Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 05:11:37 pm

Author Topic: Studies of Religion I & II Exam Discussion (and solutions!)  (Read 20132 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
Studies of Religion I & II Exam Discussion (and solutions!)
« on: October 27, 2017, 11:24:36 am »
CONNNNGRATULATIONS!!!
Studies of Religion...another one bites the dust.

I'm going to work through solutions shortly. So in the mean time - tell me what you thought! How did it go for you?
I think the short answer on Aboriginal Spirituality was smooooth and if you've come to my lectures throughout the year we've worked extensively on kinship groups so hopefully you felt prepared for that one! :)

Note: I'm putting solutions and commentary for both SOR I and II in here - so if you're a one unit student seeing a question or answer about something you certainly weren't quizzed on, do not stress!!! It's more than likely from the 2u course.

Core One Multiple Choice:
1. Which of the following is denomination switching...let me just say that damnit this comes up so frequently and if you read it really carefully you will definitely get this. The answer is D, Anglicanism to Catholicism. (if you've come to the lectures then hoping you heard my warning about this!!)
2. C, the Philippines.
3. I used process of elimination for this because none of the answers stand out as being obviously something, but rather, obviously not something. So assimilation, ecumenism, and protectionism have nothing to do with the land, so reconciliation is the best option. A.
4. This question IS SOOO TRICKY! I had to refer to my notes for this because I couldn't remember the date off the top of my head. The answer is D, 1985, because the first time the Uniting Church was only established in 1977. This is not at all an unfair question by any means, it is just difficult because it requires understanding something about the religious landscape from last century.
5. I used process of elimination for the second part of the source question too, the answer isn't secular praying, there's no evidence of multifaith worship, not evidence of interfaith dialogue, but we could say interdenominational praise is an example of ecumenical activity. It requires you to infer a little bit here and not get caught out between the "interdenominational praise" and the "interfaith dialogue." The answer is D, ecumenical activity.
6. B, the system of kinship.
7. Anglicanism did, but the others did not. Answer is A, 1.
8. The reason I think this one is a little tricky is because there are a few answers that could be right, but it's a matter of which one is the most right. The question asks for the "main" purpose of ceremonial practices, so while some of the answers are other features, they are not the "main" - so the answer is C, to maintain a connection between the physical and spiritual worlds, I believe. I am a bit thrown by this because talking about two "worlds" seems to go against my understanding of Aboriginal Spirituality as being metatemporal and animistic, meaning that it's all one, looping, narrative, rather than "worlds", but the content of this answer is most correct to me. I could be looking too far into it, what did you think?
9. I've read this one three times over, still a bit puzzled. I don't think A is correct because I cannot be certain interfaith dialogue was not organised before the 1970s? I know the NCCA is one we look at significantly in the course, but that was in the early 1990s, and they created a forum for MULTIfaith dialogue, but it seems too late...and then I don't think it's true religions have become more competitive and less cooperative. I also don't think religions are "less concerned with humanitarian aspects of immigration" - and tbh I'm not even sure what they're trying to say with this one, really unclear in my opinion. Are they saying, religions aren't trying to stop other religions from entering the country since the 1940s? Because I guess that's true, that especially with the Christian Churches working to dismantle the White Australia Policy, but what the hell are humanitarian aspects of immigration? Genuinely puzzled with this question, because then I also don't think there is a decline in ethnic diversity since the 1960s? Sorry to be so confused - I could be overthinking it. What did you put down for this one?
Edit: On revisiting this, I'm going to say the answer is A, and that's what I would have written, but I don't say it with a lot of confidence. I also just phoned an SOR teacher who said it really stumped her as well.
10. B, both statements are false.

Question 11: The short answer on kinship.
Based on the notes from the marking centre in years before, they've asked students to be more specific when talking about aspects of kinship. So you might specifically talk about totems, moieties, Dreaming, ceremonies, roles and responsibilities, and so on. If you're following the line that Dreaming, Land, and Kinship are inextricably linked then you could really tease that out in the response that removal from one (kinship groups) has a ripple effect into every other aspect of Aboriginal Spirituality. Not a difficult question at all, as long as you can remember to focus on the "removal" so talking about dispossession, rather than a pre-dispossession time.

The Depth Studies:

I think these questions were really fair and gave you a lot to talk about. The short answers were fairly standard, nothing too surprising in them. I think the quote given for the short answer for each religion was fairly easy to use and I don't think any religion had it too much harder than another, it just comes down to what you thought was the most accessible for you based on your study.

