Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 02, 2026, 11:11:13 am

Author Topic: Have you had an experience with God?  (Read 7831 times)  Share 

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tashhhaaa

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 899
  • Respect: +152
Re: Have you had an experience with God?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 10:32:17 am »
+3
I mean, presumably she would have been a nice person, but I wonder what inspired her to go above and beyond like she did. I'm not religious and I still like to be a good person, but I certainly would not have gone to the extent she did to protect someone else's things...was this an act of discipleship?

Of course, I will never know. Religion is the reason some people want to be kind, though. I've heard many people in my Christian setting say "I realllly don't want to do this but Jesus would" and then go ahead and do something without making a hassle except that first comment to me.

So while I totally agree, and my increasing interest in humanism as an ideology is in support of the people being good because they are a good person, I wonder what inspired her specifically, to be good.


just my 2c but I support the humanism theory here because even as a person that believes in a higher power I don't think that drives my actions. I never think 'do it for Jesus' etc, but maybe God instills empathy and kindness in people? Maybe God is speaking to us when we have a strong desire to help others?

I'm not trying to say 'I'm such a good person wow' but when I do something good I don't have a reason, it's just because that's what I feel is right. I believe that some people are more empathetic than others, and some of the nastiest people I've met are 'devout Christians' -- why isn't religion helping them to be kind or stop wishing bad things upon others?


heids

  • Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • *******
  • Posts: 2429
  • Respect: +1632
Re: Have you had an experience with God?
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 11:26:32 am »
+5
An overwhelmingly large percentage of volunteers and visitors of the sick and so on are Christians.  Not saying that only Christians are altruistic and kind - some of the absolute bestest people I know are atheists (am looking at you, atheist AN mods :P).  Nor am I saying that Christians do good deeds to like, rack up brownie points for heaven or something.

It's more, as a Christian, I was brought up saturated with Christian ideals - constantly hearing "do unto others", "turn the other cheek", "go the extra mile", and many more, applied to everyday life situations.  On the whole, when you spend more time reading the Bible or other religious texts and singing religious songs and praying and so on, they bring your focus and thoughts towards kindness and selflessness.  That inevitably shows in your actions.

An atheist can focus on all these things, and a devout Christian can ignore them - so you can have a kind atheist and a horrible Christian - but on average, I think Christians are kinder and more likely to behave like Elyse said.

Quote from: Elyse
"Why is that person so nice? Why did I have the pleasure of meeting them? This is incredible!"

Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeels.  That feeling is the most beautiful experience in life - and sometimes people just feel too beautiful (in character) to be explained by anything but a higher power.  I don't know.  Just don't know.

Also, that train lady - that's who I aspire to be.  Like fuck.  Yeah.  That's who I aspire to be.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

elysepopplewell

  • HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • *******
  • Posts: 3236
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Have you had an experience with God?
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 11:45:06 am »
+3
An overwhelmingly large percentage of volunteers and visitors of the sick and so on are Christians.  Not saying that only Christians are altruistic and kind - some of the absolute bestest people I know are atheists (am looking at you, atheist AN mods :P).  Nor am I saying that Christians do good deeds to like, rack up brownie points for heaven or something.

It's more, as a Christian, I was brought up saturated with Christian ideals - constantly hearing "do unto others", "turn the other cheek", "go the extra mile", and many more, applied to everyday life situations.  On the whole, when you spend more time reading the Bible or other religious texts and singing religious songs and praying and so on, they bring your focus and thoughts towards kindness and selflessness.  That inevitably shows in your actions.

An atheist can focus on all these things, and a devout Christian can ignore them - so you can have a kind atheist and a horrible Christian - but on average, I think Christians are kinder and more likely to behave like Elyse said.

Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeels.  That feeling is the most beautiful experience in life - and sometimes people just feel too beautiful (in character) to be explained by anything but a higher power.  I don't know.  Just don't know.

Also, that train lady - that's who I aspire to be.  Like fuck.  Yeah.  That's who I aspire to be.

So, a little HSC SOR here...

Part of the call of Christianity is to discipleship...treat others as you wish to be treated, live the Gospel of the Lord, and so it's really about these acts of discipleship, stewardship, and so on. Which, I agree Heidi, is a reason why some of the biggest/most well known/most influential (but also smaller) organisations for charities and medical support are run or contributed to by Christians. Looking at our own Australian perspective, though, of course we notice this more than we notice organisations run by Jews, seeing as Christians make up 52% of our population and Jews just 0.4%. But it is at the core of the Christian experience to be called to discipleship.

Now, no expert on humanism but am really engaging with it lately - humanism kind of works on the reciprocal experience of humans. So while I'll still be inspired to do something good, it won't be because it is a calling of mine, but because it's an understanding of being on this Earth, and simply having a responsibility to contribute to what I live amongst.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

heids

  • Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • *******
  • Posts: 2429
  • Respect: +1632
Re: Have you had an experience with God?
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 12:08:51 pm »
+2
Now, no expert on humanism but am really engaging with it lately - humanism kind of works on the reciprocal experience of humans. So while I'll still be inspired to do something good, it won't be because it is a calling of mine, but because it's an understanding of being on this Earth, and simply having a responsibility to contribute to what I live amongst.

That's pretty much how I see it for my own life (the humanist view, I mean).  At present, my behaviour and beliefs aren't motivated much by Christianity, though I agree with most of the principles.

And yeah, absolutely, I mentally included all religions in my statements, not just Christianity.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

K888

  • VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 3705
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Have you had an experience with God?
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 12:11:44 pm »
+5
This has been such an interesting thread to read! Really hard to get my thoughts out on this one, so what I've said probably makes no sense :P

My parents are religious (Anglican), and I went to an Anglican high school, however I'd say I'm firmly an atheist. Up until the start of year 7, I sort of just went with the flow and accepted religion. I never really engaged with it, just sort of took it at its face value I guess? But in year 7, when we actually started talking about religion in classes at school, and I discussed it a bit with my friends, I just sort of realised that it really wasn't for me. I didn't actually have any belief. This has sort of progressed over the years, and I feel like I get less and less spiritual as the years go on :P I haven't had any experiences that make me reconsider. At my grandmother's funeral last year (at a church, as she was religious), I didn't feel a deep connection with anything ethereal or anything. I was glad that she was religious, as it gave her a sense of comfort and purpose, but religion provided me with absolutely no comfort.
I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not believing in a higher power. I don't feel a sense of deep significance, I just feel connected to the here and now, if that makes sense.

That being said though, having had a religious education - I can see the good messages that can be taught through religion, like all the stuff we learnt about in RE was about acceptance, and love, and all that. All the chaplain's messages were positive, there was never anything hateful. So like, the principles are great. And maybe the fact that I try to live my life to be as accepting of others as possible, and kind to people, and helpful, means that I kinda follow them. I just don't engage with them on that next level haha.
I just think you're being a bit of a shit bloke for not being a decent person - being a decent person sorta seems like one of the main underlying principles about all this, but I reckon it's something everyone should do. Yeah.
And I'm glad for the purpose being religious gives people in life (provided that's not a negative purpose, of course). Which is awesome for them :)
It's just personally not for me.

I'm really sorry if that was quite pessimistic haha

spectroscopy

  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • *******
  • Posts: 1966
  • Respect: +373
Re: Have you had an experience with God?
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 05:49:08 pm »
+1
shoutout God, and to people who like biblical stories but haven't read the full bible i recommend the story of the penitent thief.