Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 08:24:50 pm

Author Topic: Susie - Ask a State Ranker (Q+A Closed)  (Read 24621 times)  Share 

flashguts321

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Cranbrook
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: Susie - Ask a State Ranker (Q+A Open Saturday 3:00pm)
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2017, 03:23:19 pm »
+4
Hi Susie,

I am actually interested to know your opinion on Trotsky's role during the signing of the Treaty of Brest Litovsk haha.
Also, just wanted to know for both ancient and modern whether you wrote out full essays for all syllabus points and possible q's, or just chose to scaffold/plan essay questions?

Out of interest as well, did you prefer the core study for modern or ancient, as I far prefer WWI and modern as a whole at the moment.

Thanks so much in advance :D

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2017, 03:23:23 pm »
+7
Приветствую,товарищ

Have you ever been banned from Club Penguin? Did it involve starting a revolution?

Is your dog a good girl?

Oh, right, maybe an actual question. Considering you're studying Media Arts/Production, what films do you look to (badum tss) for inspiration?
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2017, 03:23:49 pm »
+6
Hey susie ;D
I really need to know how you remembered dates, events, significance, AS WELL AS historians quotes...
right now i am really worried about the thought of doing so much in so little time.... what is the best plan of attack in the actual exam?!
thanks heaps,
~BK~
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

Olivia Mckeowk

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2017, 03:24:04 pm »
+4
Hey Susie!
I was just wondering:
1. How do you recommend studying for extension history? Did you have a formula for the part A / Section I "What is history" essay or how did you go about approaching that? We started essay writing really late as a class and I have my extension history trial in two weeks and am finding it difficult to approach the essays without falling into a narrative-based response for part A.

2. For Modern I was also wondering - for the part B response of the personality would you just remember key historians and views / how many would you remember? And was this an organic response in the exam or a response you remembered verbatim and moulded to the quote / stimulus?

3. For Modern and English I was also wondering what you views on prepared essays were and if you memorised them for the exam. Also did you do essay plans for these subjects / Did you find them useful to do?

4. For Comprehension / Section I / Short answers section in the Paper I exam how long would you spend on this? Would you practice this? And what was your structure like / Did you have a formula to base your responses on?

Well done on doing so well! And thank you for answering all these questions! X

britt.jayne

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2017, 03:26:51 pm »
+6
Hello Susie,

I am starting my trial HSC exams on monday and I am very stressed about them!! Do you have any tips on how to stay calm and smash out my exams? I just can't wait till they are all over!

Thanks very much!!!

marleely

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2017, 03:27:09 pm »
+4
How do you study effectively, with out procrastinating as well as making sure you don't forget anything before the exam?:D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2017, 03:29:12 pm »
+5
Hey Susie! :)
Firstly, for History, if i remember 4 important events in Albert Speers life (include stats/dates etc.) would this be enough to get me through section a of the personality study??
Also, for English, is it ok to abbreviate texts names, because i'm using To Kill a Mocking Bird for my related texts and writing that lots of times is going to take a lot of time in the exam! so could I just write TKAMB after I write it in full the first time??

Thank you!!
Hey! So it depends on whether or not you are talking about part A or part B! Technically speaking, I wouldn't want to be talking about more than three events in either sections (that is if you are structuring your response according to events, which is what I did - so each paragraph is on a particular event). For part A, unless the question is an "outline (syllabus dot point/s - eg. historical context) of the personality you studied, which you'd then use a narrative form, I'd pick the three most important events, and discuss them in detail. These three events really won't change no matter what the question. For part B however, some events work better for certain questions than others, so I am hesitant to recommend only knowing 4. For example, a question based on differing interpretations may suit different events, than a question based on whether or not they were a product of their time - I know for Trotsky I used different events for both of these questions. So though yes, I think knowing four would be "enough", I'd still recommend knowing them all, at least in some capacity, just in case you got a question that worked better for another event.

In terms of abbreviations, yeah should be A okay :) I used them last year, however I didn't use an acronym, I'd just say "Mockingbird" or something like that :) (however I'm sure TKAMB would still work).
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

pianodish

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2017, 03:29:31 pm »
+4
Hi Susie,

I was just wondering how to structure a national study essay for modern (i.e. Germany). I'm just not sure how to go about including mini-arguments in each paragraph as you're not supposed to just do (e.g. for "to what extent" questions) three paragraphs on "to a great extent" and one on "to a lesser extent", are you? :)

So how do you go about making a really good structure? :)

Thank you.

Never.Give.Up

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2017, 03:31:54 pm »
+4
Hey Susie!!
Thanks for doing this  :D
Not sure if this has already been asked but... how did you actually approach Yr 12 right from the start of the year?
Also, what topics did you study in History Extension?

Thanks again ;D

rossg2017

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2017, 03:33:52 pm »
+4
Hi Susie,

I'm about to sit my trial exams and was just wondering if you had any helpful tips for the extension history exam (specifically the 'What is History?' section). Should my paragraphs be structured around various opinions/evidence for a particular argument with the source provided intertwined throughout each paragraph? Also, should my essay focus around a particular topic of debate (relating to the question's specific dotpoint from the syllabus) with the question addressed throughout, or, should my essay incorporate multiple debates with connections to the question provided?

Finally, how did you go about studying for extension history, did you just remember a basic essay structure and the quotes you would use? And how did you study for all your subjects in general (i.e. palm cards, mind maps, summaries etc.).

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:43:24 pm by rossg2017 »

nattynatman

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2017, 03:34:50 pm »
+4
Hey Susie!
I'm running quite short on time to study up all dot points for modern history, my study in the holidays were busy, but not productive :/

For Germany essay questions, would you recommend studying for half the syllabus dot points/key features and issues since the questions are usually split between the two?
Also for personality study (Albert speer), how much historiography should be implemented in Part B per paragraph?

