Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 05:40:44 pm

Author Topic: Tempestuously cruising through the HSC  (Read 74757 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Tempestuously cruising through the HSC
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2017, 09:28:16 pm »
So awesome to hear!! Well done

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2017, 09:42:02 pm »
My general mathematics test is tomorrow and I'm freaking out because I've left study till the last minute, as I always do with maths. I've been sick this entire week, it's literally the worst timing ever and I have no energy to walk up my stairs because this sickness doesn't let me swallow. It's the most painful thing I've ever experienced oml, not even kidding. I haven't had a proper meal in a week, and I'm so fucking fatigued but I can't sleep because I get crazy fevers when I'm in proximity with my bed for some reason. My GP advised me to take tomorrow off school, but I'm  going to push myself through it because I have an economics assessment on Monday which is already more than enough on my plate - I would die if I had to double up on exams. Plus, I have 2 essay drafts due on Monday for Advanced and Extension separate to these assessments, UGH. I'm briefly looking through my textbook right now and nothing seems terribly hard that I would need to specifically do chapters (except 1 question lol). I'm almost certain that I'll go into that exam with no study and be fine because most of it is just applying basic mathematical knowledge lol and the algebra is a piece of cake. Though, on the off chance that it'll actually be challenging, I know I'll regret not revising so I'm trying to achieve some semblance of study to diminish that potential future regret. I'm aiming for 90+, but given my major inclination to make stupid errors, I'll be content with an 85. I just wish I wasn't sick, because it is seriously taking a massive toll on my ability to be productive. I don't know how I'm going to manage completing 2 essays, memorising another 1500 essay and completing a research task over the weekend with this sickness. I fucking hate it
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2017, 10:46:24 pm »
+1
Rotten stuff friend - You do you, but if you wake up in the morning still feelin gthis bad I'd be taking your GP's advice. Rest until you are well, get a medical certificate for the entire period of your sickness (including what has already passed), and discuss a plan with your Coordinator/VP to spread your assessments out as best you can over the next couple of weeks before the end of Term.

Fingers crossed for you either way! ;D

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2017, 11:57:59 am »
My general mathematics test is tomorrow and I'm freaking out because I've left study till the last minute, as I always do with maths. I've been sick this entire week, it's literally the worst timing ever and I have no energy to walk up my stairs because this sickness doesn't let me swallow. It's the most painful thing I've ever experienced oml, not even kidding. I haven't had a proper meal in a week, and I'm so fucking fatigued but I can't sleep because I get crazy fevers when I'm in proximity with my bed for some reason. My GP advised me to take tomorrow off school, but I'm  going to push myself through it because I have an economics assessment on Monday which is already more than enough on my plate - I would die if I had to double up on exams. Plus, I have 2 essay drafts due on Monday for Advanced and Extension separate to these assessments, UGH. I'm briefly looking through my textbook right now and nothing seems terribly hard that I would need to specifically do chapters (except 1 question lol). I'm almost certain that I'll go into that exam with no study and be fine because most of it is just applying basic mathematical knowledge lol and the algebra is a piece of cake. Though, on the off chance that it'll actually be challenging, I know I'll regret not revising so I'm trying to achieve some semblance of study to diminish that potential future regret. I'm aiming for 90+, but given my major inclination to make stupid errors, I'll be content with an 85. I just wish I wasn't sick, because it is seriously taking a massive toll on my ability to be productive. I don't know how I'm going to manage completing 2 essays, memorising another 1500 essay and completing a research task over the weekend with this sickness. I fucking hate it
If you feel like taking a break, THEN TAKE IT. I'm 7 weeks into year 12 and i keep neglecting study in favor of other things to keep me sane. If my results take abit of a hit because of that, so be it. But the key is to make sure you don't burn out, and always are keeping yourself sane. This should take pirority over school sometimes. I have too many friends who went insane through their hsc literally, don't let that happen to you
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2017, 11:53:02 am »
+1
Okay, so I did my general maths exam on Friday and it went smoothly. There's one question that I'm a bit unsure about in terms of my working out, but other than that, I'm hoping for a 90+, which is a relief!