Interesting with the essay, Buddhism asked for ethics, Islam asked for practice, Judaism asked for ethics, but Christianity and Hinduism asked in general. So I would have tried to pick Christianity or Hinduism for my essay because there's so much more freedom!

Now onto 2U paper!

Multiple Choice:
12. Feature common to both monotheism and polytheism: D. Acknowledgement of a transcendent dimension in life.
13. A. Animist.
14. C.
15. Social cohesion, B.
16. D. The one about the scientist.
17. A - the absence of divine revelation.
18. C, about materialism - exploring new religious spiritualities.
19. B. Islam is the major religion in two countries shown.
20. C, statement one is false and 2 is true (although I don't like the wording of this, I don't think it's is completely true to say number 2 is true)
21. D, Japan to Nepal.
Question 1, 20 marks, about inner peace as an important step to achieving world peace
I think this question is pretty standard and fairly friendly. The quote is very accessible in terms of its message being simple and strong. It isn't very long so it might get difficult to reference it creatively throughout (yknow, instead of just whacking it in there) but I don't think its a curveball by any means.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:30:24 pm by elysepopplewell »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Zamura1

• Adventurer
Re: Studies of Religion I & II Exam Discussion (and solutions!)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:28:21 am »
Rip no personality essay

Multies were a tad difficult, but i guess essays were pretty okay, but would have preferd a personality essay.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 11:30:05 am »
Rip no personality essay

Multies were a tad difficult, but i guess essays were pretty okay, but would have preferd a personality essay.

I also agree that the essays were pretty okay! Which religions did you do for each of the essays?

daniel044

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 11:31:36 am »
I quite liked it, except for the multis.

Now the big question is it China or the  Philippines???
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:34:41 am by daniel044 »
HSC 2017: Subjects

-English Advanced
-English Extension 1
-English Extension 2
-Drama
-SOR 1
-Business Studies
-General Maths

ATAR Goal: 96

Zamura1

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 11:34:04 am »

Now the big question is it Christianity or the  Philippines???

Almost sure its the phillipines

I did a Christianity essay and Islam shorties

angelahchan

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 11:34:56 am »

Now the big question is it Christianity or the  Philippines???
you mean China? logically i thought it was Philippines,since many people from Philippines are christian, but something in my gut told me to go for china... has there been a past multiple choice on it before?

Microsoft Word

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 11:36:33 am »
you mean China? logically i thought it was Philippines,since many people from Philippines are christian, but something in my gut told me to go for china... has there been a past multiple choice on it before?

Chinese mainland people are communists which i'm fairly certain bars religious expression.

daniel044

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 11:36:49 am »

Yes!! I mean China, I had the same thinking as you and thought it was China. Don't think its been asked before
HSC 2017: Subjects

-English Advanced
-English Extension 1
-English Extension 2
-Drama
-SOR 1
-Business Studies
-General Maths

ATAR Goal: 96

Zamura1

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 11:40:49 am »
Was it just Anglican that fell in numbers, because pentecostal has risen along with the other 2

angelahchan

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 11:41:55 am »
Chinese mainland people are communists which i'm fairly certain bars religious expression.
no... it doesn't work like that (I'm chinese)- most of them follow folk religion which they don't count as formal religion

dannoabdelnour

• Adventurer
  • School: Mount Carmel Catholic College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 11:54:33 am »
Upload multiple choice plsssssss!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 12:05:04 pm »
I'm just going to wait until SOR II students are out at 12:30 to upload the answers in the original post, I've done them so just waiting!

I think number 9 was the hardest multiple choice - it was about which is true of Australian landscape since 1945. What did you all get?

PS. Answer is Philippines, not China :) I haven't seen a question on this before with these answers, but the answer is Philippines.
Was it just Anglican that fell in numbers, because pentecostal has risen along with the other 2
Yep :)

sameeraaa1

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 12:10:21 pm »
I had A for 9 then changed it to D which I feel is so wrong :(
HSC '17 -
English Advanced
English Extension 1
Legal Studies
Modern History
History Extension
Studies of Religion 1
General Maths

Janey123

• Adventurer
  • School: Dlsc
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 12:12:09 pm »
Think i chose A for 9.. it seemed the most right after a process of elimination 

spetsnaz

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 12:17:06 pm »
I'm just going to wait until SOR II students are out at 12:30 to upload the answers in the original post, I've done them so just waiting!

I think number 9 was the hardest multiple choice - it was about which is true of Australian landscape since 1945. What did you all get?

PS. Answer is Philippines, not China :) I haven't seen a question on this before with these answers, but the answer is Philippines. Yep :)

I did A, the organisation that was formed was the World Council for Religion and Peace (1970)