Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 18, 2024, 04:38:25 am

Author Topic: History Extension Debating Thread (ie. how to develop your "voice")  (Read 55099 times)  Share 

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
Re: History Extension Debating Thread (ie. how to develop your "voice")
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2018, 05:38:26 pm »
I'd love for this thread to be brought back! I still believe discussion is 100% the most useful thing you can do in history extension. The original intention was for it to be more student driven, do you have anything you want to discuss? :)
Not really. I just love this thread, it is absolutely my favourite one to read. When I have a spare 10 minutes I often read it just to get some more perspectives than my own narrow ones. I'm very shy and don't like disagreeing with people at all (I don't know why I do Ext History then) so just really love re-reading the thread and would love to see more of it :D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2018, 05:47:29 pm »
+2
Here's an interesting subject I think is discussion worthy:

Captain James Cook is probably one of the most controversial figures in Australian history. Yet the Budget just revealed that they will be spending $48.7 million over the four years to commemorate the 250th anniversary of Captain Cook landing in Botany Bay.

Considering how the Statue Wars started last year with a graffitied word 'genocide' on Cook's statue, do you think this is a good idea? Why or why not? If you don't, do you think the government should be investing money commemorating Australian historical figures in the first place or do you think commemoration is important?

Hopefully, this kicks the debate thread back into action :)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2018, 06:16:46 pm »
+3
Not really. I just love this thread, it is absolutely my favourite one to read. When I have a spare 10 minutes I often read it just to get some more perspectives than my own narrow ones. I'm very shy and don't like disagreeing with people at all (I don't know why I do Ext History then) so just really love re-reading the thread and would love to see more of it :D
So glad you enjoy the thread!! I really encourage you to give it ago, reading is great, but you can't just read in the exam :) this thread is a great way for you to practice your own ideas! No need to be shy, nobody will judge you or your opinions, or for disagreeing with their own as that is the whole point of this thread :) Even if you don't personally disagree, try and work out why someone might disagree! :)

Here's an interesting subject I think is discussion worthy:

Captain James Cook is probably one of the most controversial figures in Australian history. Yet the Budget just revealed that they will be spending $48.7 million over the four years to commemorate the 250th anniversary of Captain Cook landing in Botany Bay.

Considering how the Statue Wars started last year with a graffitied word 'genocide' on Cook's statue, do you think this is a good idea? Why or why not? If you don't, do you think the government should be investing money commemorating Australian historical figures in the first place or do you think commemoration is important?

Hopefully, this kicks the debate thread back into action :)
What's your opinion? :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2018, 06:41:05 pm »
+2
What's your opinion? :)
I kinda view this move as a way for the government to promote nationalism, i.e. the Three Cheers view. Personally, I'd rather see the money be funded in other areas, such as helping returned soldiers re-settle into society, or improve Aboriginal welfare (there was an article that I saw about how one of the reasons why drug abuse is so prominent amongst the Aboriginal community is because it's relatively cheap). Considering how they want to 'educate the new generation of Australians on the world-changing voyage of Captain Cook’s Endeavour,' shouldn't they be changing the curriculum to a more nuanced version of history? Coming from personal experiences and reflecting on my experiences in junior school history, I would say approximately 90% of the history curriculum is focusing on the Anzacs and the First Fleet. We get a vague understanding on how the Aboriginals suffered, but not in the greatest detail.

I think this falls back to the debate whether oral history should be considered as a legitimate form of evidence. Keith Windschuttle would disagree, but personally, I think exploring a person's memory is as valuable as a document. You need to take note of the medium in order for you to have an enhanced understanding of the past. I think my interview with historian Dr Jeremiah McCall makes a great point about different forms of evidence: 'When you write a paper, it’s not the past... Your paper is a new medium where you’re representing the past, parts you have selected and interpreted.' Considering how Aboriginal culture has a heavy emphasis on oral tradition, his disregard of oral history, to me, is kinda ethnocentric- you can't expect every single person to know how to read and write, especially in the past where education was only reserved for the European, rich men.