And yeah guys, I can see what you're trying to say, but honestly I have no idea how I would take a break. There's ALWAYS something to work on, so I feel like there is really no scope for that atm. I don't want to screw up any assessments, because I know that'll actually exacerbate my mental wellbeing later on and the pressure to "redeem myself" from a bad mark will be too much. So, I'd rather endure and persevere through this difficulty in the short term than shooting myself in the foot for later on. And Jamon - I actually did discuss, with the class, about having an extension for the English Ext essay with my teacher last week (for the draft deadline, not the actual assessment) because it's due tomorrow, which is also the date of my Economics assessment. She kept insisting on it being due on Monday because otherwise she won't have time to mark it to give it back to us on the Wednesday (which is when we have our English Ext periods) - as she is part time. Long story short, it ended up turning into a massive drama with the English faculty because she literally twisted the words that came out of my mouth and blew it way out of proportion. I know that it's convenient for her, but for us students, it makes it really difficult because not only is she part time, meaning that anything that is due MUST be limited to her schedule, but she DOESN'T accept emails or anything that is technology based so I can't just email it to her on the Thurs or Friday like I would to my Advanced or Legal or any other teacher. Also, she kept patronising me because I didn't hand in a draft for my prelim English Ext assessment (I had too many exams prior to it and couldn't get around to doing it, which is my fault) but yeah she basically implied that it wasn't good enough and I, in particular, couldn't do that this time. Just having her as a teacher makes me want to drop English Ext in all honesty. I'm not going to because I love the content, but man... the lessons are exorbitantly tedious to sit through

At the moment, I'm in the worst part of an exam prep - memorisation process of an essay - for economics tomorrow. I'm reasonably confident with my response, but I haven't handed in any drafts to my teacher or anything of that nature so I'm worried that may sabotage me when I get my marks back. Anyway, my economics teacher isn't the best with feedback (he always just writes one little sentence and that's it lol) so it should be okay. I hate memorising shit UGGHHH it's so draining and boring hahahah
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:10:20 pm by Jess1113 »
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2017, 12:08:45 pm »
+1
Definitely try to take a break after tomorrow! I didn’t take a proper break during the first part of Year 12 and ended up messing up my half-yearlies :P Hope your Econ assessment goes well! 
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2017, 12:58:24 pm »
Okay, so I did my general maths exam on Friday and it went smoothly. There's one question that I'm a bit unsure about in terms of my working out, but other than that, I'm hoping for a 90+, which is a relief!

And yeah guys, I can see what you're trying to say, but honestly I have no idea how I would take a break. There's ALWAYS something to work on, so I feel like there is really no scope for that atm. I don't want to screw up any assessments, because I know that'll actually exacerbate my mental wellbeing later on and the pressure to "redeem myself" from a bad mark will be too much. So, I'd rather endure and persevere through this difficulty in the short term than shooting myself in the foot for later on. And Jamon - I actually did discuss, with the class, about having an extension for the English Ext essay with my teacher last week (for the draft deadline, not the actual assessment) because it's due tomorrow, which is also the date of my Economics assessment. She kept insisting on it being due on Monday because otherwise she won't have time to mark it to give it back to us on the Wednesday (which is when we have our English Ext periods) - as she is part time. Long story short, it ended up turning into a massive drama with the English faculty because she literally twisted the words that came out of my mouth and blew it way out of proportion. I know that it's convenient for her, but for us students, it makes it really difficult because not only is she part time, meaning that anything that is due MUST be limited to her schedule, but she DOESN'T accept emails or anything that is technology based so I can't just email it to her on the Thurs or Friday like I would to my Advanced or Legal or any other teacher. Also, she kept patronising me because I didn't hand in a draft for my prelim English Ext assessment (I had too many exams prior to it and couldn't get around to doing it, which is my fault) but yeah she basically implied that it wasn't good enough and I, in particular, couldn't do that this time. Just having her as a teacher makes me want to drop English Ext in all honesty. I'm not going to because I love the content, but man... the lessons are exorbitantly tedious to sit through