Thanks!! :)

bun00

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2017, 03:40:31 pm »
+6
Heyo!
just wondering if you've got any suggestions on prescribed text compared to related text in terms of analysing in my discovery essay for advanced english? Some teachers suggest prescribed 60 and related 40, any suggestions?
also, i continually get told my discussion 'lacks depth' when writing an english essay, have you got any suggestions on how to get rid of that 'lacks' word  :(
tks hps!!
chz :D

Ashish

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2017, 03:44:41 pm »
+4
Hey Susie,
I have my trials on Monday, as was wondering whether you could tell me how to prepare for Mod B Hamlet, and any other tips for Trial success.

Thanks

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2017, 03:49:05 pm »
+5
Hey Susie
Just wondering what are your tips for scoring in the A band for the longer essays in Ancient (especially with Julio Claudians/Agrippina)? How many pages were your Sparta, Julio-Claudians and Agrippina essays?
My biggest tip would be to make sure that you are making a judgement! So many student write a narrative of the events, rather than assessing their significance. As much as it is definitely important for all history subjects to have a really good and detailed understanding of the events and issues, they should be used to back up YOUR argument. It is also super important to have varied sources - don't just rely on the ancient historians to back you up, look at modern historians, and even better ARCHAEOLOGICAL EVIDENCE! Numismatic evidence (coins), statues, wall art, graffiti, etc is often even better than just name dropping Tacitus for the 12th time that paragraph :)

With your detail tables, how often did you look at them/write things out and actively try to memorise stuff (or was it mainly done by using them for practise essays)?
I mainly used my detail table the morning of an exam. I'd use a "look, cover, write, check" kinda method, whereby I'd try and write down as much as I could from the detail table, then check to see how much of it I got.

Do you have any predictions for the essay questions in Ancient?
Hmm... I'm better at modern predictions to be honest haha. Ancient questions are so varied, that it is hard to say. For Agrippina I can almost guarantee a legacy/interpretations question. That pretty much never changes. For Julio-Claudians, I always found that their was always one essay focusing on the emperors, and another on the Principate. So maybe a question on the policies of the emperors and how they changed, or the changing role of the Senate/Army? Something like that, though of course take any prediction with a grain of salt :)

Do you have any tips for people who are good at history but find it difficult to write essays in English (I find it really frustrating that I can write really complex ideas in extension and get pretty good marks, but my essays in English are really bad)?
ahahaha literally me! I ended up trying to kinda mesh the two forms together, which led me to thematic english essays! So in history, I'd often structure my essays around the themes, rather than events. So i'd extrapolate the significance of certain aspects of the entire period, rather than focusing specifically on one event per paragraph. I started writing my english essays in a similar way - finding the themes of the overall topic (eg. discovery), and then how they related to both the prescribed and if needed the related. So rather than focus specifically on the text, I focused on maybe, lets say for Module C, how language reinforces power structures, and then extrapolate examples from both Wag the Dog and my related text, rather than write a whole paragraph on one text.

Were you expecting the marks/Atar that you received? Do you have any tips for people who are aiming for a highish atar?
Not at all! To be honest, I definitely fell into the trap of thinking that since I wasn't doing any maths or science, my ATAR was going to be pretty meh (I even had a couple of teachers tell me that...). Was a very nice surprise :) In terms of tips, I'd say a) don't stress about subjects/scaling, etc. Arguably my highest scaling subject (economics) didn't even count towards my ATAR, but Drama, which everyone considers a really low scaling subject did! Just work hard, and play towards your strengths (some of this advice is directed more towards people picking subjects, but the working hard stuff is definitely universally applicable!).

You’ve mentioned before that you want to mix film with history what type/period/personality would you most like to do?
Russian History!! Absolutely loved studying it in Modern last year. But I'd also be very interested in looking at US and British history as well, but more at the "social" history aspect, rather than the political history. Like the history of Civil Rights, working class, the "forgotten voices", etc. etc. :) (you can tell I'm an Hobsbawm fan lol)
Do you have a favourite song/did you have an exam playlist?
I didn't have an exam playlist, but I watched/listened to the Russian Epic Rap Battles of History on repeat (know all the words ;)) I found that this was good to break up Modern study, because I'm the type of person that if I break focus I can't regain it. So, if I was ever tired and needed a quick break, I'd watch that, and since it was still technically about Modern, my focus wasn't broken :) I kinda did this with Ancient as well - the Shaka Zulu vs. Julius Caesar one is v funny ahaha.

Thanks so much for answering all my questions-you are so amazing!! :D
No worriesss <3

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2017, 03:54:04 pm »
+5
I am currently studying for my Modern History trial which is on Thursday, what do you suggest as the most efficient way to study for Modern History?  :D
PAST PAPERS!!!! Tbh, writing practice essays, and getting them marked by my teacher was pretty much the only way I studied. I feel like I learned WAY more going through my responses with him, than in class. The reason I think this is so effective is because a) you are getting used to the exam format, but b) it is active study - rather than just writing notes on everything (just FYI - I didn't write notes for any of my subjects), practice essays (and essay plans) force you to assert significance, and to make arguments, which is soooooo crucial to history :) I'd also recommend writing detail tables, argument tables and linking tables as well! A detail table is a table with all the syllabus dot points, with a column for quotes and a column for other micellaneous detail (eg. stats, names, terminology, etc.). NO content notes - just detail. I've attached an example of the other two to this post :D (my detail table was too big to attach, but you can find it in the notes section of ATAR Notes!)