Anyways, here are some of my ideas presented through word vomit lol- would love to hear what other people think :)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

doritopope

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2018, 02:35:35 pm »
+2
Hello all,
Regarding the finding of Cook's statue, personally i feel that the money would be used to improve the education system's presentation of Australian history allowing for a broader and potentially more accurate representation to future generations. However, governments are inherently influenced by political and social agendas, and with the Cook statue, i personally think that it was done to, as owidjaja stated, 'promote nationalism'. More importantly, it has the potential to unite Australians under this one figure who is regarded as important and respected (generally speaking) as an Australian icon by people regardless of their political opinions whereas the government is seen through a more partisan lens. So while Cook may not be the first to discover Australia and while the construction of this statue glorifies the wrong people, i can see why the government would dunk so much money into it. That said, i do think it should have been diverted into other areas but it wouldn't be as showy or have the same social effect as a $49 million statue.

Regarding the recognition of oral history, i think it does need to be used more broadly in history. Though i did study the Reynolds v Windschuttle debate in class, the majority of my experience with this issue came through my major work which focused on Early 20th century Africa. Similar to the Aboriginal Australians and their tradition, many native African cultures lacked any written communication, couple that with the lack of formal educational opportunities during that period for native Africans and you have yourself a lack of histories/sources which explore that unique and important perspective.

Building upon the statement by Owidjaja about the exploration of memory in history, i find that oral or more personal accounts of the past tend to be infused with emotion which is really insightful if you're trying to understand what people went through. i went on a school excursion to a Jewish museum where we were given a lecture by a historian studying the Holocaust. I apologise for not being able to recall her name but she talked about an account by a Polish Holocaust survivor and how the Nazis executed members of the survivor's town on a freezing winters day. Through some more research, a newspaper was found from the area where the execution took place and it revealed that it was one of the hottest summer days that town had for a few years. So while oral accounts, particularly ones which come from someone who had been personally affected by the event, may not be historically accurate, it does help in providing insight into this period of their lives and the event from a personal perspective.

So thats my two cents on this topic. Hopefully it provides a different perspective, feel free to argue or build upon it!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:40:15 pm by doritopope »

LochNess Monster

• Forum Regular
  • I speak Chinglish!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2018, 07:05:12 pm »
+3
From a common sense point of view, Australia already has too many Captain Cook statues as it is. The amount of money spent creating statues is ridiculous, as he is already taught in schools and permanently ingrained in Australian history.

I am also outraged at the fact which my Legal Studies teacher told me about this issue is that they are giving $50 million to this Captain Cook statue and withdrawing further money from the domestic violence budget. His history is already preserved; why are we wasting money to commemorate a (dead) person when we could be the saving the lives of (alive/real) women who die every week, due to domestic violence?

When Mr Morrison said "I would think most ­Australians would warmly embrace this," does that mean he is excluding the history of the Indigenous peoples who clearly do not appreciate this, as seen from anonymous supporters writing "No pride in genocide” and “Change the date" on those statues???

Especially considering 50 million for a statute of Captain Cook vs. 54 million in total to tackle all sexual assault, domestic violence, cyber safety and elder abuse. It's shameful.

History is everyone's; not just a white Australia's. I don't think it is sensitive or clearly thought out. There are better ways to conserve Australia's history and that is not a proud moment.
*This links to Australian studies actually!

More info on the subject if you're interested:
https://www.megaphone.org.au/petitions/the-federal-government-needs-to-take-action-on-domestic-violence
ATAR: 89.55
⸜( ˙ ˘ ˙)/ ・゚☆✧ Sometimes wrong numbers are the right numbers ~ Cecelia Ahern

☽ “But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” - Yeats

kristieevans

• Adventurer
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2018, 08:47:45 am »
+1
I absolutely love this thread! I was studying for my trial (which is on Monday) when I came across it. It has been an absolute lifesaver in terms of new opinions (we have a four person class, our opinions don't vary too much).