At the moment, I'm in the worst part of an exam prep - memorisation process of an essay - for economics tomorrow. I'm reasonably confident with my response, but I haven't handed in any drafts to my teacher or anything of that nature so I'm worried that may sabotage me when I get my marks back. Anyway, my economics teacher isn't the best with feedback (he always just writes one little sentence and that's it lol) so it should be okay. I hate memorising shit UGGHHH it's so draining and boring hahahah
Okay, first congrats on the exam! i hope it went well for you too!
2: The ext english class sounds pretty toxic. I know exactly where you're coming from. Because i did extension english in year 11 and my teacher was pretty similar to what you've described. Maybe its best for you to just drop extension? I mean, you'll still have 1- units and you won't have to worry about it anymore. The environment is just going to be impacting you negatively, and if its that toxic, then for the sake of your sanity, i'd recconmend leaving.
3: Instead of trying to memorise the whole thing, just try to memorise the important  bits. I don't know the structure of economics essays, but for english i'd never memorise entire essays. I'd just memorise quotes, some basic concepts and explanation of technqiues. The rest you would have to shape to the question, but you can't bullshit your quotes!

I hope this helps!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2017, 02:45:41 pm »

Okay, first congrats on the exam! i hope it went well for you too!
2: The ext english class sounds pretty toxic. I know exactly where you're coming from. Because i did extension english in year 11 and my teacher was pretty similar to what you've described. Maybe its best for you to just drop extension? I mean, you'll still have 1- units and you won't have to worry about it anymore. The environment is just going to be impacting you negatively, and if its that toxic, then for the sake of your sanity, i'd recconmend leaving.
3: Instead of trying to memorise the whole thing, just try to memorise the important  bits. I don't know the structure of economics essays, but for english i'd never memorise entire essays. I'd just memorise quotes, some basic concepts and explanation of technqiues. The rest you would have to shape to the question, but you can't bullshit your quotes!

I hope this helps!

Yeah it is pretty toxic tbh, but the content is really interesting and I don't want to give that up just because I have a really bad teacher, you know? Ugh I think what happened last week was a bit of a miscommunication, but it still pissed me off heaps. I don't think the workload is crazy heavy atm to the point where it impedes my ability to study optimally for my other subjects, so I think I'll keep it just to see how I go in it. Omg handed in a draft yesterday for the essay though and it was honestly the worst thing ever because I havent really had the time to prioritise it since I had a double up, I'm literally dreading have to face my teacher and her feedback because it's literally just THAT bad. HAHAH

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
Tempestuously cruising through the HSC
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2017, 03:04:15 pm »
+3
So, I did my economics assessment yesterday and I'm relatively satisfied with my performance, but I definitely think I could've done better. The essay question was good, but I had to leave out one of my prepared paragraphs and merge it with another one (slightly) since I ran out of time. I kept having really bad coughing fits which I do believe really impeded my performance since I couldn't write during them, but overall I think it wasn't too bad. I also forgot one of my important statistics so I resorted to repeating using the one I already had, which is kinda annoying but oh well haha. I really hope I get atleast a 17/20 for it.

We had legal today and got our results back for the crime essay we did last Tuesday, which was surprisingly fast. We also had to submit a crime report for it, and I was initially so worried about my performance for that because I literally refined it the morning of the assessment when I frantically realised I hadn't done it properly lol. So, initially I was only expecting 90%. Anyways, I got 100% for the whole assessment, 25 in the report and 25 in the essay, PLUS a special mention from my teacher haha. I am honestly so relieved and overjoyed and ugh, just overall so happy. My teacher always gives us a "presentation" on the feedback before giving us the actual results at the end of the lesson, so I was crazy anxious the entire time. Also, I missed out a little piece of information in the essay which I thought could possibly impede my ability to get full marks because my teacher is notorious for being a harsh marker. Thank god it didn't. The average was 77%. I'm so glad I'm able to start off the year (year 12) ranked first, because I hate that pressure of having to redeem myself later in the year hahaha. I was also really worried about the outcome of this exam especially because I forgot to n/a for work and worked 5 days in that week so I seriously thought it would sabotage my potential in it. I think it actually helped me be more organised, in hindsight

In the midst of everything, I've also been refining my creative for Advanced, and I swear I have a writer's block. I just can't think hahah. I'm kinda worried about the unseen texts because I have the mentality of not studying for it since I won't be "able to control what I get in the test" lol. I know time management will be my ultimate downfall, so I'm really hoping I can finish in the 40 minutes hahaha though I doubt it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:37:12 pm by Lumenoria »

