Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 06:07:08 pm

Author Topic: Studies of Religion I & II Exam Discussion (and solutions!)  (Read 20133 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
Re: Studies of Religion I & II Exam Discussion (and solutions!)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 12:22:52 pm »
I did A, the organisation that was formed was the World Council for Religion and Peace (1970)

You legend!!! So A was correct, hooray!

PS. I've written the answers all up, I'll post them in ten minutes.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 12:42:19 pm »
I was tossing up between China (gut feeling) and the Philippines (because I know people from the Philippines who are Christian haha) but put China. And I knew the Uniting Church was formed in 19... followed by two of the same digits eg. 66,77,88 etc. but had not looked at when it was formed for ages so put 1975. Other than that it looks like they were all right which is good! Short answers were fine and essay was perfect for Christianity seeing that for a holistic essay I was going to base it on the importance of love and Jesus' commandment of love anyway. Thanks for all your help Elyse :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

snowflakes

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 12:44:44 pm »
Hey Elyse, how do you think this paper would scale?

Dante1091

• Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 01:00:45 pm »
Darn...I put China since I presumed that even though most of China wouldn't be Christian, they would still outweigh the number of Christian Phillipines

Also, would it be fine I used all aspects (person, ethics and practice) for my essay? Since I was talking to a mate and he said that they only said one aspect was needed

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 01:03:20 pm »
Darn...I put China since I presumed that even though most of China wouldn't be Christian, they would still outweigh the number of Christian Phillipines

Also, would it be fine I used all aspects (person, ethics and practice) for my essay? Since I was talking to a mate and he said that they only said one aspect was needed

Depends what question you did? It was fine for Christianity which I did but Judaism and Islam for instance specified what you exactly had to talk about and you are expected to stick to it - so depends :) I am talking on SOR 1 unit btw I don't do 2 unit
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 01:04:48 pm »
I was tossing up between China (gut feeling) and the Philippines (because I know people from the Philippines who are Christian haha) but put China. And I knew the Uniting Church was formed in 19... followed by two of the same digits eg. 66,77,88 etc. but had not looked at when it was formed for ages so put 1975. Other than that it looks like they were all right which is good! Short answers were fine and essay was perfect for Christianity seeing that for a holistic essay I was going to base it on the importance of love and Jesus' commandment of love anyway. Thanks for all your help Elyse :)

I think it's interesting they put China as an option, evidently it through a few people off! The Uniting Church question was tricky like I said I couldn't remember the date off the top of my head so I had to refer to my notes. So glad the essay worked well for you! :) Thank YOU for all of your hard work dancing phalanges, it's been inspiring :)

Hey Elyse, how do you think this paper would scale?

It was a standard exam so I'm not expecting anything spectacular alignment wise. There were some tricky multiple choice questions but overall the exam wasn't too surprising :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 01:07:10 pm »
I think it's interesting they put China as an option, evidently it through a few people off! The Uniting Church question was tricky like I said I couldn't remember the date off the top of my head so I had to refer to my notes. So glad the essay worked well for you! :) Thank YOU for all of your hard work dancing phalanges, it's been inspiring :)

It was a standard exam so I'm not expecting anything spectacular alignment wise. There were some tricky multiple choice questions but overall the exam wasn't too surprising :)

No worries Elyse! :) Yeah memorised all those post 45 census stats but didn't even put into my notes anything about the Uniting Church haha!

Dante1091

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 01:08:45 pm »
Depends what question you did? It was fine for Christianity which I did but Judaism and Islam for instance specified what you exactly had to talk about and you are expected to stick to it - so depends :) I am talking on SOR 1 unit btw I don't do 2 unit

I did Judaism

But I thought it meant we had to refer to it, not ONLY it

mashroumariam

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 01:10:34 pm »
I was quite stumped with question 19 for multiple choice as Lebanon doesn't have an official census, but it's been assumed there's an equal amount of Muslims and Christians and the government is also secular. I kept over thinking that question but  ended up going with A (1 country - Malaysia) :(

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 01:14:18 pm »
I did Judaism

But I thought it meant we had to refer to it, not ONLY it

Just asked my friend who did judaism and he said you were supposed to only refer to ethics. When it says in your response refer to ethics or something similar it means only that sorry! I'm guessing they will only mark you on your ethics stuff so if you have enough on that you will be alright!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 01:15:10 pm »
I was quite stumped with question 19 for multiple choice as Lebanon doesn't have an official census, but it's been assumed there's an equal amount of Muslims and Christians and the government is also secular. I kept over thinking that question but  ended up going with A (1 country - Malaysia) :(

Hey there! I see your confusion. I believe most SOR resources refer to Lebanon as having around a 54% Muslim population, and I've done a quick google search and that seems to be the most immediate response as well. I didn't know Lebanon doesn't have a census like we do, really interesting. So I'm betting Lebanon is included as being a majority Muslim country, but it is very close.

daenyy

• Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 01:17:48 pm »
yeah, i put A for Q9 too :) does anyone know what a band 6 for 2 unit would be/has been in the past??  :) :)

lcamilleri.53

• Trailblazer
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 01:19:26 pm »
I even thought the agnostic question in the multiple choice was debatable given they're not like atheists in the fact that they flat out don't believe in transcendent dimension and I think I ended up putting D which I am not convinced by in the slightest

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 01:20:16 pm »
Oh god, I'm panicking now. Oh s&*t

It was really confusing and a tad slack that some ones were specifically about one bit of the depth study whilst others you could talk about all! Don't worry about it too much, how much did you write about ethics for? Use it as a lesson if you have more HSC exams to read the question :) Just push on it's in the past now, at least you wrote about ethics! :)

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 01:23:45 pm »
I got all but 1 MC correct (Uniting Church dammit!). I did a good deal on totems for kinship but I didn't mention as much terminology as I should've. I also talked about how Aboriginals are trying to revive the vestiges of dying kinship in contemporary times through modern means, such as the Aboriginal and Islander Dance Theatre (any idea as to whether this is relevant and works? :P).

Section 2 was good, Section 3 was pretty good - other than incorporating a few more Buddhist terms, I liked my essay. Overall, surprisingly easy.