Although I don't have anything much to add at this point in time, I absolutely agree with @LochNess Monster regarding government spending. It seems to me that the money could be better used for a whole range of issues, such as domestic violence, education for disadvantaged children or even refugees. History is absolutely important, but Captain Cook is already ingrained into Australian history.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples thoughts about the Ben Roberts-Smith drama. This article poses some interesting questions about whether we should be questioning the behaviour of our armed forces overseas.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/historians-call-out-war-memorial-director-over-ben-roberts-smith-defence-20180817-p4zy4i.html

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2018, 11:53:22 am »
Hello all,
Regarding the finding of Cook's statue, personally i feel that the money would be used to improve the education system's presentation of Australian history allowing for a broader and potentially more accurate representation to future generations.
Hey,
Welcome to Atar Notes!! Super keen to read all of your thoughts! :)

I definitely think that a statue of Captain Cook (especially one worth $48.7 million!!) is a waste of money. I’m going into education so I would love more money to go into schools and history ed. How do you think history should be presented (and changed) within our schools? What isn’t taught now that you’d love to have? What do you believe has been taught inaccurately/with bias?

I think at the moment the history that we learn is very Eurocentric (e.g in years 11/12 I mainly looked at Rome/Greece). There are some cultures/events that have been completely left out for me (honestly, I know almost nothing about African or Asian history). Ultimately, the history that we are taught is incredibly bias (politically through our syllabus, but also through the individual teachers who are teaching it (and in yr 11/12 choosing our option topics). Do you think there is any way to try and decrease this bias when learning/in the classroom?

However, governments are inherently influenced by political and social agendas, and with the Cook statue, i personally think that it was done to, as owidjaja stated, 'promote nationalism'. More importantly, it has the potential to unite Australians under this one figure who is regarded as important and respected (generally speaking) as an Australian icon by people regardless of their political opinions whereas the government is seen through a more partisan lens. So while Cook may not be the first to discover Australia and while the construction of this statue glorifies the wrong people, i can see why the government would dunk so much money into it. That said, i do think it should have been diverted into other areas but it wouldn't be as showy or have the same social effect as a $49 million statue.
Yeah, I agree with this that it is a form of Nationalism. I think that Captain Cook is ingrained into our culture (and to some extent our identity) through our education.

Regarding the recognition of oral history, i think it does need to be used more broadly in history. Though i did study the Reynolds v Windschuttle debate in class, the majority of my experience with this issue came through my major work which focused on Early 20th century Africa. Similar to the Aboriginal Australians and their tradition, many native African cultures lacked any written communication, couple that with the lack of formal educational opportunities during that period for native Africans and you have yourself a lack of histories/sources which explore that unique and important perspective.
I think that oral history should be used as a legitimate form of source. I definitely think that we 100% can’t just invalidate/write off entire cultures because their traditions and construction of history/use of oral evidence is different to ours. I believe that any source is flawed-just because something is written down doesn’t make it heaps more reliable. For example, Pliny the younger wrote his account of the eruption of Pompeii 10 years after it had actually happened, however he was one of the only key witnesses of the event who wrote about it.

Building upon the statement by Owidjaja about the exploration of memory in history, i find that oral or more personal accounts of the past tend to be infused with emotion which is really insightful if you're trying to understand what people went through. i went on a school excursion to a Jewish museum where we were given a lecture by a historian studying the Holocaust. I apologise for not being able to recall her name but she talked about an account by a Polish Holocaust survivor and how the Nazis executed members of the survivor's town on a freezing winters day. Through some more research, a newspaper was found from the area where the execution took place and it revealed that it was one of the hottest summer days that town had for a few years. So while oral accounts, particularly ones which come from someone who had been personally affected by the event, may not be historically accurate, it does help in providing insight into this period of their lives and the event from a personal perspective.
I went to the Jewish museum in year 10 as an excursion and also did my major on the Holocaust. My question was looking at 2 conflicting interpretations of the perpetrator motivations of Police Battalion 101 during the Holocaust. Regarding oral sources, one of my historian’s major piece of evidence was testimonies from Holocaust perpetrators. One of the issues with this was determining which ones were true because obviously they may have been lying (the actions they had committed were horrific & were filled with so many emotions). One of my historians, Goldhagen only chose to use information that was self-incriminatory all of the time. However, my other historian, Browning, used evidence that was self-incriminatory, and ones that told the truth some of the time. They both left out testimonies that were obviously untruthful. (a little off topic, bit still interesting!)