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2017, 03:27:24 pm »
+3
Got my English Extension draft back today and I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of critique I received considering the tiny amount of effort I expended into it. It was mainly just stuff on sentence structure/length and verbosity of my language. I'm going to fix it up tonight and email a draft in tomorrow, hope all goes well

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2017, 03:15:13 pm »
+1
Omg got my mathematics test back today and I got 95%. HAHAAHAHAHA I am genuinely surprised because I totally winged the exam, but I'm so happy that my sickness didn't really compromise my performance! The only marks I got deducted were the mistakes I knew I made, but other than that I didn't make any dumb errors. I'm kinda annoyed because the questions I DID get wrong could've easily been gotten right had I read the questions properly, but it's whatever. I've maintained my aim of 90+ for all my assessments so far, hoping it continues this way! HAHAH

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2017, 04:47:20 pm »
Omg got my mathematics test back today and I got 95%. HAHAAHAHAHA I am genuinely surprised because I totally winged the exam, but I'm so happy that my sickness didn't really compromise my performance! The only marks I got deducted were the mistakes I knew I made, but other than that I didn't make any dumb errors. I'm kinda annoyed because the questions I DID get wrong could've easily been gotten right had I read the questions properly, but it's whatever. I've maintained my aim of 90+ for all my assessments so far, hoping it continues this way! HAHAH
95%?????????? Congrats!! lucky you!
I only got 63% in my general exam
oh boy  :'(

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2017, 04:54:35 pm »

95%?????????? Congrats!! lucky you!
I only got 63% in my general exam
oh boy  :'(

Aw man, did you prepare a lot or was it just stupid mistakes? Honestly it could be worse, just prepare heaps for your next assessment (I'm defs doing that because I dont particularly want to get into the habit of winging exams tbh)

Yeah I know, I was literally taken back when I saw it because all I did was briefly look through my textbook lol. Considering I didnt study, I was only expecting 80s so it was such a pleasant surprise and totally made my day hahaha. To be fair though, I did drop to General from Extension Maths for the sole purpose of being able to get away with putting little time in maths HAHAHAHAHA

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2017, 05:02:04 pm »
Aw man, did you prepare a lot or was it just stupid mistakes? Honestly it could be worse, just prepare heaps for your next assessment (I'm defs doing that because I dont particularly want to get into the habit of winging exams tbh)

Yeah I know, I was literally taken back when I saw it because all I did was briefly look through my textbook lol. Considering I didnt study, I was only expecting 80s so it was such a pleasant surprise and totally made my day hahaha. To be fair though, I did drop to General from Extension Maths for the sole purpose of being able to get away with putting little time in maths HAHAHAHAHA
Hahahaha niiiiiiiice
Well i did study a bit, but most of it was dumb mistakes, but there were questions i'd legititamtely not ever seen before too!!
I hate how they do that, you study by doing practice exams and you think you're all good, but then you get a question in the test you've seen anything like it before EVER

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2017, 09:19:49 pm »

Hahahaha niiiiiiiice
Well i did study a bit, but most of it was dumb mistakes, but there were questions i'd legititamtely not ever seen before too!!
I hate how they do that, you study by doing practice exams and you think you're all good, but then you get a question in the test you've seen anything like it before EVER

Ahh yeah I hate that too, but I think especially in general, you need to have a solid grasp on fundamental mathematical logic because often by doing so, you're able to flesh out the process of finding the answer. At least for me, I've always had really good mathematical logic so I think that's why I was able to walk out of my general exam with 95% without studying. I have a friend who was really annoyed at me and saying how it was so "unfair" that I got a high mark when she studied religiously for the general exam and got exponentially lower than me (78%) whilst I completely bludge classes and winged the exam. I think for her, her disappointment stems from the fact that her way of studying is too methodical—when in fact she should be testing her ability to apply that study universally in an exam situation. When I do maths homework on the off chance, I don't just insert numbers into the formula per se, but rather, I have this natural inclination to logically comprehend why that is the case. Idk why but it's just always something that I wonder, because I've always had this mentality that having that inherent knowledge in your brain will allow me to approach questions appropriately even without formulas and such. I genuinely believe it is this logic that allowed me to excel in the exam despite flunking it, so I would advise you to shift towards a similar approach too because I think it will really help you :)