Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 10:30:55 am

Author Topic: Subject help for Year 12  (Read 1037 times)

shaner

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Subject help for Year 12
« on: October 09, 2017, 09:37:23 pm »
Hey guys!

I currently have a dilemma as to what subjects I should do for year 12. I currently do Adv Eng, 2 Unit Maths, Eco, Business, Physics and Software Development and Design. I'm doing alright for my HSIE subjects, coming 3rd in Business and doing just above average in economics. I'd really like to do them both but I'm undecided on physics and SDD. I'm not that into science and just barely passed my phys exams in the past year, I'm kinda interested in SDD and got decent in the yearlies but I'm really put off by the major work as I'm not proficient at coding. I have the option to pickup senior science but I'm unsure about it as I've heard it scales bad (and I know if I do well scaling doesn't matter) and I'm not certain whether I'd like to learn about all the different sciences as well.

I have some options:
- Drop SDD and pickup Senior Science/keep Phys
- Drop Phys and stick with SDD.

Any help would be appreciated!

Henry Kocatekin

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: Subject help for Year 12
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 09:47:26 pm »
+1
This is a bit of a difficult one.

It's the 'what am I good at' vs 'what do I like', OR 'what am I bad at' vs 'what don't I like'.

First things first, I'd say pick up Senior Science and wait.

Do you know what you want to do next year?

If not:
Ask yourself, which out of SDD and Physics are you going to apply yourself to and really work at?

Basically, keep them all for a little bit and either based of the feeling of what you actually want to put effort into, as well as what you enjoy/do well in this year, then you can make your decision.

Hope that's okay advice

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 09:54:00 pm »
+2
Agree with what was stated above!!

You will do well in whatever subject you enjoy the most because you will want to do it! Maybe head over to the science/technology forums and ask students from this year about what they enjoy most about each subject, what they find the hardest and all of that! But keep both for at least a couple of weeks until you get a taste of what the hsc course is like :)
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:55:03 pm »
+5
hi, welcome to the forums!

there's already a bit of a giveaway here - you said you're not that interested in science. if you do pick up senior science (or keep physics), and drop sdd, are you sure you're going to enjoy senior science? also, take a look at the hsc syllabus for physics, senior science and sdd, and see which one you think you'll enjoy more. another thing to think about - out of physics and sdd, which one will give you the most satisfaction when you drop?

remember, you still have time to drop (and try out all subjects), but if you're seriously considering picking up senior science, that decision needs to be made asap. and who knows? you might enjoy doing the major work. you might get a lot better at coding, and learn lots along the way!

best of luck for year 12,
fantasticbeasts
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 10:01:52 pm »
+4
Agreed with the above, stick with your instincts—even if it means you have to take them all and eventually drop them according to your likings. Also, doing a subject you actually enjoy is, I emphasise, so SO much better than doing a subject you hate for the sake of scaling and such. Seriously, take this from me—I learnt it the hard way. I sat through an entire year of biology doing absolutely nothing because I fucking hated it, and I knew I hated it prior to choosing it too—I did it because I thought it would be beneficial if I wanted to be a doctor... so I convinced myself that I would grow into it. I didn't lol. In retrospect, it sounds stupid.. but people make mistakes like that. If you're not into science, chances are, you probably aren't. Regarding the major work, I totally feel you. I'm making a video for Multimedia and I'm absolutely dreading it, but I know in the back of my head that I'll come to love it because I have a strong passion for animation and editing. Anyways, you just gotta find the right balance between your abilities and personal preferences. But, don't ever do a subject you hate—it's seriously the worst thing, ever. Good luck, I'm sure you'll come to the right decision
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Savas_P

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 09:50:26 pm »
i wouldn't worry about the majors, i know students get a lot of help with them and learn a lot of new skills.