Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 02:09:59 pm

Author Topic: JMSS Entry For 2018  (Read 438614 times)  Share 

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
Re: JMSS Entry For 2018
« Reply #180 on: May 27, 2017, 07:50:37 am »
omg so nervous for you lol GOOD LUCK!!! YOU'LL BE GREAT :)
2020 VCE
English [raw 50 + 60/60 exam score]
Literature [48]

Offering 2021 English and Literature tutoring + resources!

Mewfle

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #181 on: May 27, 2017, 11:07:16 am »
IKR OMG  :'( :'( i have so much homework for school too, i feel so unprepared, i literally don't know anything aaaahhhh

Ahhh same >< I keep on having dreams about not getting in aaaaaaaaaa

Also, goodluck to the year10s trying out this year!! I hope you all do/did great c:

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #182 on: May 27, 2017, 12:45:48 pm »
Ahhh same >< I keep on having dreams about not getting in aaaaaaaaaa

Also, goodluck to the year10s trying out this year!! I hope you all do/did great c:
dude I had a dream a couple of weeks ago where I didn't get in and it felt so real oh my :(
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

miguel_1

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #183 on: May 27, 2017, 01:49:36 pm »
+1
The test was easier than I expected. I think I did well, the results just depend on how others did. My advice is not to stress about the exam and just stay confident. (I stayed confident by listening to 'Eye of the Tiger' on the drive to JMSS)
Here are my tips for those sitting the exam:
1.) If you didn't answer a question, do not let this demoralise you; you may not be the only one who got it wrong.
2.) Use the planning time for the essay wisely by reading the question over and over again. Express all the ideas you can think of. (Ideas that relate to the question, do not write inconsequentially.)
3.) For the maths test, try to answer all of them as quick as you can by estimating and doing it in your head, also marking the ones you want to go back to.
4.) Try not to talk about the test during the break. What's done is done, talking about it will not affect your mark. Eat, drink, go to the toilets if you need to.
5.) Stay positive. A negative mindset will do more harm than good. You want to get into JMSS, so stop thinking that you won't.
5.) Congratulate yourself for taking the exam. Do not talk about it with others who took the exam as well.
6.) Do not wait for the interview invitation, it will come to you if it wants. If it doesn't, it does not matter.

The result of this examination will not extinguish the passion I acquired during the months leading up to it. And it shouldn't extinguish yours either.

Not getting accepted is a test in itself whether you can stay inclined towards maths and science even without the help of a school like JMSS. I wish all the Year 9's the best of luck.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
2018: Biology & LOTE

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2017, 02:13:12 pm »
The test was easier than I expected. I think I did well, the results just depend on how others did. My advice is not to stress about the exam and just stay confident. (I stayed confident by listening to 'Eye of the Tiger' on the drive to JMSS)
1.) If you didn't answer a question, do not let this demoralise you; you may not be the only one who got it wrong.
2.) Use the planning time for the essay wisely by reading the question over and over again. Express all the ideas you can think of. (Ideas that relate to the question, do not write inconsequentially.)
3.) For the maths test, try to answer all of them as quick as you can by estimating and doing it in your head, also marking the ones you want to go back to.
4.) Try not to talk about the test during the break. What's done is done, talking about it will not affect your mark. Eat, drink, go to the toilets if you need to.
5.) Stay positive. A negative mindset will do more harm than good. You want to get into JMSS, so stop thinking that you won't.
5.) Congratulate yourself for taking the exam. Do not talk about it with others who took the exam as well.
6.) Do not wait for the interview invitation, it will come to you if it wants. If it doesn't, it does not matter.

The result of this examination will not extinguish the passion I acquired during the months leading up to it. And it shouldn't extinguish yours either.

Not getting accepted is a test in itself whether you can stay inclined towards maths and science even without the help of a school like JMSS. I wish all the Year 9's the best of luck.

