Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 12:03:25 am

Author Topic: Let's work out the HHD Sample Exam together  (Read 8421 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Let's work out the HHD Sample Exam together
« on: May 31, 2017, 09:15:14 am »
+4
As you may or may not be aware, VCAA has released a sample exam for the 2014-2017 study design. That's good, because it can be excellent revision - and gives you a very good idea of what the exam might be like!

It's also bad because VCAA doesn't provide sample answers/solutions.

So I thought that we could do it together - bit by bit. :) In this thread, post your solution to any question, and then get feedback on that solution! Ideally, when you post something to be marked, comment on another poster's suggested solutions, too. :) That way, we all get better at HHD together!

I'll also be providing feedback (50 in HHD), so I guess that's also a thing. ;D

Who'll be first? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
Re: Let's work out the HHD Sample Exam together
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 06:23:14 pm »
Does VCAA put up a sample exam every year? Because isn't the health study design  for this year, the old one??

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 06:27:25 pm »
Does VCAA put up a sample exam every year? Because isn't the health study design  for this year, the old one??

Good question! The HHD study design for this year is the 2014-2017 one, yeah - so the sample exam isn't new this year. :)

EDIT: To clarify, the current study design is 2014-2017, and the sample exam linked is also 2014-2017.

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 06:31:11 pm »
+1

VCAA usually only releases a sample exam when there's a new study design, but they probably put up this new one cause a lot of the content has been updated since the last one (e.g new Australian aid priorities, SDGs instead of MDGs).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:37:34 pm by remi »

fida

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 05:33:52 pm »
this isnt really a question about the practice exam but i just wanted some tips on how to achieve a 42+ study score for health? since you got 50

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 05:58:41 pm »
this isnt really a question about the practice exam but i just wanted some tips on how to achieve a 42+ study score for health? since you got 50

Hey, fida! Welcome to ATAR Notes. ;D

Not a problem at all - great question.

I wrote a guide on how to do really well in HHD, which you can find here. And here is another one, written by another ATAR Notes member who scored 50. :) Hopefully they help - but please ask more questions if you have them! :D

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 10:12:10 am »
Okay, let's start at the start. Who's going to give me a response for Question 1? :)

Question 1 [1 mark]
Define 'health status'.

Ayane_Abdillahi

• Adventurer
  • School: minaret college
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 11:05:52 pm »
+3
Health status
An individual or population overall health. Taking into account various aspects such as life expectancy, amount of disability and level of disease risk factor

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 02:37:11 pm »
+1
Health status
An individual or population overall health. Taking into account various aspects such as life expectancy, amount of disability and level of disease risk factor

Awesome! Welcome to ATAR Notes, Ayane_Abdillahi - great to have you here. Thanks for your response. :)

It's bang on, too. This is one of the definitions listed in VCAA's HHD glossary, so the closer to word-for-word, the better. VCAA defines health status as below, but it's pretty much exactly what you have - so one juicy mark for you! ;D

VCAA's definition
'An individual's or a population's overall health, taking into account various aspects such as life expectancy, amount of disability and levels of disease risk factors.' (AIHW, 2008)

This is a very typical first question for the HHD exam - very commonly, it will be a simple "define [concept]" sort of deal. So it's important to know your definitions! :) I always liked to underline whatever I was defining, too - just to make it as easy as possible for the assessors to give me full marks.

---

Onto the next question!

Question 2 [2 marks]
Describe the physical dimension of health.

Ayane_Abdillahi

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 09:21:42 pm »
+3
It relates to the efficiency of the body and its system and physical capacity to perform tasks and physical fitness

-

Hey can you answer this question
Outline two reasons that may account for Australia having a high human development index than china

-

Just to let you know I'm doing the definitions by memory instead of referring from the book

J41: Just merged your three posts into one. :) You can add more to a post by using the "Modify" button on the top right of a post you've made (I agree - a bit confusing initially!).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:16:03 am by Joseph41 »

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 10:14:57 pm »
+3

Onto the next question!

