 'what is history?' question be based off the main points raised in the source or should you try to directly answer the question in each and every topic sentence. I've always picked out main arguments/ideas raised in the source and used them in each of my topic sentences whilst also linking to the question.
Would this be the best approach? Or should i approach it differently
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #213 on: October 25, 2017, 09:55:05 pm »
+3

The best way to go about it is to directly answer the question through the main points raised in the source! You don't necessarily have to directly quote the source in your judgement, but as you want your essay to continually relate, that would definitely be the best way moving forward :) Sounds like you are approaching it well as you are now!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #214 on: October 25, 2017, 10:02:57 pm »
+1
(Image removed from quote.)

The best way to go about it is to directly answer the question through the main points raised in the source! You don't necessarily have to directly quote the source in your judgement, but as you want your essay to continually relate, that would definitely be the best way moving forward :) Sounds like you are approaching it well as you are now!

Hahah nice meme ;D ;D

Thanks for the clarification, this was always a bit of a gray area with my teacher he never made it clear.....
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

Zainbow

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #215 on: October 26, 2017, 04:27:15 pm »
Are we going to make an exam discussion thread for HIX?
HSC 2017 (All Rounder)

2018: B/Eng (Mechatronic (Space)) (Hons) & B/Sci (Physics) (Dalyell) at Usyd

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #216 on: October 26, 2017, 04:27:59 pm »
Are we going to make an exam discussion thread for HIX?
Just did ;)

Zainbow

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #217 on: October 26, 2017, 04:28:26 pm »
nvm I just saw it
HSC 2017 (All Rounder)

2018: B/Eng (Mechatronic (Space)) (Hons) & B/Sci (Physics) (Dalyell) at Usyd

kensie08

• Adventurer
  • 2018 HSC
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2017, 06:32:47 am »
Hey! :)

I've just started History Extension, and am trying make a start on my major work. I was thinking of possibly looking at changing interpretations of Agrippina the Younger in regards to the rise of the Feminist approach and "Bottom-Up" history, and using historians like Tacitus and Dio vs Barrett and Ginsburg.
I was hoping someone could let me know what they thought as this is the first year it has run at my school so I don't have many points of reference!

Thanks!!
2018 HSC:
General Mathematics 100 (14th in state) | Biology 91 | Advanced English 95 | Extension 1 English 48 | Extension 2 English 39 | Ancient History 98 (10th in state) | History Extension 50 (2nd in state) |

ATAR: 99.65

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #219 on: November 02, 2017, 06:43:48 pm »
Hey guys,

So my topic at the moment is: Critiquing the Traditionalist Narrative via a Revisionist Lens: The Hiroshima and Nagasaki Bombings. But I've just been noted by suddods that I might end up describing the two views rather than actually critically analysing them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could avoid that, or possibly any unique approaches?

Thanks!!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2017, 08:52:27 pm »
+2
Hey! :)

I've just started History Extension, and am trying make a start on my major work. I was thinking of possibly looking at changing interpretations of Agrippina the Younger in regards to the rise of the Feminist approach and "Bottom-Up" history, and using historians like Tacitus and Dio vs Barrett and Ginsburg.
I was hoping someone could let me know what they thought as this is the first year it has run at my school so I don't have many points of reference!

Thanks!!
Hey! I studied Agrippina in ancient history - she's absolutely facinating! Probably my favourite topic in ancient, and there are definitely a lot of historiographical debates that you can explore! I love how you are already considering feminist history and "bottom-up" history - ie. already looking at the "concepts" rather than the historiographical content. What I would suggest is making sure that that remains the focus, and that you also have an interesting/unique thesis. Don't just describe the differing interpretations - try and find a unifying theme. I think noting the consistency of "femininity" as a theme throughout all histories of Agrippina could work well! Ie. Looking at how, no matter what interpretation, her status as a woman is the defining feature. You could also look at how she is consistently portrayed through literary tropes (ie. evil stepmother, seducer, hypermasculine female commander) etc. etc. :)

Yeah, just make sure that you have an actual argument - not just listing off different opinions :)

Hope this helps!

Susie

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2017, 09:01:48 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

So my topic at the moment is: Critiquing the Traditionalist Narrative via a Revisionist Lens: The Hiroshima and Nagasaki Bombings. But I've just been noted by suddods that I might end up describing the two views rather than actually critically analysing them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could avoid that, or possibly any unique approaches?

