Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 12:25:47 pm

Author Topic: Module C - People and Politics  (Read 10206 times)

bellerina

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Module C - People and Politics
« on: May 31, 2017, 02:04:32 pm »
Hello

I am doing Brave New World as a prescribed text for this module.

I was contemplating over doing Metropolis for a related text... Would it work?

:)

The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
Re: Module C - People and Politics
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 04:03:12 pm »
+1
Hello

Correct me if I am wrong but I was told you cannot use a text that is part of another HSC Advanced course and with 1984 and Metropolis being a comparative for Module A it would seem to me that it wouldn't be allowed.

Can anyone verify? I was told today that I wasn't allowed to use 1984 as my related for BNW

On the other hand you have plenty of other options, I recently posted on the forum English Advanced Question thread about this too. I'm currently looking at V for Vendetta and Animal Farm. Also considering Snowden but unsure as of now.

Heavy Things :(

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:57:54 pm »
Correct me if I am wrong but I was told you cannot use a text that is part of another HSC Advanced course and with 1984 and Metropolis being a comparative for Module A it would seem to me that it wouldn't be allowed.

Can anyone verify? I was told today that I wasn't allowed to use 1984 as my related for BNW

On the other hand you have plenty of other options, I recently posted on the forum English Advanced Question thread about this too. I'm currently looking at V for Vendetta and Animal Farm. Also considering Snowden but unsure as of now.

I am not sure either, but maybe im wrong? i would love for the clarification if anyone knows too! Mm, not sure about Snowden, but i defs think that the other texts would work! I might change mine to Lee Daniel's The Butler - historical fiction film that looks at the government's control over the black population during the late sixties 

The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 07:34:36 pm »
+1
I am not sure either, but maybe im wrong? i would love for the clarification if anyone knows too! Mm, not sure about Snowden, but i defs think that the other texts would work! I might change mine to Lee Daniel's The Butler - historical fiction film that looks at the government's control over the black population during the late sixties

According to NESA:

Can a text from the HSC Prescribed Texts list be used as a related text?
Students will not be disadvantaged by using a text from the Prescribed Texts list, provided it is relevant to the module/elective concerned.

So you can definitely use Metropolis if you think it works ;D

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 08:07:41 pm »
+1
Hello

You're allowed to it's just not recommended because it showed zero effort in finding a related text.

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 08:32:05 pm »
+1
You're allowed to it's just not recommended because it showed zero effort in finding a related text.

So I definitely agree with parts of this argument - So like, there is no actual disadvantage in marking. A teacher won't see it and mark you down for your choice of ORT. However:

- A choice of another prescribed text will often not work as well as a text specifically chosen to complement your text. All the prescribed texts present their own themes in their own way - They don't put two close to identical texts on the list for a reason. So choosing another Prescribed may not work as well. If you do it, make sure it's not just a convenience thing and that it actually is chosen for a reason.
- If you pick a popular prescribed (like Metropolis), there are very established arguments and patterns with which to analyse that text. This means there is an established standard, and it will be harder to "bluff" your way through the analysis of the text. Not that you should be bluffing, but it's like discussing Harry Potter with a diehard fan who's read every book multiple times, versus someone who just watches the movies in the background when they're on of a Friday night - A much more rigorous conversation ;)

This said, Metropolis works well with BNW, and I'm sure you'd do it justice bellerina! ;D

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 08:09:33 pm »
Hey there,

I was wondering what the effect of setting a text in wilderness/severe winter would be? My elective is people and politics so if anyone has studied this and could offer some insight into the deliberate setting I would love to hear from you :) I'm trying to write about the setting of "The Crucible" and how Salem is considered the edge of civilisation. I know it's significant but I can't seem to express myself well about the idea.

I'm thinking of writing something along the lines of "Miller emphasises the destruction of ideology by framing his discussion along a “barbaric frontier". By characterising Salem's townspeople as "fanatics” he is able to frame his indictment of McCarthyism according to the oppressive attitudes which define his characters" - this is really rough and a basic illustration of my ideas. If anyone has any more ideas/comments about my few sentences it would be greatly appreciated!! :D

JeffChiang

• Forum Regular
  • TAFE=employment+money UNI=broke AF
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 10:48:09 pm »
+1
Doing another prescribed text, i believe, is a recipe for disaster.
- The marker WILL know the text extremely well and you may risk it being under analysed.
- If you're doing it for another module anyways, you may get confused with ideas between the two however if they can be completely separated, it should be fine.
- But the marker will have been exhausted marking many papers late at night and come across a Mod A text (Metropolis) in Mod C which will confuse them. Then the marks you deserve may not be given justice as they think their marking one module when they should be marking another.
Procrastination is a never ending revolution that will always end in procrastination

B A C K  B E F O R E  Y R 1 2

un-helpful advice

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 08:59:44 pm »
+1
Yeah I understand, for my exam, I decided to change what I previously hand in mind for the 'related' so I decided to do a speech instead :)

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
  • There shall be no boundaries to human endeavour-SH
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 11:40:43 pm »
+2
Hey there,

I was wondering what the effect of setting a text in wilderness/severe winter would be? My elective is people and politics so if anyone has studied this and could offer some insight into the deliberate setting I would love to hear from you :) I'm trying to write about the setting of "The Crucible" and how Salem is considered the edge of civilisation. I know it's significant but I can't seem to express myself well about the idea.

