Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

July 01, 2024, 01:16:07 pm

Author Topic: Getting resources for The White Tiger  (Read 3577 times)  Share 

yazza7676

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Getting resources for The White Tiger
« on: July 11, 2017, 10:35:12 pm »
 Is anybody else studying this text, because this is the first year its in the study design and finding practice essays and resources is very difficult. And because its the first year for this text, wil the exam question be "easier", this is what everyone in my school thinks and i don't know what to think.

Crabstickz

• Trailblazer
Re: Getting resources for The White Tiger
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:52:39 pm »
+2
this is super helpful it goes through pretty much every technique!
http://www.englishworks.com.au/white-tiger-aravind-adiga/

in terms of theorists and stuff, a good one to study is Giddens?
or really just any theorist you can find who writes about the globalising world will mention rapid development and industrialisation in asia.

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 11:16:39 pm »
+4
Is anybody else studying this text, because this is the first year its in the study design and finding practice essays and resources is very difficult. And because its the first year for this text, wil the exam question be "easier", this is what everyone in my school thinks and i don't know what to think.

just checked, and it was on there last year! but it still counts as relatively new i suppose.

the resource posted above is probably better than this one, but: http://www.litcharts.com/lit/the-white-tiger/themes covers the main things. (:

i'm studying it and a little obsessed tbh so if you have specific questions i could maybe help? (: but yeah, it's not a classic or one of the ones they rotate on and off every few years, so the resources are very limited. doesn't mean the exam will be any easier though! i don't think you can ever really predict the question they ask, but with white tiger there are a couple really central themes that are emphasised so much that i'd be very suprised if one wasn't the basis for the prompt we get. it /could/ be a fairly basic one because there isn't a predecessor, or it could be quite complex, and honestly i'd prefer the latter because there's heaps of room to explore those ones (: (actually, what even counts as hard?? you can link literally every question you get to slavery/freedom/moral reformation tbh, and once you write a couple practice essays those topics aren't so bad to talk about!)

tl/dr: vcaa's not nice enough to make it easy tbqh but if you know the text well enough you can make it easy on yourself (:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:27:12 pm by patriciarose »
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:08:59 pm »
+2
^ Both Englishworks and LitCharts are excellent resources. ;D

Below are some links you might find helpful in developing an interpretation of the text:
A Critical Analysis of Aravind Adiga's The White Tiger: A Socio-Political Perspective
Literary analysis of The White Tiger
Themes in The White Tiger
Balram's Quest for Freedom in Adiga's The White Tiger
Aravind Adiga's The White Tiger: The Voice of Underclass - A Postcolonial Dialectics
An Odyssey from Autocracy to Outcry: A Study of Aravind Adiga's The White Tiger
Aravind Adiga's debut novel, The White Tiger, provokes roars of anger in India
India: A View from Below Aravind Adiga with Hirsh Sawhney

I studied The White Tiger last year and wrote on it in the exam, so I completely understand how difficult it is to study. Feel free to PM me if you need to bounce ideas off of someone, or if you have any questions. :)

yazza7676

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 12:43:20 am »
Thankyou guys, really appreciated the links! And i might take you guys up on the offer to discus ideas soon.
We just did a creative sac on the white tiger ( in the last week of last term) and that was alright, some predictable scenes that they wanted us to expand on if you ask me, and we did an analysis on the exam, which i found myself talking about pretty much all the themes in the text, i dont know however if this was a good or bad approach as we have not recieved our exam mark yet.

We were also told that you NEEDED to include the term Ubermensch in your analysis, is this a requirment for anyone else in any other school?

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:50:04 am »
Thankyou guys, really appreciated the links! And i might take you guys up on the offer to discus ideas soon.
We just did a creative sac on the white tiger ( in the last week of last term) and that was alright, some predictable scenes that they wanted us to expand on if you ask me, and we did an analysis on the exam, which i found myself talking about pretty much all the themes in the text, i dont know however if this was a good or bad approach as we have not recieved our exam mark yet.

We were also told that you NEEDED to include the term Ubermensch in your analysis, is this a requirment for anyone else in any other school?
All the best with your SAC. :)

We didn't need to include Ubermensch, nor did we ever discuss it although I definitely remember reading about it in my own time. In regards to SACs, do what your teacher says. When it comes to the exam, do what fits. Definitely don't throw in the term Ubermensch for the sake of it, but if its relevant, it could definitely be an interesting point to expand on.