Ahah, good to see that you're feeling better.
Thanks for the advice, and just out of curiosity, what essay topic(s) did you receive?
And do you recommend doing a brief plan before writing the essay?
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #185 on: May 27, 2017, 02:24:02 pm »

thank you so much for the advice!! You sound like you did really well, crossing my fingers that you get an interview !!
2019 -Biology

miguel_1

• Forum Regular
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2017, 03:25:44 pm »
+1
Ahah, good to see that you're feeling better.
Thanks for the advice, and just out of curiosity, what essay topic(s) did you receive?
And do you recommend doing a brief plan before writing the essay?

Importance of carbon in the ecosystem. Pretty simple topic, you just need to elaborate using key scientific terms. Make sure you answer all the questions. (I realised I forgot to do one with 5 minutes left. Luckily, I finished it.)

Yes, I highly recommend doing a brief plan.

Another tip, don't feel stressed when other people flip their pages/finish before you. I tried to flip my page as quietly as possible so I don't get other people stressed.

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2017, 03:35:59 pm »
Importance of carbon in the ecosystem. Pretty simple topic, you just need to elaborate using key scientific terms. Make sure you answer all the questions. (I realised I forgot to do one with 5 minutes left. Luckily, I finished it.)

So, you're given an essay prompt with a bit of information. But there are also questions that you need to answer? I'm kind of confused on that part, could you explain?

Is it something like this?:
The importance of carbon in the ecosystem
• Why is carbon important?
• How does carbon affect the lives of living organisms?
• What would life be like without carbon?

aayush_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #188 on: May 27, 2017, 03:37:21 pm »
how long did each of the test go for

miguel_1

• Forum Regular
« Reply #189 on: May 27, 2017, 04:24:23 pm »
+1
So, you're given an essay prompt with a bit of information. But there are also questions that you need to answer? I'm kind of confused on that part, could you explain?

Is it something like this?:
The importance of carbon in the ecosystem
• Why is carbon important?
• How does carbon affect the lives of living organisms?
• What would life be like without carbon?

It was a diagram showing the carbon cycle, with questions like,
What would happen to the cycle during the night?
How do organisms benefit from it?
What part does a human play in the carbon cycle?
Somewhere between those lines

@aayush Same as practice tests, 30 mins, not sure for year 10

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #190 on: May 27, 2017, 05:33:42 pm »
It was a diagram showing the carbon cycle, with questions like,
What would happen to the cycle during the night?
How do organisms benefit from it?
What part does a human play in the carbon cycle?
Somewhere between those lines

@aayush Same as practice tests, 30 mins, not sure for year 10

wow it sounds like you did really great!!! i betcha you'll get in :) thx for the advice! that essay topic doesnt sound toooooo bad... i could probably dredge something up in 30 minutes. what was the science reasoning like?
2020 VCE
English [raw 50 + 60/60 exam score]
Literature [48]

Offering 2021 English and Literature tutoring + resources!

miguel_1

• Forum Regular
« Reply #191 on: May 27, 2017, 08:32:38 pm »
easy

jk lol it was pretty much what i expected, you just need to use your best judgement

Mod Edit [Aaron]: Please edit your post instead of double posting
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:47:59 pm by Aaron »

Mewfle

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #192 on: May 27, 2017, 09:20:14 pm »
dude I had a dream a couple of weeks ago where I didn't get in and it felt so real oh my :(

I know ahh same >< I woke up literally completely terrified ahah

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #193 on: May 27, 2017, 10:54:54 pm »
ahh you guys, im stuck on what to study ;-; also i had my finger crushed by a kid in my class yesterday and its only a minor fracture but it hurts like a butthole lmao, i feel like i don't know else to study for :((((
2019 -Biology

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #194 on: May 27, 2017, 11:01:52 pm »
ahh you guys, im stuck on what to study ;-; also i had my finger crushed by a kid in my class yesterday and its only a minor fracture but it hurts like a butthole lmao, i feel like i don't know else to study for :((((

Depends. What have you already studied?