Question 2 [2 marks]
Describe the physical dimension of health.

the physical dimension of health relates to the efficient functioning of the body and its systems, and is inclusive of the physical capacity to perform tasks and physical fitness? (or something like that ugh it's been way too long since outcome one haha).

Outline two reasons that may account for Australia having a high human development index than china

okay someone will definitely have a better answer than i do, but while i'm here, i would probably say that whilst china is fairly equal to australia insofar as economics is concerned, australia has a higher life expectancy than china and generally better living standards for the majority of people. therefore australia satisfies the three dimensions and four indicators of the index to a greater extent than china does and that is reflected in our better ranking. (if i was actually writing a legit answer and not basically dot pointing in sentences oops, i'd mention life expectancy to back up the argument that we're better at the long and healthy life/health dimension).

although while i'm at it, i'd love to know whether we're meant to say 'long and healthy life' or just 'health' when referring to the dimensions of the index? vcaa didn't specify but the actual indicators on the website have changed, so does anyone think it matters which we learn, or? study design interpretation should be an actual vce subject i swear.
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 09:14:25 am »
+1
It relates to the efficiency of the body and its system and physical capacity to perform tasks and physical fitness

Indeed! :) VCAA's definition:

VCAA's definition
Relates to the efficient functioning of the body and its systems, and includes the physical capacity to perform tasks and physical fitness.

So yep, what you've provided is definitely worth 1 mark. :) Considering the question is (strangely IMO) worth two marks, though, you might like to include an extra piece of information - perhaps an example of what physical health entails. Thanks for your response. :)

Certainly. :) I'd really like this thread to focus on the sample exam, though (there's a similar question later in the exam). Feel free to pop any general HHD questions you have into this thread here, and I (and others) can help. :)

Just to let you know I'm doing the definitions by memory instead of referring from the book

Looking good - and a great form of revision. :) Both of your definitions have been pretty much spot on thus far!

P.S. I've just merged your three successive posts into one. You can add more to a post by using the "Modify" function up the top right of the post. :)

the physical dimension of health relates to the efficient functioning of the body and its systems, and is inclusive of the physical capacity to perform tasks and physical fitness? (or something like that ugh it's been way too long since outcome one haha).

Nice one! :) That's why this is good revision haha - HHD has so much content to remember. ;) As above, just to make sure you get full marks, I'd also include an example here of what physical health might look like. Can you think of a good example? :) (I also tended to overwrite FWIW, but better that than missing out on a relatively easy mark!)

Not Joseph41, nor did I score a 50, but your answer is almost there - it just needs an extra bit to get that 2nd mark. Firstly, an example is needed; this could be something simple as adding "such as having a strong immune system", or "high energy levels". It doesn't have to be anything overly complex, but it shows that you understand the content and have not simply ROTE learned definitions. Secondly, you're missing the keyword "functioning". This is very important as when examiners (and most teachers) mark definition questions, such as this one, in effect, they simply just 'look' for the keywords in your answer and move on. So if they don't see a keyword, no mark!

Other than that, pretty solid answer overall - just remember to break down the mark allocation so you can make sure all your bases are covered.

Remember that the HDI is calculated from 4 indicators: life expectancy at birth, mean years schooling, expected years schooling, and gross national income per capita. From these, you can just simply plonk one into a sentence such as "Australia has a higher ____ than China - an indicator of the Human Development Index", and use it as a reason. Australia will always be 'higher' than most countries you'll be asked to compare with since it's 2nd (iirc) in terms of overall HDI value.

Hahaha looks like you've already covered everything I just said - thanks, remi! ;D Really great post. :)

---

Time for the next question!

Question 3 [4 marks]
Briefly outline two indicators that are used to measure the health status of populations.

Ayane_Abdillahi

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 07:32:54 pm »
Would two indicators be life expectancy and mortality rate

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 07:48:54 pm »

They would definitely count! But you'd have to define them for marks :)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 09:18:45 am »
They would definitely count! But you'd have to define them for marks :)

Yep! As Heidi has indicated, brief descriptions are needed. :)