I think that there are limitations to oral sources-however we can’t really expect full accurate objective truth from any source. While I don’t think the weather on the day is a major factor, in your example, it depends on what is being studied, and then could affect the reliability and accuracy of the account as a whole. However, I also think that oral testimonies such as this, are effective in showing the perspectives and thoughts/beliefs of individuals at the time (probably a lot more than an academic history book would). Similarly, there a lot more accessible to the general public and therefore easier to listen to and empathise with.

So thats my two cents on this topic. Hopefully it provides a different perspective, feel free to argue or build upon it!
Thanks for sharing your opinions! Was great to read them!!  ;D Feel free to argue against, build upon or pick apart what I’ve written! I haven’t done history since last year so could definitely be a bit rusty (& a little jumbled/off topic at times!). Otherwise, I would love to hear your opinions on anything Susie has brought up earlier in the thread or your own debate ideas! If you have any questions on navigating the forums, feel free to ask or message me!  :D

LochNessMonster and Kristieevans, I’m going to try to respond to your comments early this week. Good luck for your exam this afternoon! Hope it goes really well!! :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 12:02:25 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2018, 09:03:24 pm »
+3
I'm a little nervous about posting my opinion regarding the Ben Roberts-Smith drama, as I don't want to be misconstrued as disrespectful of the experience of Australian veterans or soldiers so I'd like to preface the following. I totally respect any person who chooses to serve in the army and respect the traumas that they have been through, but I don't believe in upholding Ben Roberts-Smith as an Australian hero even though there is substantial evidence that he has committed war crimes. In terms of the historical controversy, I agree with the sentiments expressed by Professor Stanley, Professor Bongiorno, and Edward Cavanagh in the article. I get that Roberts is a veteran and thus should be respected for his contributions, but on the whole, I don't believe that Australia should commemorate a military history which is characterised by abuse/misconduct. As commemoration inherently involves some sort of pride or gratitude, how can we responsibly commemorate our recent military history when it is so coloured by the misbehaviour of some (but definitely not all!!) of our soldiers? While truth can never be totally found, the striving to achieve it is definitely essential, something which the historians in the article uphold. If we are meant to be striving for the truth in history, how can we ignore the misconduct of our military history in favour of commemorating an ingrained national myth? If, in the end, these allegations are proven false then I will happily take back my condemning, but at the present moment, I believe that historians should have the right to respectfully challenge any national myths if they do not fit the evidence.
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2018, 04:30:28 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
I know that this debating thread has been inactive for a while but I came across something interesting on Twitter. So a history teacher has asked "Who can be a historian" and there have been a lot of interesting opinions in the thread. Australian historian Michael Molkentin's response caught my eye:

The way I see it there are historians (contribute to historical knowledge); students of history (your Yr 7 students for example; at best they simulate the work of historians) and history enthusiasts (engage with the past as a hobby, entertainment, commodity). These overlap too.

So what do you guys think? Are we history students historians? Do you need to contribute to historical knowledge to be a historian? (Hopefully, this Twitter thread also helps you come up with your own arguments/ideas for this coming exam)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2018, 08:52:55 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
I know that this debating thread has been inactive for a while but I came across something interesting on Twitter. So a history teacher has asked "Who can be a historian" and there have been a lot of interesting opinions in the thread. Australian historian Michael Molkentin's response caught my eye:

So what do you guys think? Are we history students historians? Do you need to contribute to historical knowledge to be a historian? (Hopefully, this Twitter thread also helps you come up with your own arguments/ideas for this coming exam)
Not a history ext student, but i'll put this out there...
We are like apprentices. We're not full on historians but by engaging with the past as students of history, we're halfway there
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

imogen.b

• Adventurer
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2018, 08:55:18 pm »
+3
Hey guys,

Hey there, good question!

I do think that we, as students, are historians, because we are actively seeking to learn about the past and analyse it. We may be called 'academic historians', because we are studying institutionalised history, but also it can probably argued that we're not academic historians. I think that with the creation of our major History Projects, we are indeed producers of history.
I also think that, if people like David Irving (who "for his own ideological reasons persistently and deliberately misrepresented and manipulated historical evidence") can be known as a legitimate historian, then who's to say we can't be?

Let me know what you think too!   :) :)

ee1233

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2018, 09:12:50 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

I think that anyone who investigates, interprets and constructs a history (consciously or subconsciously) is a historian! Historians are responsible for creating a particular version of events - Anyone can do this (though most do it in an 'informal' manner).