Thanks!!

Basically, what I mean by describing is that a very common structure for a major work is:

Introduction
Paragraph 1 - Context (basically just the history of the event)
Paragraph 2 - Perspective 1
Paragraph 3 - Perspective 2
Conclusion

The person writing the report doesn't engage in the debate itself, or critically analyse the existence of the debate, but rather just outlines each side. Best way to avoid this is to find a thematic or conceptual through line - like the impact of (insert historiographical concept here) on the differing interpretations of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I just had a thought - feel free to discount it, but from what I know about the event (which tbh isn't very much), Hiroshima and Nagasaki remains culturally relevant universally for sure, as it ended WWII, but also within the United States and Japan specifically. A great way to understand cultural significance is to look at national history, and how it is taught in schools - ie. through textbooks. Analysing the way that WWII history (in particular the dropping of the A-bomb) through both Japanese and American textbooks could be very interesting, and could provide insight into the significance of national narratives (i'd have a read of "Nations and Nationalism" by Eric Hobsbawm if you want to give this a go)? You could also maybe look at the concept of morality and ethics in history, and how historians have to grapple with these concepts - especially with such a controversial topic as Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Like, a lot of historians of the event focus on whether or not it was ethical or "right" to do so - but is that even something that can be determined given the subjectivity of morality itself?

Hope this helps :) Just some stuff to think about!

Susie

kensie08

• Adventurer
  • 2018 HSC
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2017, 06:20:51 am »
Hey! I studied Agrippina in ancient history - she's absolutely facinating! Probably my favourite topic in ancient, and there are definitely a lot of historiographical debates that you can explore! I love how you are already considering feminist history and "bottom-up" history - ie. already looking at the "concepts" rather than the historiographical content. What I would suggest is making sure that that remains the focus, and that you also have an interesting/unique thesis. Don't just describe the differing interpretations - try and find a unifying theme. I think noting the consistency of "femininity" as a theme throughout all histories of Agrippina could work well! Ie. Looking at how, no matter what interpretation, her status as a woman is the defining feature. You could also look at how she is consistently portrayed through literary tropes (ie. evil stepmother, seducer, hypermasculine female commander) etc. etc. :)

Yeah, just make sure that you have an actual argument - not just listing off different opinions :)

Hope this helps!

Susie

Thanks so much, thats really helpful!
2018 HSC:
General Mathematics 100 (14th in state) | Biology 91 | Advanced English 95 | Extension 1 English 48 | Extension 2 English 39 | Ancient History 98 (10th in state) | History Extension 50 (2nd in state) |

ATAR: 99.65

Jett321

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2017, 02:29:29 pm »
Thank you for the information! Just a quick question in regards to the diary, is it allowed if it takes an online form or is that something that will depend on my teacher. Also, I've only recently begun inquiring into an area that I think i'll do for my major and my idea is a bit too broad. I wanted to look into the omission of gay history or rather a 'gay' interpretation of history, do you have any recommendations on how to begin, explore this concept or would you happen to know any historians with that approach to any era fo history. Any help would be fantastic :D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #224 on: November 11, 2017, 08:25:11 pm »
+1
Thank you for the information! Just a quick question in regards to the diary, is it allowed if it takes an online form or is that something that will depend on my teacher. Also, I've only recently begun inquiring into an area that I think i'll do for my major and my idea is a bit too broad. I wanted to look into the omission of gay history or rather a 'gay' interpretation of history, do you have any recommendations on how to begin, explore this concept or would you happen to know any historians with that approach to any era fo history. Any help would be fantastic :D
In regards to your first question, that depends on your teacher I'm afraid. At my school we could do our logs online, but I can't speak for other schools as it is marked internally. In regards to your potential major work topic, I think that sounds super interesting! I'm not super well-versed however in the area, so I'm not really sure what to suggest. I definitely recommend doing some reading up on the concept of social history/bottom-up history. Though that it's specifically lgbtqi history, lgbtqi history would fall under that bracket. In terms of case studies, Stonewall may be a good one to look at? Lgbtqi history pre and post Stonewall?

Hope this helps!

Susie