I'm thinking of writing something along the lines of "Miller emphasises the destruction of ideology by framing his discussion along a “barbaric frontier". By characterising Salem's townspeople as "fanatics” he is able to frame his indictment of McCarthyism according to the oppressive attitudes which define his characters" - this is really rough and a basic illustration of my ideas. If anyone has any more ideas/comments about my few sentences it would be greatly appreciated!! :D

Not too sure if I'm any help but I'll try :D

So the effect of setting a text in the wilderness/severe winter does depend on the context of the work. So if the text by ANY CHANCE was written between the 1947 to 1991 boom that's a direct link to the Cold War, quite literally. Otherwise the setting would have symbolic meaning in relation to the idea of the social environment holding negative connotations about existing corruption or oppression where people become secluded and wary of each other, their relations 'cold' and distant - which could be due to aspects such as McCarthyism. (That's the whole linkage to people - the politics could be the potential cause of this cold aura). If none of what I said made sense and hold no relevance whatsoever, just erase it out of your brain - I might just be rambling on about something weird.
Also, your current ideas sound quite impressive if you can make it work! I think something I might recommend is that Miller based The Crucible on McCarthyism to represent his views of the 1950s American society - rather than created his characters in a way where he could like you said and I quote frame his indictment of McCarthyism'. You can argue with me on this, cause it's quite open in terms of interpretation. Also, I'm currently studying The Crucible as well so ;) Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense?

Also, here are some potential practise questions for Module C

https://tripleaaatutoring.com.au/2016/08/11/module-c-questions/

:D
Bigsweetpotato Farm

Mod Edit: Post merge :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 11:53:28 pm by jamonwindeyer »

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 09:37:55 pm »
Not too sure if I'm any help but I'll try :D

So the effect of setting a text in the wilderness/severe winter does depend on the context of the work. So if the text by ANY CHANCE was written between the 1947 to 1991 boom that's a direct link to the Cold War, quite literally. Otherwise the setting would have symbolic meaning in relation to the idea of the social environment holding negative connotations about existing corruption or oppression where people become secluded and wary of each other, their relations 'cold' and distant - which could be due to aspects such as McCarthyism. (That's the whole linkage to people - the politics could be the potential cause of this cold aura). If none of what I said made sense and hold no relevance whatsoever, just erase it out of your brain - I might just be rambling on about something weird.
Also, your current ideas sound quite impressive if you can make it work! I think something I might recommend is that Miller based The Crucible on McCarthyism to represent his views of the 1950s American society - rather than created his characters in a way where he could like you said and I quote frame his indictment of McCarthyism'. You can argue with me on this, cause it's quite open in terms of interpretation. Also, I'm currently studying The Crucible as well so ;) Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense?

Also, here are some potential practise questions for Module C

https://tripleaaatutoring.com.au/2016/08/11/module-c-questions/

:D
Bigsweetpotato Farm

Mod Edit: Post merge :)

Awesome thank you so much! That was really helpful, i'm still getting my head around module C haha :D

cxmplete

• Trailblazer
  • School: Malek Fahd Islamic School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 02:23:48 pm »
Hi, for my RTs for this module, do you think it would be suitable to use the stepford wives (1975) or the wickerman (1973) or would they not suit this module?

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 05:29:49 pm »
Hi, for my RTs for this module, do you think it would be suitable to use the stepford wives (1975) or the wickerman (1973) or would they not suit this module?

What are your prescribed texts?

You should ask your teacher and briefly describe it. They should be able to tell you
Heavy Things :(

Mitchell.h

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 09:15:10 am »
Hey people!!!
I am kinda a lil bit confused...(yet again)
Our essay question states...'to what extent have the texts you have studied, provided you with an insight into the complexities of political representation?'
The texts we have been given are Why werent we told by henry reynolds and the film amazing grace...
Can anyomr please tell me what is meant by 'complexities'??... i think i am okay with unferstanding how the representation of individual, shared and competing perspectives shape political motivation... buuut the complexity word has just throooown me!!!!

bearbear

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 09:31:02 am »
+2
Hey people!!!
I am kinda a lil bit confused...(yet again)
Our essay question states...'to what extent have the texts you have studied, provided you with an insight into the complexities of political representation?'
The texts we have been given are Why werent we told by henry reynolds and the film amazing grace...
Can anyomr please tell me what is meant by 'complexities'??... i think i am okay with unferstanding how the representation of individual, shared and competing perspectives shape political motivation... buuut the complexity word has just throooown me!!!!
Hi, I haven't studied the texts you have mentioned but what I think is meant by 'complexities' is saying that political representation isn't simple. You could discuss how different factors such as context, motives, perceptions and the truth shape how people in politics are represented and how these factors can make it complex. Sorry I can't help with anything specific from your texts but hopefully this can give you a bit of a starting point.  ;D