I think the debate should be more about who are 'academic historians' - I think that's a hard question! ;D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2018, 09:34:34 pm »
+2
I do think that we, as students, are historians, because we are actively seeking to learn about the past and analyse it. We may be called 'academic historians', because we are studying institutionalised history, but also it can probably argued that we're not academic historians.
Hmm not sure if I agree with you there! I would argue that we as students are on the pathway of being historians since we're learning about the protocols of history (e.g. source analysis, citing our sources etc.) but I wouldn't say we're completely historians because the content we learn are limited to the syllabus- the syllabus being created by NESA/government. Because of that, what we learn is dependent on what the government learns. I'm not sure about other schools, but in primary school, we always learnt about the Anzac legend every year and in junior school, we always learnt about the role of Australians in WW1 and WW2. Even though in Year 11/12 syllabus we learn get to chose what to learn, there are still some gaps in what we study. For example, we don't learn about the role of the Japanese in WW1 which means that we won't get to have a wider perspective on WW1.

I think that with the creation of our major History Projects, we are indeed producers of history.
I would agree with you here- I think there's a difference between historians and historical producers. Anyone can be a historical producer (e.g. filmmakers, politicians) but I personally think that the criteria as a historian would be a bit more strict and unfortunately elite.

I also think that, if people like David Irving (who "for his own ideological reasons persistently and deliberately misrepresented and manipulated historical evidence") can be known as a legitimate historian, then who's to say we can't be?
I'm not sure about Irving being a legitimate historian. I would identify him as a historian because of his rigorous research but I would classify him as a discredited historian because of misrepresenting and manipulating evidence, which is a breach of the protocols in being a historian.

Not a history ext student, but i'll put this out there...
We are like apprentices. We're not full on historians but by engaging with the past as students of history, we're halfway there
I would agree with you here! I think that what we learn in history is what enables us to start our pathway as a historian.

I think that anyone who investigates, interprets and constructs a history (consciously or subconsciously) is a historian!
I would partially agree with you here- I think those who investigates, say family history, are more like history enthusiasts/historical producers rather than historians. It kinda goes back to whether we history students are historians. Personally, I think we're history enthusiasts who are interested in learning and appreciating the past.

Historians are responsible for creating a particular version of events - Anyone can do this (though most do it in an 'informal' manner).
I do agree with you here because different historians produce different versions of the past. Whether you're a postmodernist or not, historians always include different ideas, approaches, meanings to the past.

I think the debate should be more about who are 'academic historians' - I think that's a hard question! ;D
I mean, it could be about 'academic historians' :D The question is a bit broad so we could discuss what makes an 'academic historian'. The Twitter thread was supposed to be used as a source to stimulate some ideas :)

Can I just say thank you guys for contributing to the debate thread :) Trying to revive the debate thread so we can discuss/debate/share ideas (considering how our exam is this coming Friday)

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2018, 09:57:38 pm »
+6
Heyyyy guys! Don't mind this lonely Victorian history student crashing the thread ;) our hums boards are like ghost towns. And I don't know how HSC extension history works so I'm just randomly throwing my opinion around.

Anyway, regarding the topic, I don't think anyone can be classified a historian. IMO, to be a historian you have to have some background in studying history, but most importantly you have to bring something new to the table while acknowledging different sides of debates and the fact that history is never 100% objective. I think that at our level, as high school history students, most of us are mainly studying the facts - who, what, when, where, how, and why. We're seeing history through the lenses of historians, but mostly none of us can bring in new ideas at this stage. Even when we write source analysis or essays, where we're asked to present our own ideas, we're still mainly drawing from what we've learnt in a textbook.

There's definitely a distinction between someone who is interested in history and someone who investigates every aspect of it. As students I think at the moment we're merely representative of those who have an interest in the field, and who knows? Maybe one day we could become historians. I definitely agree with you on the fact that we're on the pathway of being historians. However achieving such title takes time and effort and it's not something anyone can call themselves. In my opinion, I think that calling students like us historians discredits those who actually spend years of their lives in research. 'Historian' is a title that should be earned.
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)